PM Yingluck Enjoys House Canteen To To Quash 'Bt200.000 A Meal' Rumours

webfact

What a stupid story. I cant remember the Nation ever making anything of the "lunches" and "dinners" of Banharn, Sanan, Snoh etc and their legendary hospitality (linked to hi-so politcal fixing) would dwarf anything by a Shinawatra.

I too wonder that criticism of a rich person who happens to be a poltician spending their money even if embellished a tad or lot may not be good in terms of looking extravagent, but put it into perspective with say the Dems trying to raise 600 million baht for an election campaign by having a line of very rich people pay for a chinese table or twenty?

What's your problem with fund raising dinners? Not my idea of a fun night out, but they happen in most parts of the world.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What an UN- story!!!

Instead of... "To make it fair for food shops in the canteen, Yingluck ordered items from all of them. The dishes she ordered included omelette, fried Sepat Siam fish, fried chicken, chicken curry, friend Chinese sausages, bitter gourd soup, fried hot minced meat and Chinese meatball soup." ... why not order from a different vendor every day!!

She seems like a very attractive lady, so she must be under a considerable amount of stress if she is able to eat all of that food and maintain such a slim and trim figure. :jap:

Agreed I for one wouldn't want to kick her out of bed on a cold night!

I have a feeling her PR handlers suggested she eat like a commoner after reports of her extravagant lunches but to their shock she then went to the cafeteria and instead of acting like a normal person, she ordered something from every vendor there. As is that wasn't enough she then rose her status up even further by order from each vendor there ... as if they were blessed to have her order from her or will be erecting advertising signs in the future to say she ordered from them.

I certainly may be reading too much into this but it seems she may be very out of touch with the common Thai and she certainly appears to have done the opposite of dispelling the notion she can be an every day person ... at least when it comes to lunch laugh.gif

What a stupid story. I cant remember the Nation ever making anything of the "lunches" and "dinners" of Banharn, Sanan, Snoh etc and their legendary hospitality (linked to hi-so politcal fixing) would dwarf anything by a Shinawatra.

I too wonder that criticism of a rich person who happens to be a poltician spending their money even if embellished a tad or lot may not be good in terms of looking extravagent, but put it into perspective with say the Dems trying to raise 600 million baht for an election campaign by having a line of very rich people pay for a chinese table or twenty?

What's your problem with fund raising dinners? Not my idea of a fun night out, but they happen in most parts of the world.

Apparently the right way to do it to have a fugitive billionaire funneling the money through secret bank transactions

To disprove the notion she spends recklessly, she went to the canteen and ordered something from every vendor?!?!?

I had the same reaction. I guess it really shows the lack of rational thought that goes on in this country. Sort of like having the tug-boats tied to the bridge in Ayuttaya, with engines going all day to try and speed up the flow of the river.... crazy.

OMG! TheNation relapses.

It's just impossible to eat for 200,000 THB in a single meal. Let try! this is 5 tons of the best jasmine rice! This is 100 lunch buffets in the best hotels in Bangkok.

Well if she eats the same as she did in the cafeteria by order everything on the menu ... maybe it is possible. wink.gif

OMG! TheNation relapses.

It's just impossible to eat for 200,000 THB in a single meal. Let try! this is 5 tons of the best jasmine rice! This is 100 lunch buffets in the best hotels in Bangkok.

Well if she eats the same as she did in the cafeteria by order everything on the menu ... maybe it is possible. wink.gif

Yes. If she can't make any decisions, that's exactly what she'd do.

But it's not necessarily 5 tons of rice, or 100 buffets. Personal chefs cost a lot more. This would be one way of funnelling money from the government to anyone else by going through the chef. 200,000 Baht for a lunch which then gets passed on to whoever is owed a favour.

I wouldn't dispute the claim that she spends 200K THB on a meal, as she is a billionaire and is probably accustomed to it, but I'd like to know more details, because very good food can be had for much cheaper. Even a 2K THB meal in the Hilton hotel is of a very high standard. So where would she spend 200K THB for a meal and what food does she order? I'm thinking she pays for more than herself, and if so, how many people?

I wouldn't mind it if it's her own money that she spends, as it then trickles down to the lower classes, but I'd be disgusted if the money comes from her government's coffers.

She seems like a very attractive lady, so she must be under a considerable amount of stress if she is able to eat all of that food and maintain such a slim and trim figure. :jap:

Fugitive Red Shirt Leader Arisaman would seem to agree with both of you on the appeal of this married woman.

partyondude.jpg

Edited by Buchholz

I wouldn't dispute the claim that she spends 200K THB on a meal, as she is a billionaire and is probably accustomed to it, but I'd like to know more details, because very good food can be had for much cheaper. Even a 2K THB meal in the Hilton hotel is of a very high standard. So where would she spend 200K THB for a meal and what food does she order? I'm thinking she pays for more than herself, and if so, how many people?

No doubt she at least occasionally invites her older sister and niece, and fellow Red Shirt rally attendees, to lunch. Together, the 3 look like they could do some damage at a buffet line.

Yaowapa_Apr.jpg

Edited by Buchholz

No doubt she at least occasionally invites her older sister and niece, and fellow Red Shirt rally attendees, to lunch. Together, they look like they could do some damage at a buffet line.

Yaowapa_Apr.jpg

Are you sure that is not a disguised Thaksin?

No doubt she at least occasionally invites her older sister and niece, and fellow Red Shirt rally attendees, to lunch. Together, they look like they could do some damage at a buffet line.

Yaowapa_Apr.jpg

Are you sure that is not a disguised Thaksin?

Sometimes their body figure is indistinguishable and un-revealing as to who is who. :whistling:

Does anyone know her net wealth?

200K THB to someone whose net worth is 1B USD is like 20 THB to someone whose net worth is 100K USD, by the same ratio.

Her wealth is a curious point. I've not seen anything published regarding the required asset declaration statements the new government have to produce. It's required to be submitted within 30 days of assuming office, but that would have been September 9th and I've not noticed it anywhere.

It will be interesting to see what she puts down.

Does anyone know her net wealth?

200K THB to someone whose net worth is 1B USD is like 20 THB to someone whose net worth is 100K USD, by the same ratio.

Her wealth is a curious point. I've not seen anything published regarding the required asset declaration statements the new government have to produce. It's required to be submitted within 30 days of assuming office, but that would have been September 9th and I've not noticed it anywhere.

It will be interesting to see what she puts down.

Whatever it was was, it is more now ...

Yingluck Shinawatra was born June 21, 1967, into one of the wealthiest and most powerful families in Chiang Mai.

While Thaksin, who is 18 years older than Yingluck, was in office, the family fortune — and its influence — grew considerably.

Yingluck was taking on increasing responsibility in the family business while her brother Thaksin was taking on increasing responsibility in the political arena after his election to parliament in 1994.

With her brother running the country, Yingluck was helping run Advanced Info Service. She was managing director until the mobile phone company's controversial sale to a Singapore firm in 2006.

Yingluck then moved over to SC Asset Corp, the family's real estate company, one of the biggest in Thailand, as executive president.

In 1995, she married businessman Anusorn Amornchat, who is now in charge of M-Link Asia Corporation, which sells mobile phones and accessories. Another Shinawatra, sister Yaowapa Wongsawat, is the major shareholder in M-Link (and a former politician). Her husband, Somchai Wongsawat, was prime minister in 2008.

The day after Yingluck's election victory, shares in M-Link were up 25 per cent.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/07/04/f-yingluck-shinawatra.html

There was a much-touted $1 million dollar meal in Bangkok a few years back, but to my recollection it basically included airfare, several dozen international chefs and their cooks working specially on that meal, the most expensive ingredients from everywhere on the planet with a carbon footprint the size of Godzilla, etc., etc.- and a tidy profit too, I am sure.

If you add the costs of rare wines, you can make just about any meal as expensive as you like- reminds me of those $1000 gourmet burger sets a few years ago where most of the cost was the rare champagne and maybe some type of bejewelled keepsake. The actual burger only cost $100 or something like that.

There was a much-touted $1 million dollar meal in Bangkok a few years back, but to my recollection it basically included airfare, several dozen international chefs and their cooks working specially on that meal, the most expensive ingredients from everywhere on the planet with a carbon footprint the size of Godzilla, etc., etc.- and a tidy profit too, I am sure.

If you add the costs of rare wines, you can make just about any meal as expensive as you like- reminds me of those $1000 gourmet burger sets a few years ago where most of the cost was the rare champagne and maybe some type of bejewelled keepsake. The actual burger only cost $100 or something like that.

The cost of this burger is about 150,000 baht ... http://most-expensive.net/hamburger

I'm guessing if one were to add a coke and fries it must be over 200k biggrin.gif

OMG! TheNation relapses.

Theoretically you could depending on the wine. Link shows prices in Thai baht / bottle

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/chateau+margaux+margaux

Edited by atyclb

No doubt she at least occasionally invites her older sister and niece, and fellow Red Shirt rally attendees, to lunch. Together, the 3 look like they could do some damage at a buffet line.

Yaowapa_Apr.jpg

Look at all those chins.... Shins!wink.gif

Did she also mentioned that she likes to use the workers' toilets, because she wants to prove that she does not use luxury ones? And that she tried all cubicles in said toilets as she wanted to please all cleaners? And that the ones she enjoyed the most were the ladies' toilets?

Can't believe that her alleged taste for canteen omelets can make ground for a report!! Nothing better to discuss?

Miracle Thailand indeed.

It made the news because it was the very first decision she made all by herself...

.... guess that's why she took one of everything, she couldn't even make that decision!

cheesy.gif Thanks I needed that. I was going to be way to serious!

I have a feeling her PR handlers suggested she eat like a commoner after reports of her extravagant lunches but to their shock she then went to the cafeteria and instead of acting like a normal person, she ordered something from every vendor there. As is that wasn't enough she then rose her status up even further by order from each vendor there ... as if they were blessed to have her order from her or will be erecting advertising signs in the future to say she ordered from them.

I certainly may be reading too much into this but it seems she may be very out of touch with the common Thai and she certainly appears to have done the opposite of dispelling the notion she can be an every day person ... at least when it comes to lunch :lol:

You hit it right on the nose nisa, exactly my thoughts :lol:

Yaowapa_Apr.jpg

Look at all those chins.... Shins!wink.gif

I think that is Thaksin in drag==practicing for his airport arrival disguise :lol:.

OMG! TheNation relapses.

Theoretically you could depending on the wine. Link shows prices in Thai baht / bottle

http://www.wine-sear...margaux+margaux

455,335 THB for a bottle?! That much could buy a lot of other things instead, or help some poor people.

So is it expensive wine that makes Yingluck's meals so costly?

Edited by hyperdimension

Did she also mentioned that she likes to use the workers' toilets, because she wants to prove that she does not use luxury ones? And that she tried all cubicles in said toilets as she wanted to please all cleaners? And that the ones she enjoyed the most were the ladies' toilets?

Can't believe that her alleged taste for canteen omelets can make ground for a report!! Nothing better to discuss?

Miracle Thailand indeed.

have any of them got anything more to discuss "of any consequence"

Fugitive Red Shirt Leader Arisaman would seem to agree with both of you on the appeal of this married woman.

partyondude.jpg

Coincidentally, Arisaman was in the news this evening after Red Shirt Leader Out On Bail and Pheu Thai Party-list MP Natthawut said that he met with the criminal fugitive in Cambodia during his trip there last week.

Natthawut said further that he had tried to persuade the singer-turned-terrorist-suspect to return to Thailand, but that Arisaman refused.

Edited by Buchholz