Marriage Celebrant

bkk2323

Hi All

I'm getting married!

I'm Australian and my partner is Thai, we're doing the usual thing at the Amphur office then a few days later we're having a ceremony on Koh Samet for our western friends. We need to find a marriage celebrant! Does anyone know of a celebrant in the Rayong area...or ideally on Koh Samet please. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

To all the well wishers, many thanks.

Hi bkk2323. If you get married at the Amphur Office that is a legall registered marriage recognised all over the world. You must have 2 witnesses for this ceremony and if they are your foreign friends they must bring their passports with them.

The marriage you want later for some friends can be done by a Monk/Monks. This is a Thai marriage and is not recognised to be legal.

I put a topic on here somewhere that explains Australians legally married in Thailand.I wish the MOD'S would place it in the front PINNED. It was on page 4.

I picked this info up at the Australian Embassy, you may want to pin it in the appropriate place.AUSTRALIAN EMBASSY BANGKOK

REGISTERING A MARRIAGE IN THAILAND

Information for Australian Citizens

This information sheet is to assist Australians wishing to register a marriage in Thailand to ensure it will be recognized as a valid marriage in Australia. THE EMBASSY CANNOT PROVIDE INFORMATION ON OTHER ISSUES, SUCH AS ORGANISING CELEBRANTS OR VENUES.

WHY DO I NEED TO LEGALLY REGISTER MY MARRIAGE

A marriage in Thailand must be registered with Thai Authorities to be a valid marriage under Thai Law.

If you do not formally register your marriage with Thai authorities you are not legally married in Thailand or Australia.

WILL OUR MARRIAGE BE RECOGNISED IN AUSTRALIA?

Since the 1st January 1995 any legal marriage performed in an overseas country, which would have been legal had it been performed in Australia, is accepted as a legal marriage under Australian Law.

WHAT STEPS DO I NEED TO FOLLOW TO MARRY LEGALLY IN THAILAND

It is a Thai government requirement that steps 1-3 must be completed in Bangkok.

Step 1: Statutory declaration and Death/Divorce Certificates.

All Australians marrying in Thailand must complete a pro-forma Statutory Declaration. It is a Thai Government requirement that this be completed at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok (it cannot be done in Australia, elsewhere in Thailand, another embassy, or online). Under the Australian Consular Fees Act a fee of $20 per document is payable for this service***.

Thai authorities will not accept a "Single Certificate" issued by Births deaths and Marriages in Australia as these contain insufficient information in relation to the applicant and his/her personal circumstances.

It is mandatory that both the Embassy and Thai authorities be presented with documentary evidence confirming that the Australian citizen is free to marry. If previously married, an original divorce or death certificate must be provided to prove that you are no longer married. You can certify copies of your original documents at the Consular Service Section at the Embassy in Bangkok. A fee of $30 per document is payable for this service***.

***Fees: The above fees are payable in Thai Baht cash. The fee is linked to the AUD/THB exchange rate and is re-aligned each month. For current THB fee information please contact the Consular Information Service Section by phone or e-mail [email protected]

Step 2: Translation

You must have your documents translated into Thai at a private translation agency. There are many in Bangkok who can do this in one or two working days. Fees vary. The Australian Embassy cannot recommend any particular translation agency.

Step 3: Certification by Thai Department of Consular Affairs.

After the documents have been translated they must be authenticated by Thai authorities. These generally take two working days and a fee is payable. For information on this service you should contact:

Department of Consular Affairs

123 Moo 3, Changwattana Road

Kwang Toong Son Hong, Khet Laksi

Bangkok

Tel. (02) 9817171 Office hours; 08:30 – 15:30

Step 4: Marriage at the Amphur Office

When you have completed the above requirements, you should visit any District Office (Amphur) to formally register your marriage. You may wish to take an interpreter to facilitate communication with the Amphur Officials. You may need to make an appointment before proceeding to the Amphur. If you are marrying at a resort location, your celebrant or wedding planner will be able to advise you on the location of the nearest Amphur office.

AUSTRALIAN VISAS

For information on spouse or tourist visas to Australia please call 02 344 6400 or e-mail [email protected]

Consular Service Section, Australian Embassy Bangkok – Contact Details

Address: Australian Embassy Bangkok

37 South Sathorn Rd, Bangkok 10120

Operating Hours 08:30 – 16:30 Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.

No appointment necessary.

Telephone: 02 344 6300

Fax; 02 344 6310

e-mail: [email protected]

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE.

Edited by OZEMADE

HI Ozemade

Thanks for all the details but all I was after was the details of a marriage celebrate, I've got everything else sorted.

Hi bkk2323. If you get married at the Amphur Office that is a legall registered marriage recognised all over the world. You must have 2 witnesses for this ceremony and if they are your foreign friends they must bring their passports with them.

The marriage you want later for some friends can be done by a Monk/Monks. This is a Thai marriage and is not recognised to be legal.

I put a topic on here somewhere that explains Australians legally married in Thailand.I wish the MOD'S would place it in the front PINNED. It was on page 4.

I picked this info up at the Australian Embassy, you may want to pin it in the appropriate place.AUSTRALIAN EMBASSY BANGKOK

REGISTERING A MARRIAGE IN THAILAND

Information for Australian Citizens

This information sheet is to assist Australians wishing to register a marriage in Thailand to ensure it will be recognized as a valid marriage in Australia. THE EMBASSY CANNOT PROVIDE INFORMATION ON OTHER ISSUES, SUCH AS ORGANISING CELEBRANTS OR VENUES.

WHY DO I NEED TO LEGALLY REGISTER MY MARRIAGE

A marriage in Thailand must be registered with Thai Authorities to be a valid marriage under Thai Law.

If you do not formally register your marriage with Thai authorities you are not legally married in Thailand or Australia.

WILL OUR MARRIAGE BE RECOGNISED IN AUSTRALIA?

Since the 1st January 1995 any legal marriage performed in an overseas country, which would have been legal had it been performed in Australia, is accepted as a legal marriage under Australian Law.

WHAT STEPS DO I NEED TO FOLLOW TO MARRY LEGALLY IN THAILAND

It is a Thai government requirement that steps 1-3 must be completed in Bangkok.

Step 1: Statutory declaration and Death/Divorce Certificates.

All Australians marrying in Thailand must complete a pro-forma Statutory Declaration. It is a Thai Government requirement that this be completed at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok (it cannot be done in Australia, elsewhere in Thailand, another embassy, or online). Under the Australian Consular Fees Act a fee of $20 per document is payable for this service***.

Thai authorities will not accept a "Single Certificate" issued by Births deaths and Marriages in Australia as these contain insufficient information in relation to the applicant and his/her personal circumstances.

It is mandatory that both the Embassy and Thai authorities be presented with documentary evidence confirming that the Australian citizen is free to marry. If previously married, an original divorce or death certificate must be provided to prove that you are no longer married. You can certify copies of your original documents at the Consular Service Section at the Embassy in Bangkok. A fee of $30 per document is payable for this service***.

***Fees: The above fees are payable in Thai Baht cash. The fee is linked to the AUD/THB exchange rate and is re-aligned each month. For current THB fee information please contact the Consular Information Service Section by phone or e-mail [email protected]

Step 2: Translation

You must have your documents translated into Thai at a private translation agency. There are many in Bangkok who can do this in one or two working days. Fees vary. The Australian Embassy cannot recommend any particular translation agency.

Step 3: Certification by Thai Department of Consular Affairs.

After the documents have been translated they must be authenticated by Thai authorities. These generally take two working days and a fee is payable. For information on this service you should contact:

Department of Consular Affairs

123 Moo 3, Changwattana Road

Kwang Toong Son Hong, Khet Laksi

Bangkok

Tel. (02) 9817171 Office hours; 08:30 – 15:30

Step 4: Marriage at the Amphur Office

When you have completed the above requirements, you should visit any District Office (Amphur) to formally register your marriage. You may wish to take an interpreter to facilitate communication with the Amphur Officials. You may need to make an appointment before proceeding to the Amphur. If you are marrying at a resort location, your celebrant or wedding planner will be able to advise you on the location of the nearest Amphur office.

AUSTRALIAN VISAS

For information on spouse or tourist visas to Australia please call 02 344 6400 or e-mail [email protected]

Consular Service Section, Australian Embassy Bangkok – Contact Details

Address: Australian Embassy Bangkok

37 South Sathorn Rd, Bangkok 10120

Operating Hours 08:30 – 16:30 Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.

No appointment necessary.

Telephone: 02 344 6300

Fax; 02 344 6310

e-mail: [email protected]

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE.