Thailand: Terror In The Red-Light District

webfact

Thailand: Terror in the red-light district

Jihadis target a lesser-known breed of sex tourist.

Patrick Winn

BANGKOK, Thailand — There are no battlefield guarantees in Asia’s bloodiest Islamic insurgency, a jihad in Thailand’s tropical south that has ended nearly 5,000 lives.

But there are a few rules of thumb. In their self-proclaimed “holy war” to carve out the world’s newest Muslim state on the Thai-Malaysia border, jihadis consider soldiers, cops, Buddhist monks, government teachers and their Muslim collaborators as fair game. Backpackers partying just a short distance up the coast are left alone.

But less mercy is offered to a different sort of tourist: Malaysian men, many fellow Muslims, border-hopping into insurgents’ turf for paid sex. Now, after a bloody Sunday night bombing spree in their favored brothel town, Malaysia’s government is warning its men to stay away.

Shortly after sunset on Sept. 18, in the gritty Thai border town of Su-Ngai Golok, a series of explosions erupted on a busy lane lined with hotels, food stalls and karaoke joints.

Televised mobile-phone footage shows pyres raging in front of a bar fitted with Christmas lights, Thai code signaling the availability of cheap beer and hands-on female hostesses. A half-naked man, his clothes singed and shredded, is seen sprawled nearby in the street.

Full Story and picture: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/thailand/110923/thailand-terror-islamic-insurgency-malaysia-red-light-district

-- globalpost.com 2011-09-24

footer_n.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About 20 years ago I worked down south as a soldier (U.S.)...I remember a bombing taking place and of course it turned out to be a jilted lover thing (no Islamic separatist violence)....this current violence began when the Islam of Malaysia and S. Thailand was infiltrated by the Arabic brand of Islam (about 15yrs ago), who in turn began to stir the pot and brought with them its sixth pillar "Kill for God for your new state"...plain sick

About 20 years ago I worked down south as a soldier (U.S.)...I remember a bombing taking place and of course it turned out to be a jilted lover thing (no Islamic separatist violence)....this current violence began when the Islam of Malaysia and S. Thailand was infiltrated by the Arabic brand of Islam (about 15yrs ago), who in turn began to stir the pot and brought with them its sixth pillar "Kill for God for your new state"...plain sick

That must have been interesting. What kind of work did a US soldier do in Southern Thailand 20 years ago. I thought they all left Thailand in 1975.

Just thank buddha that the jihadists have decided not to take matters further up north. After all, I believe it is consistent with their extremist jihadist beilefs to bomb westerners and better still if they are in red-light areas say in Pattaya, Phuket or Silom. Their counterparts in Indonesia may come along and share their experiences re:Bali and Jakarta Marriot. I wonder how effective the Thai anti-terrorism mechanism or are we all just waiting like sitting ducks for the jihadist to make their move in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya?????

Just thank buddha that the jihadists have decided not to take matters further up north. After all, I believe it is consistent with their extremist jihadist beilefs to bomb westerners and better still if they are in red-light areas say in Pattaya, Phuket or Silom. Their counterparts in Indonesia may come along and share their experiences re:Bali and Jakarta Marriot. I wonder how effective the Thai anti-terrorism mechanism or are we all just waiting like sitting ducks for the jihadist to make their move in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya?????

many people, myself included, that it has not already happened in Bangkoks hotspots.....such easy targets....one day no doubt, but many have been saying one day soon for years now.

No news here.

Islam is the most intolerant religion on the planet. Far from sanctioning or condoning murder in the name of Allah, it embraces it.

Absolutely correct.

Whoever bothered to read Al Koran in Spanish (the English translations miss lots of nuances and as of late suffer from an acute case of PC) that has thousands of vocables in Arabic, will find that in the first 10 pages that it is exactly what it mandates: "If the infidel cannot be persuaded to believe in the only true God, Allah and his prophet Mohamed, he should be eliminated."

Yet, Bush and Obama have both stated that Islam is a religion of peace.

The messenger of God Mohamed lead over 40 raids and wars that expanded Islam while he found time to marry Aisha, his second wife, when she was 6. Marriage was consummated when she turned 9.

No news here.

Islam is the most intolerant religion on the planet. Far from sanctioning or condoning murder in the name of Allah, it embraces it.

Absolutely correct.

Whoever bothered to read Al Koran in Spanish (the English translations miss lots of nuances and as of late suffer from an acute case of PC) that has thousands of vocables in Arabic, will find that in the first 10 pages that it is exactly what it mandates: "If the infidel cannot be persuaded to believe in the only true God, Allah and his prophet Mohamed, he should be eliminated."

The messenger of God Mohamed lead over 40 raids and wars that expanded Islam while he found time to marry Aisha, his second wife, when she was 6. Marriage was consummated when she turned 9.

If I wanted to, I am sure I can cherry pick similarly outdated paragraphs from the bible or whatever religious text you happen to want to bash. But this thread is not about the merits of Islam and specifically, I am sure bashing Islam or Muslims (or any religion) is NOT ALLOWED. You need to get out and meet more Muslims, many of whom are as moderate as your garden variety Christian.

I am not a Muslim but I do find your post above about as hateful as any terrorist can muster. Shame.

No news here.

Absolutely correct.

If I wanted to, I am sure I can cherry pick similarly outdated paragraphs from the bible or whatever religious text you happen to want to bash. But this thread is not about the merits of Islam and specifically, I am sure bashing Islam or Muslims (or any religion) is NOT ALLOWED. You need to get out and meet more Muslims, many of whom are as moderate as your garden variety Christian.

I am not a Muslim but I do find your post above about as hateful as any terrorist can muster. Shame.

you should leave it

i don't argue with bigotry as a rule of thumb.

Bet the mid east terrorists don't hit any of the Arab watering holes and pickup joints around Sukhumvit Soi 3. That is THEIR (and their funders) R&R retreat area.

. Based upon the daily crime reports in the Pattaya Daily News, I am quite certain Boyztown Pattaya is especially safe, as are the delightful ladyboy contingent of that special city by sea.

Something to be said about Phuket with its 25%+ muslim population and high end middle eastern visitors: Rather peaceful with the only terrorization done by the jetski and tuk tuk mob.

Cant help but notice that nearly all the troubles in the world seem to be being stoked up by muslims. Extremeists, abousultely but the moderate muslims which are the majority dont seem to be able or want to deal with the troublemakers. How do deal with it, I dont know and the big problem is that soon, some of these muslims are going to go nuclear. If you give them what they want, next week, a new set of demands. They want a holy war, well one day they may get their wish, religion seems to be at the root of many conflicts anyway.

Please name me a tolerant religion :whistling:

For one, I was raised by intolerant Catholics.

Take the Serbs and the Croatians, which ones are the Orthodox and which ones are the Catholics again?

Anyway, they killed each other and the Muslims who were in their way too.

As Christopher Hitchens said it so well: "Religion poisons everything"

Edited by tartempion

Take the Serbs and the Croatians, which ones are the Orthodox and which ones are the Catholics again?

Mine, called the "dee religion". It has only three tenets:

1) jai dee

2) tam dee

3) kit dee

No news here.

Absolutely correct.

Outdated paragraphs from the revelations of Allah to Mohamed? That is the base upon Islam is built.

I quoted historical facts, not opinion.

No need to become emotional or PC. It is history. That is the way it is.

Exceptions do not a rule make.

The thread is about Islam and the way it has affected society today: Mumbai, Madrid, London, Pakistan, USA, Manila... including Thailand.

As we speak now. They are already here in Bangkok as we speak and growing quite fast in numbers. Mostly in areas that have high numbers of Muslims.

Thailand government has violated past agreements with southern Muslims. Declared open season on Muslims in Thailand. Thailand has failed them.

Soon, Thailand will be engulfed in a South East Asian version of what you see in the Middle East. It will not be just Southern Muslim Thai’s, but Malaysians, Indonesian as well.

Basically the story from Global Post is accurate.

Good day

Edited by AbdulJabaar01

Too many people are scared to say the truth.

1 - Islam does indeed preach hate, violence, murder and condones even rewards murderers in the name of Islam.

2 - Even though Islam 'forbids' Homosexuality Muslims regularly engage in such acts. I used to live in the Canaries with a high Muslim Population and if the young men couldn't find a young Western girl to screw they would go home and screw each other and if one of them was married his wife would be ordered to wash them both down. One guy told me once a woman is for procreation a man is for pleasure. Yet they don't consider themselves Gay.

3 - Alcohol is banned I see many Muslims drinking in Pattaya yet they preach to us about how we should live our lives. Even more Hypocritical than the Catholic church.

4 - They are purposely outbreeding everyone else within 50 years Europe will be a predominantly Muslim region.

5 - They are setting up Shariah controlled areas in parts of Britain and the Bitish gov't doesn't have the will to stop them for fear of being branded racist.

6 - They are allowed to marry children yet Westerners are branded as Paedophiles, for them it's just 'Culture'

Sadly these aren't the rantings of a racist man I take people as I find them however these are FACTS based on keeping my eyes and ears open and they are all scary facts we have to take on board and not be scared to share around.

Buddhism

Taoism

Jainism

Sikhism

Ayyavazhi

Confucianism

Zen

Enough?

I was speaking to some people i think they were Saudi, but it is indeed true that visas are issued solely for the purpose of having sex. I forget what they call it but it is true. Sort of like a 'break from your religion' type visa.

please learn your history before you make stupid comments (this goes for all of you). the issues in the far south have nothing to do with jihad, or extremists wanting to bomb westerners. in fact it has little to do with religion at all.

Edited by Scott
comment about moderation edited out

In London today 12,000 Muslims are gathering for prayers of peace and to condem terrorism. Unfortunately in other parts of London there are groups who are declaring 'sharia controlled' zones and enforcing their laws like no alchohol, no gambling, even no music!, with bands of basically young upstanding good Muslim thugs. It's the religion teaching this madness and disrespect for the country and any people's who don't subscribe to their beliefs.

My Muslim friends are basically the same as any westerner, drink, party and don't take religious things too seriously; maybe believe in a god but don't listen to dogma and call themselves Muslim because that's the religion of their birth; prity much the same as most people in uk. But it's the ones that really get in to the religion and believe word for word that come to make problems; both Christian and Muslim; however Muslim extremism is by far more dangerous and intolerant.

So basically moderates are good people despite of their Religion where as extremists can b bad to various degrees because of their religion .

I wouldn't b classed under any religion but disregarding the waffle in holy books and just focusing on the main mans- it's clear one is a war mongering pedophile , while the other was a prity peaceful dude. Like the difference between Gandhi and Osama bin Larden

Not pc To say it but it's all there in black and White and accepted; just different terminology used to glorify indecency

please learn your history before you make stupid comments (this goes for all of you). the issues in the far south have nothing to do with jihad, or extremists wanting to bomb westerners. in fact it has little to do with religion at all.

Well, I was making a general comment,but, please free to tell me and others what is the basis of the problem down south? I am not being sarcastic, tell me and others the way you see it.

Edited by Scott
deleted quote edited out