What Do Thais Think Of Isaan Girls

andrewbkk

I've been in Thailand for a long time and I'm aware of the prejudice that's directed towards Isaan girls.

That said, I only encountered this prejudice first hand last night. And that's after having lived here for more than twelve years.

Basically, I went out last night with a bunch of Thais from the deep south and this is what I heard from a Muslim man from Pattani ..................

1. Isaan girls are the runts of Thailand.

2. They are small and have short, stocky legs.

3. They have small, ugly, squashed, bridgeless noses.

4. They have big ugly jaws.

5. They are uneducated.

6. They only think about money.

So ............ I interrupted the gentleman from Pattani. I explained to him that my son's mother is from Yasothon. And I told him .....

A. My son's mother and I are no longer together.

B. Despite this, she and I try to be friends.

C. She used to work on cruise ships and has been all around the world.

D. She is not a runt. She is 165cm. And she speaks perfect English.

E. She found a job all by herself with the Amari Hotel group.

F. Over the years, she has worked her way up and now has a top job.

And at that point, the Muslim man from Pattani kept his mouth shut.

I wonder what you guys think about this kind of stuff.

Edited by andrewbkk

I live in the deep south (Hatyai) myself and there does seem to be some negative feelings, mostly from the south and Bangkok towards Isarn girls. I guess mostly because most of the girls working in the Adult Entertainment sectors in BKK and Pattaya are from the north east. Obviously, that doesn't mean ALL girls from Isarn choose this career :)

I guess mostly because most of the girls working in the Adult Entertainment sectors in BKK and Pattaya are from the north east. Obviously, that doesn't mean ALL girls from Isarn choose this career :)

I wouldn't bet on that.

You're probably right for the falang oriented entertainment sectors (Nana, Ccowboy etc) where most of the girls seem to come from Isaan.

If you go a bit more upmarket (Ratchada for example)you'll find much more girls from other areas of Thailand.

1. Isaan girls are the runts of Thailand.

It appears that a lot of Thai's feel this way. Perhaps something to do with the fact that most girls in the open bar scene are from this area.

2. They are small and have short, stocky legs.

This is a generalization, but generally is not wrong.

3. They have small, ugly, squashed, bridgeless noses.

This is a generalization, but again generally is not wrong.

4. They have big ugly jaws.

This is a generalization, but once again generally is not wrong.

5. They are uneducated.

This is a generalization, much of rural Thailand has a poorer level education, the south included.

6. They only think about money.

Most people are concerned with money, geography is not a factor, human nature is.

I think in general terms the ladies from Issarn are looked down upon and some of the Issarn ladies in the entertainment industry give the rest a bad name.

That said, it would appear that the ladies from Issarn end up with a farang to look after them more often than ladies from other areas. Maybe there is some jealousy at play.

Unfortunately it is human nature to see the other guy as inferior - when taken to extremes that's how civil unrest wars start (e.g. Tutsis and hutus, Bosnians and Serbs etc).

IMHO the ladies from Issarn are very nice if you treat them right, if not - look out! Your p*nis could end up on the dog's dinner plate.

OP - You've been here too long to start such a ridiculous thread :(.

Has some Isaan woman just run off with your money? If so, start a thread pointing this out. If not, don't start a thread designed for negative comments.

Edited by F1fanatic

It`s a class thing.

Isaan girls do seem to be of a certain underclass, as do the farangs that are seen with them.

I’m sure most of you have seen when out and about the old farang walking with these Isaan types, that give the semblance of an ex bargirl 20 years passed her prime. I would guess in most cases these women originated from the Northeast, they stand out like a sore thumb.

Like everything else, there are always exceptions to the rule, but I would say there is a lot of fact in what those Thai men are saying from the South.

It always amuses me when Isaan folks are considered uneducated by fellow Thais. Like the rest of Thailand is following some sort of worthwhile curriculum and employing dedicated, skilled teachers but keeping it secret from the Isaanites.

It always amuses me when Isaan folks are considered uneducated by fellow Thais. Like the rest of Thailand is following some sort of worthwhile curriculum and employing dedicated, skilled teachers but keeping it secret from the Isaanites.

Well, to a certain extend it is true that certain areas in Thailand (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hatyai) have better private schools (and international ones) then other, more rural areas. And many of these schools have better skilled teachers and follow their own curriculums. There is definitely a difference in the quality of education between certain areas, just as there is in many other countries. Nothing wrong with that really.

Most Thais are from Isaan, are they not? (correct me if I'm wrong)

People in any country and any region generally see and judge people in accordance with their behaviour. When someone from Bangkok or wherever sees people come from rural areas and work in factories and bars they generally see them as bar and factory workers. That said, people are generally glad to see execptions to the rule and will change their outloofk on a tribe of people if they behave in a fashion perverse to the pigion-hole they've put them in. That is if they are intelligent and have an open mind.

It`s a class thing.

Isaan girls do seem to be of a certain underclass, as do the farangs that are seen with them.

I'm sure most of you have seen when out and about the old farang walking with these Isaan types, that give the semblance of an ex bargirl 20 years passed her prime. I would guess in most cases these women originated from the Northeast, they stand out like a sore thumb.

Like everything else, there are always exceptions to the rule, but I would say there is a lot of fact in what those Thai men are saying from the South.

Pompous arse is a phrase that springs to mind.

Talking with some southern Thais 10yrs ago, they also were of the opinion that all girls from Isaan were Pro's of one kind or another, the same as most people in western countries wrongly think that

all Thai women are Pro's. My wife's younger sister started working in a southern hotel last year,within a couple of days she been asked by her co-workers, why she did not work in a bar like ALL the girls from

Isaan, now they have changed their opinion. It's a fact that a very large percentage of the girls from Isaan work in the sex industry, but not all, unfortunatly even the one's who have never plied this trade are still

tared with the same brush,and they have to accept this as do their husbands and boyfriends.

excuse me but why do you mention the man as muslim? if he was christian would u still name him as THE CHRIST MAN?

also it seems u have not read the forum rules:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.