Calories In White Rice

james24

When you go to a Thai restaraunt and they scoop the rice out of the big rice cooker with that small circular bowl and then place it upside down on your plate to empty it how many grams for white rice is that?

Im trying to lose weight and measuring cals is quite important at the moment but I have no idea by looking at things how much they weigh in grams, can you help?

Very approximately 230 - 300 calories, (140g - 180g) per bowlful

Ah man thats brilliant thanks

I was looking on the internet and found that a cup of cooked white was 200g.

I reckon that cup is probably the same amount of rice you would get from a "sai-gong" serving (take away meal)

Once again thanks Ill go for somewhere in the middle :-)

If you are trying to lose weight, nothing is worse for you than white rice..except maybe candy.

Ditto white bread and white noodles/pasta. Aside from calories these are extremely high on the glycemic index which means they cause a big surge in insulin (followed by a drop..so you get hungry again sooner). Insulin promotes fat storage.

A switch to brown rice, even at the same calories, will work wonders. You'll stay full longer, have less craving for sweets, and burn fat more efficiently.

If you are trying to lose weight, nothing is worse for you than white rice..except maybe candy.

Ditto white bread and white noodles/pasta. Aside from calories these are extremely high on the glycemic index which means they cause a big surge in insulin (followed by a drop..so you get hungry again sooner). Insulin promotes fat storage.

A switch to brown rice, even at the same calories, will work wonders. You'll stay full longer, have less craving for sweets, and burn fat more efficiently.

Funny you mention that. I stopped eating white rice about 3 months ago, admittedly the only time I was eating it was work lunchtime. All I did was cut out the largish bowlful of rice I was eating for lunch, but still ate the side dishes etc. Everything else is still exactly the same, and I have lost just over 7kgs since I started doing that. I've always been an avid exerciser, but was never losing weight until I stopped eating white rice.

Thanks guys

This is baffling, how do they stay so thin?

Id love to switch to brown rice but nowhere bloody sells it cooked. The only place you can get it in a restaraunt here is the "jaeh" shops and there food is all made from soy which is even worse.

Ill definately cut down, perhaps just ask for no rice and take it home and cook my own. Is "kow grong" any good?

Hey Sheryl

Can you post a link about the surges in insulin causing fat storage, Id love to read more about it.

Edited by james24

Brown rice may not be a better alternative. Cultures have been eating properly prepared grains with good results. But now, the majority of us do not properly prepare grains thus leaving the toxins in the grain. A few minutes of research you'd find numerous links with grains causing numerous disorders such as leaky gut, IBS, crohns disease etc. White rice has had the toxins removed thus its essentially starch. And starch is well tolerated and easily digestible by humans. We produce emylase which allows us to break down starch.

White rice isnt a health food. But its not particularly bad for you either as evidenced by numerous cultures throughout the world that eat it and eat it quite often and yet remain in good health. I'd say its a fairly safe carb source and is certainly okay to eat in small portions throughout the day.

There are many good aspects of the Thai diet. For one, they eat numerous vegetables and fruits. They eat chicken, beef, pork, duck, eggs and they aren't afraid to eat organ meats. And for the most part the food they eat is fresh and bought locally.

Unfortunately, they do eat alot of garbage as well. They cook their food in vegetable oils which oxidize (damage) under high temperatures and they consume alot of sugary foods.

Brown rice may not be a better alternative. Cultures have been eating properly prepared grains with good results. But now, the majority of us do not properly prepare grains thus leaving the toxins in the grain. A few minutes of research you'd find numerous links with grains causing numerous disorders such as leaky gut, IBS, crohns disease etc. White rice has had the toxins removed thus its essentially starch. And starch is well tolerated and easily digestible by humans. We produce emylase which allows us to break down starch.

White rice isnt a health food. But its not particularly bad for you either as evidenced by numerous cultures throughout the world that eat it and eat it quite often and yet remain in good health. I'd say its a fairly safe carb source and is certainly okay to eat in small portions throughout the day.

There are many good aspects of the Thai diet. For one, they eat numerous vegetables and fruits. They eat chicken, beef, pork, duck, eggs and they aren't afraid to eat organ meats. And for the most part the food they eat is fresh and bought locally.

Unfortunately, they do eat alot of garbage as well. They cook their food in vegetable oils which oxidize (damage) under high temperatures and they consume alot of sugary foods.

Brown rice has many health benefits. Some people may not be able to digest it well but plenty can and it has lots of vitamins and minerals and is very good for the colon.

As for the diet of Thais being generally good I am sorry but I just can't agree with that.

Lots of unhealthy oils, huge amounts of sugar,fatty meats like pork very popular and you are never sure or how that food was produced and what pesticides, fertilizers etc were used.

Positives for Thai diet are the high seafood intake and fruit but I am not so sure how much vegetables the average Thai eats coz I never see that many veggies on the plate when i see Thais eating.

Brown rice has many health benefits. Some people may not be able to digest it well but plenty can and it has lots of vitamins and minerals and is very good for the colon.

As for the diet of Thais being generally good I am sorry but I just can't agree with that.

Lots of unhealthy oils, huge amounts of sugar,fatty meats like pork very popular and you are never sure or how that food was produced and what pesticides, fertilizers etc were used.

Positives for Thai diet are the high seafood intake and fruit but I am not so sure how much vegetables the average Thai eats coz I never see that many veggies on the plate when i see Thais eating.

The problem with grains is that they aren't prepared properly contain anti-nutrients such as lectin, phytates and some gluten. Phytates for example make minerals and vitamins bio-unavailable. Therefore, we aren't absorbing the nutrients from the grains were consuming. Sure brown rice has a good nutritional profile but if we cant absorb a good % of the nutrients from it what's the point of consuming it. Especially if we don't properly prepare the grains which would remove most of the anti-nutrients from the grain. If we don't do that, not only are we absorbing the nutrients but those anti-nutrients are wreaking havoc on our body and making us more susceptible to auto-immune disorders.

In terms of where and how the food was produced. We have the same kinds of questions in the Western world. Living in a small province 2 hours north of Bangkok, I was more confident with the food quality there than I am back home. Glad to see we agree on the fact that unhealthy oils and the huge amount of sugar they consume is bad. But fatty meats are not bad, they are actually quite good for you. But, I don't think people are going to change their opinions on that, so lets just leave it at that.

If anything, we should question the quality of the seafood Thai people eat. Most people eat fish they catch from all those dirty, polluted rivers. Who knows where the fish i'm eating came from. Let's hope it was from a relatively clean body of water.

Overall, I must say the Thai diet is far better than the Western diet.

Edited by eslteacher

For sure more fiber in brown rice, but most of the nutrients are bound to the fiber and for the most part aren't digested. The better thing to eat is black or red beans, or lentils, but understandably not so easy to find available in restaurants (but easy to cook up a batch at home).