Pattaya Tourist Police Arrest Suspected Jet Ski Scammers

webfact

I've been wondering when they would screw with the wrong "tourists".

I figured it would be the "wrong" Russians, but many Saudi (and other) tourists have enough bucks that they can make pretty much anyone- anywhere- disappear.

The scammers are probably lucky they were arrested and their bodies didn't just show up in some ditch- which they just may if they're released. It's probably no longer about the money- it's about "don't mess with us". I can also imagine a scenario where a major investor in Marriott calls the CEO of Marriott and says, "My nephew is having problems at your Pattaya hotel- take care of it- or update your CV".

Don't you watch too many movies?

I thought the Mayor dragged all the boat/Jet Ski opertators into his office and gave them the ultimatume - get insurance to cover any damage/ stop the scams or lose your permit to operate

No ... He just showed up one day with his built in camera crew and reporters. Accomplished nothing but getting another photo of himself in the papers. He, like most others, have been ineffective against these thugs for such a long time. Too bad, because I still believe he has been one of the best Mayors Pattaya has had.

I do not think many Westerners, even the one's that have been here a long time, realize how little authority the government really has over the police and military in this country. It's not exactly like a first world country where basically the Executive branch of the government is in charge of the Police and Military. Maybe it's written into law that way, But ?

I wonder if the tourist that was brave enough to complain, have to give testimony in court? If that the case the scumbags will walk as the court will be in maybe 6 month time or thereabouts.

Dunno about that: Should be no need for a trial if they pleaded guilty already. See below

Mind you 2 things spring to mind.

1. Plead guilty on orders from above and the investigation will stop there. No bigwigs will be named.

2. The penalty will be so small that they are probably quite happy to plead guilty as the sentence will be halved just for pleading guilty.When the police was informed about this case they immediately arrested the five suspects in order to prevent further damage to the reputation of Pattaya since threats and extortions from jetski operators are common. The five suspects confessed on all accounts.

I wonder if the tourist that was brave enough to complain, have to give testimony in court? If that the case the scumbags will walk as the court will be in maybe 6 month time or thereabouts.

Dunno about that: Should be no need for a trial if they pleaded guilty already. See below

Mind you 2 things spring to mind.

1. Plead guilty on orders from above and the investigation will stop there. No bigwigs will be named.

2. The penalty will be so small that they are probably quite happy to plead guilty as the sentence will be halved just for pleading guilty.When the police was informed about this case they immediately arrested the five suspects in order to prevent further damage to the reputation of Pattaya since threats and extortions from jetski operators are common. The five suspects confessed on all accounts.

Have to agree with that. Plead Guilty, No trial like most other places. Just a sentencing hearing and 1/2 the sentence or fine. and .... considering it was estimated in the Media just a few weeks ago that some of these guys were bringing in up to 100,000 baht per day, how much do you think the fine will be which will technically be their first offense ? Maybe 5,000-10,000 baht ? I hardly think this is going to affect the issue much. Hope I'm wrong.

I cannot remember any of these thugs ever being arrested. So, maybe this will stick as so many arrests just seem to evaporate after a few days. Hopefully, this is the start of the end of this scam which has been going on for so long it has made international news. However, I am highly skeptical, hope my instincts are wrong and it stops this terrible issue.

DITTO, in every respect.

This arrest has only happened because the police for once have not sided with the scammers or given advice that the tourist should pay and let them sort it out themselves but I think it has been planned before hand by the Pattaya Police and the tourist police and they were waiting for the first slip up as it was the only way to charge them.

Lets hope if this is the case that the Police have strict instructions to keep their snouts out of the trough.

There was a scam still going on at soi 12 tonight , now i think the scammers will try and keep the tourists on the beach as long as possible to get money and they will probably make a quick deal if the people start calling the police.

Or ..... it may simply be, business as usual. The relevant ambassadors have raised a stink recently and the equally relevant powers that be have been instructed to apply the band-aid. I would think ... All for the media.

See, we are doing something about the recent uproar from those pesky farang tourists.

Let's all see how long THIS one lasts.

Hats off to the Tourist Police in Pattaya. In Phuket the jet ski scum have been given another extension, this one for 2 years and they have been warned that they are going to be tested for drugs next week. Amazing Thailand.

And if they test positive ... (someone) may want a piece of that as well.

Wonder what this is really all about, the tourist police have had hundreds of opportunities to step in years ago, they never have, why now?

Maybe ... because foreign ambassadors recently raised an international stink?

"Pol. Lt. Col. Aroon Prompan (Travelling Police Pattaya) 11.30 hrs was notified by Mr. Somsak Tanreungsri Duty Manager of Marriott Spa & Resort that eight Thai men arrived at the hotel and were threatening a to beat the hotel guests."

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2011/09/25/jetski-gang-tries-to-extort-thb-from-pattaya-marriott-guests/

Not sure if a misprint but it PDN states "eight thai men arrived at the hotel" if that is the case what happenned to the other 3 ?

I thought the Mayor dragged all the boat/Jet Ski opertators into his office and gave them the ultimatume - get insurance to cover any damage/ stop the scams or lose your permit to operate

Insurance??? Oh sure!! Insurance companies will jump all OVER each other for this wonderful opportunity!

Saudi Arabian Tourist stand up to the Jet Ski Scammers

PATTAYA: -- The police have finally after hundreds of reports of extortion by jet-ski operators in Pattaya made some arrests of these individuals that have been spoiling the good name of the city for the last few years.

There have been reports of violence been threatened in the past and this was the case when police were called to the Marriott hotel just after midnight on September the 24th as 8-10 Thai men were stopping four Saudi Arabian men from entering the hotel.

Full story HERE

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2011-09-25 footer_n.gif

Insurance??? Oh sure!! Insurance companies will jump all OVER each other for this wonderful opportunity!

Of course they will because it is the insurance company that sets the price for the repairs not the jetski mafia.For the damage which they previously ripped off tourists to the amount of 60-100.000 baht they will get now maybe 2500 Baht from the insurance company,but every ticket they sell the insurance company will get a commission.

Of course they will because it is the insurance company that sets the price for the repairs not the jetski mafia.For the damage which they previously ripped off tourists to the amount of 60-100.000 baht they will get now maybe 2500 Baht from the insurance company,but every ticket they sell the insurance company will get a commission.

No, the whole point of requiring the jetski operators to buy insurance is so that they will NEVER be able to ask customers to pay for damage. The cost of insurance will be included in a higher than before rental fee. This idea won't work, though, because NO insurance company, not even a THAI insurance company :rolleyes: would touch this with a 10 foot poll! Insurance agents can't just write coverage on any people or things they want.