Visa Turned Down

i have recently had an aplication for a six month fiancee visa refused.Many of the reasons why are simpley a bit unbelivable.I wont bore you as im sure you have heard them many times.I have appelled this and hope to show that these reasons are unjust and ill founded.In the mean time i am returning to bangkok very soon.I was wondering if it would be wise to apply for a 30 day holiday visa so my fiancee can meet my parents and friends. She can then return to Thailand and this may help in showing our intentions are genuine.

Second question is i live in Northern Ireland and will soon have an irish passport. Therefore having dual citizenship.What are the possibilities of bring my fiancee back to southern ireland through the irish embassy and her staying with me in the north.any advise would be most welcome.

thank you ,

gazza

Gazza,

I wouldn't apply for a visit visa. Your fiancée has already stated her intention to settle in the UK, so a visa officer now won't believe she's only going on holiday.

If you were to marry your fiancée in Thailand, she could apply for a family permit on the basis of you being an Irish citizen. Have a read of this thread.

Scouse.

i have recently had an aplication for a six month fiancee visa refused.Many of the reasons why are simpley a bit unbelivable.I wont bore you as im sure you have heard them many times.I have appelled this and hope to show that these reasons are unjust and ill founded.In the mean time  i am returning to bangkok very soon.I was wondering if it would be wise to apply for a 30 day holiday visa so my fiancee can meet my parents and friends. She can then return to Thailand and this may help in showing our intentions are genuine.

Second question is i live in Northern Ireland and will soon have an irish passport. Therefore having dual citizenship.What are the possibilities of bring my fiancee back to southern ireland through the irish embassy and her staying with me in the north.any advise would be most welcome.

thank you ,

gazza

Hi Gazza,

It would greatly help many of us , including me , if we could know what were the reasons for refusal . The fiancee visa is usually straigtforward in tat you either qualify or you don't so i am wondering why you failed?? could you tell us please , or at least the main reasons

silomfan

Reasons why visa was turned down where the following. Could not provide adequate accommodation,i own a three bedroom detached house.Can not maintain ourselves with out recourse of public funds,i have my own business and it is doing well.provided accounts to embassy. Are not satisfied that we are going to live together after marriage.. of course we are why would we not?Tthey stated that while interviewed she new little about our intended marriage arrangements .none have been made yet i thought it best not to send out invites and book a limo untill she had a visa. i have written a letter in reply to the reasons why and sent it with my appeal.

Reasons why visa was turned down where the following.        Could not provide adequate accommodation,i own a three bedroom detached house.Can not maintain ourselves with out recourse of public funds,i have my own business and it is doing well.provided accounts to embassy. Are not satisfied that we are going to live together after marriage.. of course we are why would we not?Tthey stated that while interviewed she new little about our intended marriage  arrangements .none have been made yet i thought it  best not to send out invites and book a limo untill she had a visa. i have written a letter in reply to the reasons why and sent it with my appeal.

Thanks for reply Gazza....

What kind of world are we living in ????

Can no-one check the power of the British Embassy , Bangkok???

SILOMFAN

Gazza-ni, what evidence did you provide with the application?

Did you provide proof that you own the home? Details of who else, if anyone, would be living there?

The accounts you provided, were they certified? Were they the business accounts or your own, eg your SA return?

The embassy wont simply take your word for things, they require proof. Did you provide that proof?

From what you have said, however, it appears that the main reason for refusal is that they do not believe the relationship to be genuine. What evidence did you provide of the relationship? Proof of contact, letters, e-mails, phone records, photos? How long have you known each other?

Although an EEA family permit is easier to get than a settlement visa, they still have to be satisfied that the relationship is genuine.

Although an EEA family permit is easier to get ....  they still have to be satisfied that the relationship is genuine.

Not within the meaning of the immigration rules; i.e. an intention to permanently live together. In terms of a family permit application, the visa officer can only really question the marriage itself, and, even then, only if there is good reason to think it is either improperly contracted or one of convenience, entered into solely for the purposes of gaining entry to the UK.

Scouse.

It's difficult to judge without full facts, but you have said

They stated that while interviewed she new little about our intended marriage arrangements

I think it is almost certainly the case that this is the issue, something she said, or did not say in the interview.

Another common problem is not fully ticking the boxes, that is, for example, when you provide details of accommodation, did you provide full enough information? Usually a copy of mortgage/tenancy agreement AND council tax registration.

hello thanks for all the replys..

We had phone bills, emails, photos,joint hotel receipts,plane tickets.I had a recent utility bill from my house.Two years accounts. i realise that i might need to bring more proof.I have taken legal advice and now know what to have ready.eg tax returns instead of accounts.

We are both genuine and the help i am getting here will ensure i am better prepered when i go to the appeal.i understand why the embassy needs to be careful but it is rather annoying when the reasons for refusal are rather unfounded.

Gazza,

If you're getting legal advice, then ask your brief about getting married in Thailand and applying for a family permit on the back of your Irish passport. The family permit is free and the requirements are less stringent.

Scouse.

Thanks Scouse i will do that. knowing my luck after all this she will get here and it will freeze her cute little ass off.i am back there in 3 weeks cant wait :o freezing wet and shitty here. Appreciate the advise everyone.

Gazza,

Def takes Scouses advice on the Irish passport/EAA family permit route.

The checks are way less - as in all they check is that you are married and will be living together - they don't ask for proof of income, accomodation, nothing - wondeful if you ask me!!

Just a pity that I couldn't wangle an Irish passport myself - but thought I was pushing it a bit having to go back three generations for an Irish grand-parent!! :o

they don't ask for proof of income, accomodation, nothing
Not quite right, I'm afraid.

From Guidance - EEA & Swiss nationals (INF 18)

What supporting documents should my family members include with their application?

They should include all the documents they can to show that they qualify for an EEA family permit. If they do not, we may refuse their application.

As a guide they should include:

proof of their relationship to you (for example, if they are your children, their birth certificates and your marriage certificate if it is your husband or wife)

evidence that you are in, or intend to travel to, the UK

a certified copy of your EEA passport, and

evidence of your employment in the UK or that you can support them for the whole period of their stay in the UK.

(My emphasis)

The criteria are less strict than for a settlement visa, but it is not just a matter of turning up with an EEA passport and a marriage certificate!

I find this really interesting. My wife just applied and got a settlement visa. We have money in the bank but not loads. We didn't have any accommadation and she told them, so did I that we would only get accommadation after getting the visa as it is expensive to rent and then not move over there. The visa staff where really narky because I was in there with my wife who was about to drop her baby and infact started to drop as we were walking out of the interview room, her water breaking there and then as she shook hands with the officer. They requested that I come in and clarifiy a few things which once I did, and without documents they gave the visa. Its how you present your self and what you say. If you don't speak English or very little they question how you are going to survive. They are difficult people there.

Good luck.