Thaksin Calls In To 'Instruct' Thai Cabinet

webfact

Hi Tom.

I think you mentioned in another post that you are an American, as am I. How would you feel if you read an article that stated That "Nixon calls in to instruct Ford's cabinet" ?

Shocked! They're dead.blink.gif

Hey, they didn't call him Tricky Dicky for nothing, you know? :lol:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit

"I have two advisers: Thaksin and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat," said Yongyuth, who is also Pheu Thai Party Leader.

tweedledee-tweedledum.jpg

Still enjoying childrens cartoons Buchholz? Pinocchio.....now this....I guess inspector gadget still appeals too......

"I have two advisers: Thaksin and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat," said Yongyuth, who is also Pheu Thai Party Leader.

Still enjoying childrens cartoons Buchholz? Pinocchio.....now this....I guess inspector gadget still appeals too......

Whether it's Yingluck's lies or getting advice from banned politicians, they seem to fit well with the childish actions of the government.

Edited by Buchholz

Fortunately, Buchholz posts in the right context. After all, we are discussing a government with a rather childish mentality that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Fortunately, Buchholz posts in the right context. After all, we are discussing a government with a rather childish mentality that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

that's a lovely thing to say about 48% of the voting country

Always best to communicate in your most influential method.............Buchholz........words?...pictures?.......yes you are right.......stick with the pictures......easier for some to understand too.........

Ironically Khun Yingluck is taking the image of Thai women in politics backwards a generation or two.

I wonder what Abhisit did for the image of democratically elected politicians by agreeing to lead a government brokered by the military in an army base? Of course we know the people have cast their judgement on that government. At the next election we will see what they think of the PTP government

......easier for some to understand too.........

See? Even you got it.

It's true what you say, rixalex.

Now, perhaps we're ready to make the topic the topic, rather than making posters the topic.

:thumbsup:

Thaksin lectures Cabinet amid calls for his return

BANGKOK: Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra lectured Thailand's cabinet for two hours during a Skype call from Cambodia in his most defiant act since his younger sister Yingluck was swept into power in elections in July. Thaksin's critics seized on the call to accuse him of being the power behind Ms Yingluck, a 44-year-old political novice. The telecommunications billionaire, a divisive figure in Thailand who has been sentenced to two years in jail for corruption, lectured ministers on a range of topics, including flood relief, an election pledge to raise the minimum daily wage and the government's rice mortgage scheme.

Journalists reported that some ministers sat ''uncomfortably'' in their seats during the call. Ms Yingluck played down the intervention, saying the gathering of ministers on Wednesday was not a formal cabinet meeting and that her brother only wanted to provide moral support for the government's work and to ''exchange viewpoints''. But opposition chief whip Jurin Laksanawisit said it was clear that Ms Yingluck was her brother's "puppet''.

For almost a week Thaksin has been taunting his critics from across the border in Cambodia where he has been photographed embracing the Prime Minister, Hun Sen, to whom he is a former economic adviser.

In speeches Thaksin described Cambodia as ''like my home''

Continues:

http://straightfurrow.farmonline.co.nz/news/world/world/general/thaksin-lectures-cabinet-amid-calls-for-his-return/2302641.aspx

Sydney Morning Herald - Sept. 24, 2011

Edited by Buchholz

See? Even you got it.

Now, perhaps we're ready to make the topic the topic, rather than making posters the topic.

:coffee1: as I said stick to the pictures, and the newspaper articles written to sell newspapers.........

Edited by 473geo

Having grown up in a mature democracy (if I may be pardoned to say so) and not a TPLAC, I'm really amazed and somewhat disturbed that some others here, also seemingly from Western Democracies, see nothing wrong in a fugitive criminal as 'de facto' PM and his sister as the 'de jure' one.

I would almost say "I'm speechless", but as some have it I might get a second award for 'daftest political comment of the week'. Intimidation almost works :(

And yet, having grown up in a mature democracy, you weren't even a little bit surprised by the military creating the last government by bullying sufficient mp's into forming a coalition that suited said military? And you saw nothing wrong, as a purveyor of mature democracy, with the de facto leader of the second-largest grouping of the last coalition government being in the middle of a five year ban from involvement in politics?

Bovine excreta, my dear chap. I only became an 'active' member of the TV community around March 2010. I've commented on the coup a few times since. As for the de facto leader of BJT, a bit of a disgrace there, same with the dinosaurs of some other parties in the current government.

Still none is in the same league as k. Thaksin who makes Thailand really look undeveloped as far as democracy, politics and justice is concerned.

And again almost speechless, people here start to obfuscate and try to twist away from the 'de facto' PM rather than commenting on it.

Edited by rubl

See? Even you got it.

:coffee1: as I said stick to the pictures, and the newspaper articles written to sell newspapers.........

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't most if not all in newspapers written to sell ?

I wonder what Abhisit did for the image of democratically elected politicians by agreeing to lead a government brokered by the military in an army base? Of course we know the people have cast their judgement on that government. At the next election we will see what they think of the PTP government

Horse-trading is an ugly old business and no doubt there were involved a good number of unelected influential people in the coalition governments that came before Abhisit, so i don't think his government particularly worsened or improved the image of democratically elected politicians. I think what he did once in power though, in dealing with the shit storm that both the economy and Thaksin threw his way, was quite admirable.

The people who didn't vote for him may not have felt that way, but that was their opinion, and an opinion isn't made into a fact by it being shared with other people. If you were living here and saw things with your own eyes, let that be your judgement, just like you let your ears judge music, not the number of people who buy it or how well it climbs the Top 40.

As far as Yingluck is concerned, you seem to be against any comment, or should that be any negative comment, being made about her on the basis that the only thing that counts is how people vote at the next election. For sure, the election is what will decide where the power rests, but should people not be allowed an opinion as to her ongoing performance and allowed to express it?

See? Even you got it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't most if not all in newspapers written to sell ?

You are correct Rubl, which is why they generally contain attention grabbing headline articles, a little fact, and a generous sprinkling of conjecture and imagination.....

Edited by 473geo

These were exactly my thoughts as I tried to find evidence of 'instruction' in the article.

The unfortunate mix of 1) The Nation's bias and 2) The use of The Nation articles to begin practically all threads in the TV News forum is directly responsible for turning these pages into the internet's ghetto for anti-PTP farang sentiment.

A playground for those with pre-existing anti-PTP views and those that have been persuaded by the inevitable strength of feeling shown here, it is a tough place to promote balanced argument and informed opinion without getting accused of being one side or the other's lackey. Still, it's a challenge that appeals to open minds and masochists alike. And if you're an open minded masochist, have at 'em I say!!!!!

There is no evidence of instructions being given, and as such i agree it should not be used in the title for the sake of supposed professional journalism, but really, does anyone actual doubt that he did give instructions of one sort or another? I don't really think so.

and to follow on your point, does anyone doubt that they have been talking all along? As far as real events go, I think this is a non-event. As far as the propaganda war goes, the Nation will be repeating this skype-fest in their articles for the next 6 months in the same way the mentioned his "clone" statement for the last 6 months.

Hi Tom.

I think you mentioned in another post that you are an American, as am I. How would you feel if you read an article that stated That "Nixon calls in to instruct Ford's cabinet" ?

like I said, non-issue. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that they have been communicating already. But 2 points:

1: if this is an issue for the Thai constituency, then it is better that it be out in the open, rather than in the rumor mill

2: transparency - this was an issue with the administration of George W Bush, and generally seems to be an issue in Thai politics. Like point #1, better to have it out in the open.

There is no evidence of instructions being given, and as such i agree it should not be used in the title for the sake of supposed professional journalism, but really, does anyone actual doubt that he did give instructions of one sort or another? I don't really think so.

and to follow on your point, does anyone doubt that they have been talking all along? As far as real events go, I think this is a non-event. As far as the propaganda war goes, the Nation will be repeating this skype-fest in their articles for the next 6 months in the same way the mentioned his "clone" statement for the last 6 months.

Hi Tom.

like I said, non-issue. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that they have been communicating already. But 2 points:

1: if this is an issue for the Thai constituency, then it is better that it be out in the open, rather than in the rumor mill

2: transparency - this was an issue with the administration of George W Bush, and generally seems to be an issue in Thai politics. Like point #1, better to have it out in the open.

You're missing the point. It is an illegal activity. With it out in the open, sooner or later there will be charges brought. If convicted all the Thaksin lovers here will be screaming "judicial coup" and "double standards", but that's all bullshit.

You're missing the point. It is an illegal activity. With it out in the open, sooner or later there will be charges brought. If convicted all the Thaksin lovers here will be screaming "judicial coup" and "double standards", but that's all bullshit.

Calling out double standards isn't bullshit, as I pointed out to you in an earlier thread, the one which you promised to edify me in if I reminded you which one it was, but didn't when I did.

I don't think they are missing the point. The point being that the Thaksin lovers allow the chief thief to be above the law.

See? Even you got it.

And you can stick your noteworthy additions on posters instead of the topic, on which you have precious little thus far.

Well done.

Edited by Buchholz

Government House officials said that though former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was disappointed he could not step in and dispense favours due to new military regulations being put in effect after the 2006 coup, he did not object to the new military line-up.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4715849

As far as the propaganda war goes on there will be people from mature democracies who will insist on calling any article they don't like drivel. Freedom of the press seems to mean nothing. 'we want the press to ask questions we want to answer, and answer what we want them to print'. A nice lady said this on Fox.

you're not a fan of Fox News, too are you? I'm so disappointed !

B)

btw, I reserve the word drivel for drivel, not for any article that I don't like.

If charges are brought it will only be because the elected prime minister, heading an elected governement will once again have been forced out of office by an unelected establishment, whether by means of a military coups or any other means.

If that happens it will finish Thailand as a credible state, certainly in the eyes of the countries from which most of the posters on this board, who yearn for such an event, come from.

Continues:

http://straightfurrow.farmonline.co.nz/news/world/world/general/thaksin-lectures-cabinet-amid-calls-for-his-return/2302641.aspx

also includes the passage:

But many senior ministers have made no secret that they support the return of Thaksin without him having to serve time in jail. The government is seeking pardons for many of the more than 230,000 prisoners

A positive sign of this and other passages is the international media's recognition of Thaksin's relationship and control of the government.

Edited by Buchholz

If charges are brought it will only be because the elected prime minister, heading an elected governement will once again have been forced out of office by an unelected establishment, whether by means of a military coups or any other means.

If that happens it will finish Thailand as a credible state, certainly in the eyes of the countries from which most of the posters on this board, who yearn for such an event, come from.

Don't look now but Thailands credibility has been going down the toilet for the last few months as this farce of a governement is being exposed for what it is. And posters here are not yearning for another coup but rather for the progression of democracy not for it to be hijacked by a Shinawatra dictatorialship.

-- snip --

Hi Tom.

I'm hardly missing the point - first, I'm in no position to judge it's legality in Thailand, and second, the legality of the Taksin talking with people in Thailand is included in point #1 "issue for the Thai constituency", and it is IMO still better to have it out in the open rather than have it insinuated such as when the PM started her international tour.

Sure. They were elected by the people. Who cares if they break the law.

Continues:

http://straightfurro...rn/2302641.aspx

also includes the passage:

But many senior ministers have made no secret that they support the return of Thaksin without him having to serve time in jail. The government is seeking pardons for many of the more than 230,000 prisoners

A positive sign of this and other passages is the international media's recognition of Thaksin's relationship and control of the government.

Or maybe a little wonderment as to why all these people continue to support the man?........convicted of a crime, which appears to be considered by many as a politically motivated conviction.....

Edited by 473geo

Calling out double standards isn't bullshit, as I pointed out to you in an earlier thread, the one which you promised to edify me in if I reminded you which one it was, but didn't when I did.

I did, go back and look.

Hi Tom.

I'm hardly missing the point - first, I'm in no position to judge it's legality in Thailand, and second, the legality of the Taksin talking with people in Thailand is included in point #1 "issue for the Thai constituency", and it is IMO still better to have it out in the open rather than have it insinuated such as when the PM started her international tour.

It's not an issue for the constituency at all. It's an issue for the justice system, such as it is.