Ilr (To) Citizenship

Depends. If the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen, no. Otherwise, yes.

Although the actual requirement is 'free from immigration time restrictions' which means ILR or the equivalent.

See Requirements for naturalisation if you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen or Standard requirements for naturalisation

As i take it , if your now wife came to the UK for a holiday Visa, for 6 months, then went home for 6 month, You get married and apply for a settelment visa and its granted, yuou return to the Uk, Now having been in the UK for 27 months can apply for a passport and citizen ship. the total from the first time in the UK would be three years and 3 months , am I correct.

The residency rules for a spouse or civil partner are currently:-

• They must have been legally in the UK on the exact date three years prior to applying, the type of visa they had doesn't matter.
  • During the past three years they must have spent no more than 270 days out of the UK, with no more than 90 days in the final year.

Plus, as already said, they must be free from immigration time restrictions.

The residency rules for a spouse or civil partner are currently:-

• They must have been legally in the UK on the exact date three years prior to applying, the type of visa they had doesn't matter.
  • During the past three years they must have spent no more than 270 days out of the UK, with no more than 90 days in the final year.

Plus, as already said, they must be free from immigration time restrictions.

So she has already had 180 days outside the UK does not leave a lot does it ?

I f she does not quite qualify then just wait a little longer.

HI,

just jumping on this thread,

I had asked on another thread about Ilr and also Flr and it now looks likely that we will apply for Flr (extension) for my wife.

Does this mean that after she has been in the Uk for the 3 years and meets the other requirements can she apply for citizenship straight form her Flr visa and completely miss out on getting her Ilr visa?.

If so this would be great news for us.

Thanks James.

The answer to that question is No. ILR is required See post 2. 7&7 has answerd that in that post.

HI,

just jumping on this thread,

I had asked on another thread about Ilr and also Flr and it now looks likely that we will apply for Flr (extension) for my wife.

Does this mean that after she has been in the Uk for the 3 years and meets the other requirements can she apply for citizenship straight form her Flr visa and completely miss out on getting her Ilr visa?.

If so this would be great news for us.

Thanks James.

Edited by kennkate