Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

day off yesterday spent the afternoon walking from south pattaya to north point wongamat beach and back, but today normal service was resumed.

lightning they say never strikes twice. it does of course and the same applies to jet ski scams.

so 14 30 as i stroll along just to the right of the mike shopping mall steps looks like a scam going down with 3 indians. confirmed as one of pattaya's finest walks past me and straight down to the incident.

so after a walk to the far end of the beach and a 99 bht pizza and two 28 bht beers on the way back (c/o dolphin beer garden), i pass exactly the same spot at 17 40.

this time a bigger group of indians v an even bigger group of thai ski guys. this time i even sneaked off a picture as so many of them were down at the waters edge.

another day on the beach

Edited by striderman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The post is when will it stop , the answer is "It will not"

Licensing means absolutely nothing in Pattaya anyway so it is a moot point.

IMO

thumbsup.gif

your 100percent correct,it ain't gunna open again, so in my humble opinion,everything is now off topic.

IMO

thumbsup.gif

your 100percent correct,it ain't gunna open again, so in my humble opinion,everything is now off topic.

Who appointed you as a Moderator ?

Why are you always so quick to decry people's efforts in this thread ?

Why can't you spell ?

Edited by Rimmer
Profane

IMO

thumbsup.gif

Why the <deleted> can't you spell ?

Who appointed all these "crusaders" moaning about this scam, waste of time.

Why are they not also crusading for

1. Stopping the huge yaba / ya ice problem there is

2. Underage prostitution ( boys and girls )

3. Stray dog problems and diseases they carry

4. Drink driving epidemic

Should i go on.....

I'd say the jet ski scams ( that will NEVER stop ) is quite far down the list of major problems in our "wonderful" city...

IMO

thumbsup.gif

Why the <deleted> can't you spell ?

Who appointed all these "crusaders" moaning about this scam, waste of time.

Why are they not also crusading for

1. Stopping the huge yaba / ya ice problem there is

2. Underage prostitution ( boys and girls )

3. Stray dog problems and diseases they carry

4. Drink driving epidemic

Should i go on.....

I'd say the jet ski scams ( that will NEVER stop ) is quite far down the list of major problems in our "wonderful" city...

Couldn't agree more with your list of concerns and the priorities - but thats still no excuse to close this thread IMHO.

Leave it open, update it now and then as events dictate and if it stops even 1 person a day renting a jet-ski then thats great: forewarned is forarmed (or something like that thumbsup.gif ).

One can only assume that the people who appear so intent on having this thread closed are somehow involved in the scam, or else benefitting from the scam continuing. Otherwise, why bother posting? Surely the path of least resistance is to simply not click the link rather than click it and then post something about it. Then again, I suppose the title of the thread is kinda misleading.... I've lost count of the times I've clicked it expecting to get some info on the best burger, pizza or breakfast in Pattaya only to find everyone's talking about the jetski scam. On many occasions I have been tempted to post my complaint about the lack of information on these food items on this thread and request that it be closed for being less than informative, but then i stopped grazing my knuckles on the ground when i walked and realized that perhaps this was a thread for people who are disgusted that this scam is allowed to continue....

To the poster who doesn't like the "crusaders" and who mentioned that this is not the only problem facing Pattaya I couldn't agree more, and I have been checking all the new threads recently so that when you start your threads about the other problems you mentioned I, along with other concerned TV members, can offer my support. I haven't seen those threads yet, but I am sure they will appear very shortly.... I mean surely, even in this town, no-one is such a dumb-ass as to slag off one thread, highlight other issues that they feel should be given equal attention and then not bother to start a thread about them.... Surely....

"If you're not a part of the solution you're a part of the problem..." and if you're involved in actions that try to subdue the finding of a solution to the problem then as far as I'm concerned you're not only a part of the problem... you're INVOLVED in the problem.

• Like 1

One can only assume that the people who appear so intent on having this thread closed are somehow involved in the scam, or else benefitting from the scam continuing. Otherwise, why bother posting? Surely the path of least resistance is to simply not click the link rather than click it and then post something about it. Then again, I suppose the title of the thread is kinda misleading.... I've lost count of the times I've clicked it expecting to get some info on the best burger, pizza or breakfast in Pattaya only to find everyone's talking about the jetski scam. On many occasions I have been tempted to post my complaint about the lack of information on these food items on this thread and request that it be closed for being less than informative, but then i stopped grazing my knuckles on the ground when i walked and realized that perhaps this was a thread for people who are disgusted that this scam is allowed to continue....

To the poster who doesn't like the "crusaders" and who mentioned that this is not the only problem facing Pattaya I couldn't agree more, and I have been checking all the new threads recently so that when you start your threads about the other problems you mentioned I, along with other concerned TV members, can offer my support. I haven't seen those threads yet, but I am sure they will appear very shortly.... I mean surely, even in this town, no-one is such a dumb-ass as to slag off one thread, highlight other issues that they feel should be given equal attention and then not bother to start a thread about them.... Surely....

"If you're not a part of the solution you're a part of the problem..." and if you're involved in actions that try to subdue the finding of a solution to the problem then as far as I'm concerned you're not only a part of the problem... you're INVOLVED in the problem.

OK, it's a fair cop, i wear a disguise as a Thai policeman, that's funny!

thanks for the link arnold, but news of this initiative has yet to arrive at ground zero.

yesterday during my beach walk i drew a blank i guess bad timing, but today that pesky lightning strike was at it again.

exactly the same place as the last 2 just to the right of the mike shopping mall steps (which by the way look like they are to get a revamp with some wood decking ).

group of either chinese or south koreans time 14 40

OK, it's a fair cop, i wear a disguise as a Thai policeman, that's funny!

U might want to visit the fancy dress shop u hired that disguise from because I think they gave u the sphincter costume by mistake....

• Like 1

have not been down to the coconut bar that much recently but 2 days ago on a walk back from naklua mkt i happened across 1 in the usual place (to the right of the steps near mike shopping mall ) at 15 40 two indians getting stiffed.

whatever the talk is in the real world nothing has changed

1 week in Phuket. Have tried hard and watched every day! Patong & Kata Beaches NO Jet Ski scams, as far as I could observe.. Quite the opposite. The youngsters taking care of a busy jet & para-sailing business are friendly, funny and seem to be very helpful. Talked to a couple of them and they just smiled when I inquired about the scams. "We not do here, only Pattaya have, before have some bad guys here, but all stop long time."

Overall much friendlier people here, but also a much better clientele. Very few Indians or easy targets.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

that's my shift over this trip, back to falang land without my "hansum man " disguise outfit which i will hand back in at swampy.

this trip i think i had 3 beach walks which failed to result in me spotting a scam, but this is low season and there are fewer customers/targets about.

did not get "made" once i reckon i could go undercover for the FBI /CIA i have had that much practise at blending in.

and thankyou arnold for your continued supportsmile.png

Edited by striderman

that's my shift over this trip, back to falang land without my "hansum man " disguise outfit which i will hand back in at swampy.

this trip i think i had 3 beach walks which failed to result in me spotting a scam, but this is low season and there are fewer customers/targets about.

did not get "made" once i reckon i could go undercover for the FBI /CIA i have had that much practise at blending in.

and thankyou arnold for your continued supportsmile.png

Safe journey Strider..

Hope to see you back soon.

Interesting story in a online bangkok publication today involving a meeting with expats and police, one police lt col has said two jetski and speedboat operators in South Pattaya have been identified as members of extortion gangs.

How long has he known this, and why did he not shut them down (or arrest them) as soon as he became aware of that? He might have known that for 2 years. Many of us on this thread have known there were extortions going on nearly every day on the beaches of Pattaya and Phuket, for many months. Does that mean we know more than the cops? It appears that way.

If that Lt.Col had the testicular fortitude and resolve that a farang police brass would have, then he would have done some investigation (photos, interviews with victims, etc) and arrested the extortionists. Since no authority has done that in many moons, we can assume the authorities are letting it happen - either because they're in on the scam, or they don't care that it's happening, or they're afraid of the extortionists. Whichever way you slice it, Thai authorities score F's across the board, while vicitms continue to get ripped off and ruined vacations.

another part of the expats call for pattaya clean up

"The police work must be done step by step.

"Sudden enforcement may initially scare away the wrongdoers, but they will finally return to the business. We are trying to bring as many honest operators on to our side as possible," Pol Lt Col said.

From my observations over the past few years I would doubt if there were any honest operators at all and it is highly likely that police own many of these jet ski's.

"Sudden enforcement may initially scare away the wrongdoers, but they will finally return to the business. We are trying to bring as many honest operators on to our side as possible," Pol Lt Col said.

From my observations over the past few years I would doubt if there were any honest operators at all and it is highly likely that police own many of these jet ski's.

I think this means that the guys running the scams will continue to run the scams until honest operators are brought in. Of course honest operators do not want to get involved with typical lowlife violence so you customers (saps, suckers, marks, ATMs) will just have to deal with it.

• Like 1

What would the sage police brass do if a gang was running all around his house, stealing everything inside? Sounds like he would bide his time, not wanting to scare away the wrongdoers.

What a poor excuse for a police officer. No wonder the extortionists, who have been plying their trade for many moons in plain sight, will laugh at authorities' limp-wristed ineptitude.

Edited by maidu

With respect folks , this has dragged on & on & on.

There is as much chance of this being eradicated as Heroin Trafficking being stopped in the 'Golden Triangle' too much $$$$$$$$$ at stake.

Until there is a replacement fund raiser it will continue

beatdeadhorse.gif

• Like 1

Not surprising: All Thai responses we've heard (however few) on this topic, from top authorities, on down, are about how the jetski problem might adversely affect tourism.

I have yet to hear any Thai opine how sad it is that these tourists, who take the time and money to vacation in Thailand, have their vacations totally ruined. Sometimes I wonder if Buddhism has anything to do with compassion (other than lip service), .....and I'm a Buddhist.

• Like 1

It's pretty stupid, bold and greedy for the Police to permit gangsters rob/defraud/extort/intimidate tourists, assault, kidnap/take hostage, right on the main beach in a tourist town.

The Police drag their feet and claim it's an unsolvable dilemma.

Ever been to a Police station and watched the staff as the Commander comes and goes?

They treat him like a god.

If he ordered the scams to stop, they would stop in an instant.