Sick Days

Hi all,

Situation - I work as a teacher for an agency at a Government school, I am on an 11 month contract. I pay the 750 Baht a month Social fund.

I get 2000 Baht a month 'bonus' for 100% attendance on top of my wage

If I am off sick for 1 day, (with or without a doctors note), I am charged 1200 Baht for that day and lose the 2000 Baht bonus.

If I give less than 1 business days notice of being sick, I am charged even more than the 1200 Baht.

Question - Is this right/correct/legal within Labour law ? ( I am aware that Labour law allows for up to 30 days sick per year, but should they be paid ?)

Thanks

An employee must be granted a minimum of 30 days paid sick leave each year. An employee using sick leave for three consecutive working days can be required to provide a physician's certificate proving the illness.

Labor Protection

The maximum probationary period permissible under Thai employment law is 120 days. All employers are required by labour law to provide at least 13 official public holidays per year, and six vacation days after one full year of service. Apart from salary, all benefits arising from employment are regarded as assessable income subject to withholding tax at a progressive rate. Under Thailand labor law an employee is entitled to annual sick leave of 30 working days per year, with full pay. In addition to sick-leave, a pregnant woman is entitled to 90 days of maternity leave (inclusive of holidays), including 45 work days at full pay.

Employment law

They're either screwing you or ignorant of the law. You can take it up with the labor department.

THis post raises some interesting questions for the TV experts. He works for an agency but is in a government school.

Is this as treated as working in a private school so the Labor act does not apply. I wonder what the situation would be if he worked for an agency but in a private school. Is his employment with the agency in which labor law applies or with a private school and it does not.

My guess is in this case it does apply so twll the school you will check with the labor department about the situation and see the result.