Google+ Open To Public

george

Google+ open to public

google-logo-plus-0fbe8f0119f4a902429a5991af5db563.png

Anyone can now sign up for Google+ (no invitation required)

GOOGLE has broadened its assault on rival Facebook by opening its Google+ online social network to the public.

The company also introduced new features to Google+, including the ability to search for information about topics such as cooking and photography, and along with the ability to see relevant Google+ users and their posts on such topics, as well as relevant content from around the web.

Google+, which launched in late June and which up till now had only been open by invitation to users, is also putting a heavier emphasis on video, one of its main technology advantages over Facebook. Facebook, which has more than 750 million active monthly users, recently inked a deal with Skype to allow its users to communicate with each other through their computer's built-in video cameras.

Google+ lets as many as 10 people communicate simultaneously in a video "hangout." Google said people can broadcast a "hangout" to the public, similar to how Google's YouTube video site lets some partners broadcast a live event.

Google also added a key feature to the version of Google+ that works on mobile devices powered by Google's Android software. Google+ users who own devices with front-facing cameras participate in a multiperson "hangout" using those devices, a potential advantage over the feature on Apple's iPhone that lets people do video chats face-to-face, also known as "face time."

Google made its announcement two days ahead of Facebook's annual conference, dubbed F8, which is for software developers who build applications for Facebook's users such as Zynga's "social" games. Google last week started allowing developers to build apps for Google+. It also has several partners that offer games to Google+ users, including Zynga.

Vic Gundotra, a Google senior vice president, said in a post on the company's blog that the latest Google+ features bring the total number of "improvements" to 100 in the three months since the site launched. "Google+ is still in its infancy, of course," Mr Gundotra wrote.

Google+ now has more than 25 million unique visitors per month, the comScore research firm has said. The company hasn't released any information on the number of monthly active users. Google also hasn't yet marketed the service to the more than one billion monthly visitors who use its search engine, Gmail and other services.

Google+ lets people share comments, articles, photos and videos with various "circles" of friends or contacts, or they can share content publicly with any user who wants to view their posts. Eventually, Google plans to incorporate features of Google+ in its other services, such as its YouTube video site.

To sign up for Google+ just go here: http://plus.google.com

To join Thaivisa on Google+ go here as soon you have signed up: https://plus.google.com/116866638430460700577/

tvn.png

-- 2011-09-21

when i try to join the application is in Thai

even though I try to join through google.com

what a piece of shit google+ is!

Scroll down and select the language you like.....

The point I was trying to make was

If even the sign-up is poorly designed, who is going to bother!

Once you get inside the layout is poor and adding friends is hard.

How a company like Google can design and release something so poor is totally beyond me.

Google is becoming crappy with its sterotypical analysis...

dunno why it feels,

everyone in Thailand MUST read, write & speak thai.

the pages are in thai, the browser detects IP as thailand

and Only thai is displayed even thru google.com.

maybe the dumb bum idiots at google shd open browser with english

and have an option for other languages, when it detects other location IPs.

but again its free....and whats free is usually CRAP.

PS:

guess NVIDIA & Microsoft also have these dumb bum idiots when it comes to online manuals only Thai is displayed

guess they got fired & joined Google.

LOL

wake up Dumb bums....there are expats in Thailand too.

and majorly PC users are Expats...yoooo hoooo.... wake up....

I also agree with George it is better alternative in my opinion i especially like the huddle feature since using it on my iPhone I rarely send SMS messages just use the huddle feature. And sending photos from the phone to a select person is great .

Before I never used Facebook very much because I didn't like the privacy setup but G+ I use daily.

There are many more add ons coming so it will improve a lot in a short time.

I have been on it a few months so far....have quite a few people in my 'circles' but nobody is using it.

same here, i have about 20 people and only 1 or 2 are active...i do like the android app tho shits all over the facebook one, its super quick when uploadin photos etc and it automatically asks if you want to share the new photos or video you take. the up to 10 chatting via webcam is cool too..

i use it more the facebook now days, i like the setup better not as busy.... but i agree facebook still has the market but we'll just have to see what happens now its open.

Why did they not make it public to begin with? I'm confused. It seems people would be less interested now than if they could get it when it launched. I couldn't care less now. I wonder how many others are like me?

I think they were testing as far as I know.

I'm not sure it's what I need as I'm on Facebook already and don't contact all of the people on there anyway. In fact some have left without me even knowing.

My gf's daughter has 948 friends and rising and her friend has over 2000 so I doubt they talk with all of them. I'm friends with both of them and others who only use Thai. I may be a status symbol I suppose being a farang.

One thing that Google + plus does have is video calls to more than one person which Skype has but at a cost. I suppose it depends if it has anything you need that you don't have already.

dunno why it feels,

PS:

guess NVIDIA & Microsoft also have these dumb bum idiots when it comes to online manuals only Thai is displayed

LOL

I assume you are talking about Google search rather than Google + but it's easy enough to change. I just looked as I'm in the UK right now and there seems to be a button to change to Thai.

I think you'll find that most PC users in Thailand are in fact Thai. Unless someone knows better?

I think it's an excellent alternative to Facebook.

I agree George, it has features that facebook should have, like the circles....but everyone I know just sticks to Facebook so far...

Indeed... All improvements should be welcome and this network has loads of it...

I have signed and will try it... I believe that if more people give it a try, it can become quite interesting and one can take great advantage of some unique-cool features...

Is this a supposed to be a joke? I failed sarcasm class at school....

dunno why it feels,

PS:

LOL

This is my link https://plus.google.com/112451486399280374785/posts

I write about my work in Africa and my village life if anyone is interested. Lots and lots and lot's of photo's which one thing G+ is good for!

One thing that annoys me is there is no anon sign on - while that makes flaming easy, and as a Board owner I am sure George would understand that I also know that there is times when people have good reason to write anonymously.

Nope, not a joke. I have the same problem. I travel a lot with the same laptop all the time. Whenever I get to a new country, google or facebook or whatever loads in whatever local language of the country I am in even though I have only used english in the past. That's simply retarded and very poor programming.

Is this a supposed to be a joke? I failed sarcasm class at school....

Google is becoming crappy with its sterotypical analysis

dunno why it feels,

PS:

LOL

This month I ditched my skype online number subscription and calling package now I am saving money by using G+ free video calls over wifi to family and if I need to make other international calls gmail phone is great ,today it was announced g+ will be adding video calls for mobile so it's a great app for my needs.

Social networks seemed a good idea until they were taken over by morons and juveniles. When they started creating cyber pastimes like farming, cake making etc it became just nonsense. I refuse to acknowledge comments on my wall, email is my medium of communication within my family.

Anyone who tries to friend me with a farm or cake on their wall is an instant no. Lately I have been getting 3 a day from people flogging childrens clothing.

Fb did (today) roll out a new thing that you can choose to see only posts from people you select proactively. Much better.

I have noticed that they also have become more user friendly with closing ads from appearing in your page from those you click on to close.