Tawan (ตะวัน)

Soph

ตะวัน 'tawan' means 'sun' (this is an old Thai word, comes from 'the eye of the day' (ตา + วัน) taa + wan.

(The normal way of transcribing the Thai letter ต is 't' or 'dt'.) This is because 'th' should be used for aspirated sounds, as the initial letter in the word ไทย 'thai'. Unfortunately, there is a lot of confusion in the area of transcription.

บ้าน 'baan'[F] means 'house' or 'village'

So บ้านตะวัน 'baan[F] tawan[M]' means 'Sun house' or 'Sun village'.

One of my favourite restaurants, where Carabao own and play - tawan daeng - setting sun.

This is a standard name for เพลงเพื่อชีวิด 'phleeng pheua chiiwit' (Songs for Life) places. There is one ตะวันแดง in almost every city, it seems - and several in Bangkok (so make clear which one you are going to if you take a taxi, so you dont end up in the wrong end of town like I did once. :o).

ตะวันรุ่ง - rising sun. (morning sun)

you beat me up again .. and its right!!

เก่งมากค่ะพี่ meadish_sweetball

ps :o พี่ meadish_sweetball , พี่มีชื่อภาษาไทยไหมค่ะ

(ด้วยน้ำเสียงใหญ่แบบผู้ชายโฆษณาหนัง Hollywood) :D

คนที่กล้าพอที่จะอ้างชื่อขึ้นมักจะเรียกกันว่า...

ลูกชิ้นเนื้อสวีเด็น !!! :o

กรี๊ด.....TV forum had a prob, what i typed all gone ,, :D

ด้วยน้ำเสียงใหญ่แบบผู้ชายโฆษณาหนัง Hollywood)

คนที่กล้าพอที่จะอ้างชื่อขึ้นมักจะเรียกกันว่า...

ลูกชิ้นเนื้อสวีเด็น !!!

อร่อยไหมค่ะ ลูกชิ้นเนื้อสวีเดน :o errr .. i ate once ...yummi boy ..oops :D
What about a name like Suriya?

สุริยา สุริยะ สุริยัน = Sun , guy's name

Edited by BambinA

ตะวันรุ่ง - rising sun. (morning sun)

There is a soi near the Other Mac's house, that's called the Rising Sun

It's been the subject of many-a posts

At least I know of one

Groan :o

How confusing though. I always figured ตะวันออก (tawanawk - lit. "sun out" - east) to more literally mean sunrise. Which I guess it must still do; so it just happens that ตะวันออก has been codified as the one that means "east" and ตะวันรุ่ง as the one that means "sunrise"? Or are they both completely fluid in usage? Could I say ทางตะวันรุ่ง (tangtawanrung) and be clearly understood to mean "east"?

And, I suppose รุ่ง (rung) must be the same word as in Wat Arun? (can't spell, sorry). Are some of these forms archaic? Someone once told me that "tawan" is older than "ahtit" อาทิตย์, so I always use อาทิตย to refer to the actual sun... so รุ่ง would be the normal word for dawn?

And, I suppose รุ่ง (rung) must be the same word as in Wat Arun? (can't spell, sorry).

from "online The Royal Institue Dictionary"

คำ : รุ่ง

นิยาม : เริ่มแรก (แห่งวัน) เช่น รุ่งอรุณ รุ่งเช้า, สว่าง เช่น รุ่งฟ้า.

= start of the day / dawn ; daybreak

Wat Arun

วัดอรุณ

คำ : อรุณ

นิยาม : เวลาใกล้พระอาทิตย์จะขึ้น มี ๒ ระยะ คือ มีแสงขาวเรื่อๆ (แสงเงิน) และแสงแดงเรื่อๆ (แสงทอง), เวลาย่ำรุ่ง

time when sun is rising , has 2 phases 1) siver light 2) golden light (aurora)

Edited by BambinA

Someone once told me that "tawan" is older than "ahtit" อาทิตย์, so I always use อาทิตย to refer to the actual sun... so รุ่ง would be the normal word for dawn?
Yes. รุ่ง is the colloquial synonym of อรุณ meaning 'morning, daybreak, dawn'. I doubt they are related even though they both share the 'รุ' . I am not sure, but 'arun' is most likely to be of Indic origin (Pali/Sanskrit) whereas rung is probably an original Thai word.

Whoever told you 'tawan' is older than 'aathit' (at least in the Thai language) would be correct as well - 'aathit' is also a loan from an Indic language.

...so it just happens that ตะวันออก has been codified as the one that means "east" and ตะวันรุ่ง as the one that means "sunrise"? Or are they both completely fluid in usage? Could I say ทางตะวันรุ่ง (tangtawanrung) and be clearly understood to mean "east"?

I have never heard a Thai person refer to ทางตะวันรุ่ง , but I am pretty sure it would be understood as the normal expression is so transparent. To my humble farang ears it sounds like a somewhat roundabout or poetic way of expressing the same thing - if a Thai person or authority said it.

If a farang used it, naturally, he would be corrected as most Thais would assume he uses it because he does not know the more common expression, and not for poetic effect. :o

อรุณ is used in the kneejerk translation of 'Good morning', อรุณสวัด which Thais never use amongst themselves unless they are joking.