Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

RamdomChances

ahem, as most of you guessed, it translates literally to balls against the tank (of the bike), tits against the back (of the rider). 

and, being gorgeous and charming, of course my bf shared it only within the context of the conversation and the girls present at that time loved it, thought it was hilarious. it's short, it rhymes, it's easy to remember!

khai, not kai.

khai, not kai.
ไก่ "khai"=chick

ไข่ "kai"=egg

What's your bf trying to say? :o

Snowleopard.

Depending on which transcription system you use, it is

ไก่ "kai"=chick

ไข่ "khai"=egg

OR

ไก่ "gai"=chick

ไข่ "kai"=egg

The 'h' in "kh" is there to indicate the aspirated sound (puff of air) which occurs with 'khor khai' ข but not with 'kor kai' ก.

Some transcription systems use "k" for ข and "g" ก instead... but if you choose to use the pair "kh" and "k", you have to assign "kh" to ข and "k" to ก , otherwise it makes no sense at all.

In this case, "khai" means "testicle" not "egg".

ไก่ "kai"=chick

ไข่ "khai"=egg

OR

ไก่ "gai"=chick

ไข่ "kai"=egg

The 'h' in "kh" is there to indicate the aspirated sound (puff of air) which occurs with 'khor khai' ข but not with 'kor kai' ก.

The 'h' in "kh" is there to indicate the aspirated sound (puff of air)

When I think about it,you're actually right about that one!

Thanks for the insight. -_-

You're quite good at Romanized transliterations of Thai,I give you that! :(

In this case, "khai" means "testicle" not "egg".

Wow! :wub: Did you learn that from your mate C.W.? :D

Sweetball also means testicle now,doesn't it? :o (ลูกอัณฑะหวานหรือไข่หวาน "luk ahn-ta waan reu khai waan"? :D )

What happened to the pluralty and symmetry of the whole thing there,Sweet-nut? :D

The "ball" is in your corner now "Me-a-dish",and there you're cornered with your lone ball.(pun :D )

ไม่ต้องเสียใจนะครับ นอกจากเธอเอง คนที่มีชื่อเสียงดังหลายคนก็มีลูกอัณฑะแต่ข้างเดี่ยวเหมือนกัน ตัวอย่างเช่นอดอล์ฟ ฮิตเลอร์เป็นด้น

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

continuing with the theme of 'dit', i learned this tonight (let's see if i can remember it correctly):

'na baan dit maenam, lang na phukao, tua baan jamnong'

romanisation is not the best and i'm too lazy to check, but it means 'front of the house looks onto a river, back of the house to a mountain (auspicious according to feng shui), but the house is mortgaged'

for example, we booked a private room for dinner at fuji and were charged a fee for it when the bill came. one of the people at the table used the expression for 'good location but there's a catch'.

continuing with the theme of 'dit', i learned this tonight (let's see if i can remember it correctly):

'na baan dit maenam, lang na phukao, tua baan jamnong'

romanisation is not the best and i'm too lazy to check, but it means 'front of the house looks onto a  river, back of the house to a mountain (auspicious according to feng shui), but the house is mortgaged'

for example, we booked a private room for dinner at fuji and were charged a fee for it when the bill came.  one of the people at the table used the expression for 'good location but there's a catch'.

Hi Jennscoot, :D

I think I've heard that expression and it's written like this in Thai.

หน้าบ้านติดแม่น้ำ หลังบ้านเป็นภูเขา ตัวบ้านจำนอง

"naa baan dtit mae-nahm, lahng baan pben poo-kaow, dto-a baan jum-norng" :o

You've added some nice expression to this thread.Keep'em coming please! :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

How would you say

"cut your/his dick and give to duck"

My gf thinks this is the funniest thing ever (I don't  :D ) that's how she says it in English.

Usually accompanied with scizzor cutting finger actions.

Hi withnail, -_-

You could try saying it like this in Thai... ตัดกึ่นให้เป็ดกิน "dtut geun hai ped gin"! :o

Don't plant too many ideas into her head now cuz some lasses can display quite unpredictable behaviour once they've gone ballistic . :D

One Thai chick even "bobbitted" off a guy's member and sent it away on a Bangkok city tour by helium balloons! :wub: Off it flew to unknown destinations. :D

Nobody knows where it finally landed or whether the ducks eventually got to feast on that one. :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Don't worry I'm fully aware of the seriousness of the situation. I'm just thinking that perhaps people should start putting this in the phrase books even before sawadee khrup so all the farang males in Thailand can prepare themselves incase they ever hear it.

2 Things though, firstly any chance you could write the thai script again in a larger font, I'm just learning and find that far too small. Secondly geun, does that mean what I think it does or something else?

Don't worry I'm fully aware of the seriousness of the situation. I'm just thinking that perhaps people should start putting this in the phrase books even before sawadee khrup so all the farang males in Thailand can prepare themselves incase they ever hear it.

2 Things though, firstly any chance you could write the thai script again in a larger font, I'm just learning and find that far too small. Secondly geun, does that mean what I think it does or something else?

Hi withnail,

It's slang and and means what you think! :D

You could use the magnifier to enlarge it. :D

It's spelt_ "goh-gai"_"sara eu"_"mai judthawah" tone mark_"noh noo".(กึ่น ) :o

You won't find it in any decent dictionary because it's slang and it can also mean one more thing. :D

If you can't see it with your magnifier,I'll try to enlarge it later.

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Isn't the literal meaning of กึ๋น the innards of a chicken or duck and hence the expression รู้เข้าไปถึงกึ๋น I know (him, her, they, it, etc) to his innards, ie there's nothing I don't know about him, I know him through and through.

Withnail's girlfriend sounds compassionate as ducks don't eat meat in my experience, so the detached member could be re-attached if Withnail was on theไข่; however if she said feed it to the dogs then all hope is lost.

bannork.

Isn't the literal meaning of กึ๋น the innards of a chicken or duck and hence the expression รู้เข้าไปถึงกึ๋น I know (him, her, they, it, etc) to his innards, ie there's nothing I don't know about him, I know him through and through.

Withnail's girlfriend sounds compassionate as ducks don't eat meat in my experience, so the detached member could be re-attached if Withnail was on theไข่; however if she said feed it to the dogs then all hope is lost.

bannork.

Isn't the literal meaning of กึ๋น the innards of a chicken or duck

Hi Bannork,long time no see! :D

Yes!The literal meaning is indeed the liver of a fowl! :D

That's what I was alluding to as the other meaning in my previous post and was going to disclose later when somebody had gotten curious enough to ask. :o

You did the work for me there with your pre-emptive strike,Bannork!

The idiomatic meaning of ตัดกึ่น "dtut geun" is "bobbittry" here in the metropolis! :D

Is it the same up in "your neck of the woods'? :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

How would you say

My gf thinks this is the funniest thing ever (I don't  :o ) that's how she says it in English.

The term for the action is just ......"Aharn Phet".....Duck food

How would you say

My gf thinks this is the funniest thing ever (I don't  :o ) that's how she says it in English.

The term for the action is just ......"Aharn Phet".....Duck food

"Aharn Phet" sounds as though it means 'sex food' ('diamond food' doesn't make any sense). The reasonable tone-ignoring transcriptions of เป็ด 'duck' are bped, ped, bpet and pet.

RC, since you are a farmer, this one is for you. It refers to a rice paddy which is flooded half of the year and dry half of the year...and to alot of other things in life:

Nahm ma

pla gin moht

Nahm loht

moht gin pla

The water comes

The fish eat the ants

The water drops

The ants eat the fish

Dugdig

RC, since you are a farmer, this one is for you.  It refers to a rice paddy which is flooded half of the year and dry half of the year...and to alot of other things in life:

Nahm ma

pla gin moht

Nahm loht

moht gin pla

The water comes

The fish eat the ants

The water drops

The ants eat the fish

Dugdig

Just thought I'd translate into Thai - for the fun of it - and as good typing practice :o

น้ำ มา

ปลา กิน มด

น้ำ ลด

มด กิน ปลา

Just learned this one which may be a version of one that's already been posted?

น้ำมาปลากินมด น้ำลด มดกินปลา

Whoever has the advantage will take that chance.

Or ทีใครทีมัน which I'm not absolutely clear on the translation.

Snowleopard/RDN/bannork?

Cheers,

บุญมี

Just learned this one which may be a version of one that's already been posted?

น้ำมาปลากินมด น้ำลด มดกินปลา

Whoever has the advantage will take that chance....

I would say it's identical! :o:D:D :D

......Or ทีใครทีมัน which I'm not absolutely clear on the translation.

Snowleopard/RDN/bannork?

Cheers,

บุญมี

My g/f tried to explain it, but her English is not good enough! She says it is similar to the one about the fish and ants, but could not give a good explanation.,

She said it's like, if she played good at pool and left me no shot when it was my turn, and then I managed to play even better than her, I could say ทีใครทีมัน "ti kray ti mun".

Have to wait for snowy, bannork, RichardW for a proper explanation I'm afraid.

Edit:

I just checked the Lexitron, and it has the exact phrase translated as "his time, his turn":

ทีใครทีมัน

1. ทีใครทีมัน [N] ; his time his turn

Syn. ทีเขาทีเรา

Def. โอกาสของใครก็เป็นของคนนั้น

Sample: เรื่องนี้ผมช่วยไม่ได้นะ ทีใครทีมัน

Click here

Edited by RDN

Nahm ma

pla gin moht

Nahm loht

moht gin pla

The water comes

The fish eat the ants

The water drops

The ants eat the fish

น้ำ มา

ปลา กิน มด

น้ำ ลด

มด กิน ปลา

Ok seeing as we are practising... I'm trying to learn the tone rules so I practised on this ...

Nahm [h] ma [m]

pla [m] gin [m] moht [h]

Nahm [h] loht [h]

moht [h] gin [m] pla [m]

Ok ... might seem pretty trivial and easy for some of you guys, but if I'm gonna learn I've gotta start somewhere, and I want to be able to say these little sayings correctly, please let me know if I made a mistake

Totster :o

Nahm ma

pla gin moht

Nahm loht

moht gin pla

The water comes

The fish eat the ants

The water drops

The ants eat the fish

น้ำ มา

ปลา กิน มด

น้ำ ลด

มด กิน ปลา

Ok seeing as we are practising... I'm trying to learn the tone rules so I practised on this ...

Nahm [h] ma [m]

pla [m] gin [m] moht [h]

Nahm [h] loht [h]

moht [h] gin [m] pla [m]

Ok ... might seem pretty trivial and easy for some of you guys, but if I'm gonna learn I've gotta start somewhere, and I want to be able to say these little sayings correctly, please let me know if I made a mistake

Totster :o

well done,!00% correct.

bannork.

Sorry I am neither of the people you mentioned RDN, but the saying above (ทีใครทีมัน) is perhaps best translated into English as

Each dog has its day.

("When it is your turn, it is your turn" is more literal)

Your girlfriend's explanation shows exactly what it is all about, basically saying that sooner or later, your time will come.

Sorry I am neither of the people you mentioned RDN, but the saying above (ทีใครทีมัน) is perhaps best translated into English as

Each dog has its day.

Your girlfriend's explanation shows exactly what it is all about, basically saying that sooner or later, your time will come.

Thanks meadish - and sorry I missed you from the list of experts (I did a quick scan of the posters on this thread to remind myself of who they were but missed you!).

Anyway, you're right "Every dog has his day" (as we would say in the UK) sounds the best equivalent. :o

Each dog has its day.

Thanks meadish - and sorry I missed you from the list of experts (I did a quick scan of the posters on this thread to remind myself of who they were but missed you!).

Anyway, you're right "Every dog has his day" (as we would say in the UK) sounds the best equivalent. :D

ขอโอกาสให้สุนัขน้อยกัดมั่งซิ "koh oh-gaat hai so-nak noi gut mung si"=Give even an underdog the chance to chomp once"! :D

I just made that one up on the spot. :o

The above idiom has now been copyrighted to Snowleopard and will soon be launched onto the Thai linguistic market, where I hope it will eventually thrive among the other ones I've invented and seeped out during the last couple of decades. :D

All members of this board can obtain a single copy of it ,free-of-charge,and it can then be used multiple times at appropriate occasions and situations of their own choice. :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Each dog has its day.

Anyway, you're right "Every dog has his day" (as we would say in the UK) sounds the best equivalent. :D

ขอโอกาสให้สุนัขน้อยกัดมั่งซิ "koh oh-gaat hai so-nak noi gut mung si"=Give even an underdog the chance to chomp once"! :D

The above idiom has now been copyrighted to Snowleopard and will soon be launched onto the Thai linguistic market, where I hope it will eventually thrive among the other ones I've invented and seeped out during the last couple of decades. :D

All members of this board can obtain a single copy of it ,free-of-charge,and it can then be used multiple times at appropriate occasions and situations of their own choice. -_-

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

คุณหลานปู

Your generosity knows no bounds! :D

For the heck of it, let me type "kaow jai" again and let's see if the "mai toh" resembles a "mai ek." This has got my curosity going... :wub:

เข้าใจ

Cheers,

บุญมี

Nahm ma

pla gin moht

Nahm loht

moht gin pla

The water comes

The fish eat the ants

The water drops

The ants eat the fish

น้ำ มา

ปลา กิน มด

น้ำ ลด

มด กิน ปลา

Nahm [h] ma [m]

pla [m] gin [m] moht [h]

Nahm [h] loht [h]

moht [h] gin [m] pla [m]

Totster :D

well done,!00% correct.

bannork.

Thanks Bannork :o

totster :D

Each dog has its day.

Anyway, you're right "Every dog has his day" (as we would say in the UK) sounds the best equivalent. :wub:

All members of this board can obtain a single copy of it ,free-of-charge,and it can then be used multiple times at appropriate occasions and situations of their own choice. :)

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

คุณหลานปู

Your generosity knows no bounds! -_-

For the heck of it, let me type "kaow jai" again and let's see if the "mai toh" resembles a "mai ek." This has got my curosity going... :(

เข้าใจ

Cheers,

บุญมี

For the heck of it, let me type "kaow jai" again and let's see if the "mai toh" resembles a "mai ek."

Hi Boon Mee,

This begins to be eerie! :D

I see it as a "mai ek" on your post in the thread;but before it's entered as a quote in my preview it's a "mai toh" as you say so I'm pretty sure that you've written it correctly!

I have now refreshed the page and when looking closely at it I can see that it is in fact a "mai-toh"!

Could it be because you enlarged the letters and not the tonemark or should I get eyeglasses? :D

You were probably correct all along.Case closed. :)

Snowleopard.

I see it as a "mai ek" on your post in the thread;but before it's entered as a quote in my preview it's a "mai toh" as you say so I'm pretty sure that you've written it correctly! :o

Could other Thai readers please tell us if they see a "mai-ek" or a "mai-toh" on เข้าใจ "kaow jai" in Boon Mee's post???

It's definitely not mai ek. It does look very like mai hanakat at the editing size, but I can discern the difference.