Virgin Coconut Oil Where To Buy

rvdk

I guess "they" isn't the United States Food and Drug Administration, the World Health Organization, the International College of Nutrition, the United States Department of Health and Human Services, the American Dietetic Association, the American Heart Association, the (UK) National Health Service, or Dietitians of Canada. All of these warn against coconut oil because of its high levels of saturated fat.

In fact, the supposed health benefits of virgin coconut oil are simply a marketing ploy playing on the gullibility of a certain sector of society. With the right marketing you can make people spend a fortune on products with no scientifically demonstrable health benefits such as ginseng, goji berries, acai &c. &c..

But to answer the original question: most midmarket shopping malls have stalls cluttering the corridors, some of which sell virgin coconut oil. In Fashion Island, for example, it's on sale on the lowest level.

Tesco lotus or Big C will have it for cheapest, it is usually in the cooking oil section.

Some of the local markets that sell hair/skin products may also sell it, and will usually have different sizes. Buy in glass bottle if possible. It lasts almost forever on the shelf. Gourmet market in Siam Paragon had a whole coconut oil collection, but their prices will be "gourmet".

You are on the right track for health reasons. There is a reason why the coconut palm is nicknamed the "tree of life". I use it to brush my teeth and especially when you use an electronic toothbrush (sonicare or cybersonic), your teeth feel like you've been to the dentist and had your teeth polished, but without the fluoride aftertaste. It also leaves a protective coating around and you can go longer or eat more sweets without having to brush in between.

I've used it as body lotion and lubricant. Works well if your lady is tight. It always interests me that we will go out of our way to buy the fake stuff, especially in a place like thailand.

Better to use KY Jelly on your next "virgin"........

lol -

do post when u get sober

I was completely sober when I wrote that post. Why would you think otherwise? I avoid posting when I am drunk (unless the US economy or the world financial crisis is concerned), as I tend to get too serious and judgmental. Having had two bottles of wonderful red wine and some superb agave tequila, I am now headed out in search of a lovely Pattaya "virgin", if such a thing (over the age of 18) exists. I will keep some coconut oil (or KY Jelly) handy in the event that my search bears fruit :whistling: . Cheers,

Do enlighten me to he health benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil? I just learned Rice Bran Oil is good for me too, I knew about Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Its all about the pulling James wink.gif

Tesco lotus or Big C will have it for cheapest, it is usually in the cooking oil section.

Some of the local markets that sell hair/skin products may also sell it, and will usually have different sizes. Buy in glass bottle if possible. It lasts almost forever on the shelf. Gourmet market in Siam Paragon had a whole coconut oil collection, but their prices will be "gourmet".

You are on the right track for health reasons. There is a reason why the coconut palm is nicknamed the "tree of life". I use it to brush my teeth and especially when you use an electronic toothbrush (sonicare or cybersonic), your teeth feel like you've been to the dentist and had your teeth polished, but without the fluoride aftertaste. It also leaves a protective coating around and you can go longer or eat more sweets without having to brush in between.

I've used it as body lotion and lubricant. Works well if your lady is tight. It always interests me that we will go out of our way to buy the fake stuff, especially in a place like thailand.

Coconut oil is excellent for cooking as it is stable to heat - unlike most other cooking oils which are unsaturated and denature into harmful substances . It aso contains healthful lauric acid.

Coconut water is excellent for your health as well as it contains minerals, vitamins, zero cholesterol and has been used for blood transfusions as it literally matches blood plasma in it's composition.

As oils go, olive oil is good when used in vinaigrettes and salad dressings and is OK for low temperature cooking but beware, it is unstable and should not be used for high temperature cooking for the reasons given before.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Do enlighten me to he health benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil? I just learned Rice Bran Oil is good for me too, I knew about Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

most of your vegetable oils are pretty good. I try to stay away from soybean, and from a taste perspective found sunflower and/or rice brand oil are neutral.

I heard about the oil pulling technique, where you gargle with palm oil for 10-20 minutes in your mouth. I decided after a couple of goes that it would be much easier to use it as toothpaste. Works extremely well, especially when you use an electronic toothbrush.

Edited by 4evermaat

Who are "they" exactly? The health claims for virgin coconut oil are total bullshit but you can buy it in Big C Extra (and presumably most other supermarkets) if the recipe dictates.

And upon what authority do you base your bull_hit statement? Refined coconut is one thing and the crude, unprocessed is another. Given that hundreds-of-millions of people worldwide have cooked with coconut oil for many centuries, I'd say you are wrong.

• Like 1

In fact, the supposed health benefits of virgin coconut oil are simply a marketing ploy playing on the gullibility of a certain sector of society. With the right marketing you can make people spend a fortune on products with no scientifically demonstrable health benefits such as ginseng, goji berries, acai &c. &c..

You are reading in the wrong place. There are many peer-reviewed medical- and pharmaceutical-science journals (e.g., Planta Medica, J. of Ethnopharmacology) that have hundreds of positive research articles on these herbs. Looks like your "facts" were created in your mind by the popular media that's too lazy to research the true facts and instead rely upon press releases from the medical/pharmaceutical industry.

• Like 1

You are reading in the wrong place. There are many peer-reviewed medical- and pharmaceutical-science journals (e.g., Planta Medica, J. of Ethnopharmacology) that have hundreds of positive research articles on these herbs. Looks like your "facts" were created in your mind by the popular media that's too lazy to research the true facts and instead rely upon press releases from the medical/pharmaceutical industry.

Yes, Herbal Ed, I believe you are correct.

Perhaps AyG is confusing raw/virgin/organic coconut with hydrogenated/processed coconut oil, which is very harmful to your health. Two totally different products. They used to put hydrogenated coconut oil on popcorn in theaters.

My understanding is that the body needs *good* saturated fat, and raw/virgin/organic coconut oil is one of the best sources, as is unsalted butter, grass fed beef, dark chicken meat, etc.

You can find raw/virgin/organic coconut oil at most grocery stores (just look for "virgin" or "raw"). 1 tablespoon a day is suggested, based on what I've read.

Also, according to many holistic health professionals (I prefer M.D.s who also do holistic research, such as Dr. Joseph Mercola), a significant, overlooked cause of acne is glueten grains such as wheat, along with fried foods.

Regarding overall health, sugar, even fruit sugar, is a killer. Sugar feeds disease.

<br />I guess "they" isn't the United States Food and Drug Administration, the World Health Organization, the International College of Nutrition, the United States Department of Health and Human Services, the American Dietetic Association, the American Heart Association, the (UK) National Health Service, or Dietitians of Canada.  All of these warn against coconut oil because <font face="sans-serif"><font size="2">of its high levels of saturated fat.</font></font><br /><font face="sans-serif"><font size="2"><br /></font></font><br /><font face="sans-serif"><font size="2">In fact, the supposed health benefits of virgin coconut oil are simply a marketing ploy playing on the gullibility of a certain sector of society.  With the right marketing you can make people spend a fortune on products with no scientifically demonstrable health benefits such as ginseng, goji berries, acai &c. &c..</font></font><br /><font face="sans-serif"><font size="2"><br /></font></font><br /><font face="sans-serif"><font size="2">But to answer the original question:  most midmarket shopping malls have stalls cluttering the corridors, some of which sell virgin coconut oil.  In Fashion Island, for example, it's on sale on the lowest level.</font></font><br />
<br /><br /><br />

All of whom are the same organisations who came up with things like the food pyramid that led to 34% of their country being obese.

It sounds like actually you are the one who has been hoodwinked.

Natural saturated fats are actually healthy, whereas something like sugar is not.

Again, everything in moderation but I cook with either coconut oil, rice bran oil or Olive oil - I eat a lot of saturated fats and my cholestorol levels are all normal/optimal.

Tops sell Organic cold-pressed coconot oil, 250baht if i remember correctly. Store it out of sunlight but you dont need to put it in the fridge (as it will probably go hard). Speak to any respectable dietian will tell you the benefits of coconot oil vs the defacto refined palm oil used in 99% of thai cooking. The same type of people that call bullshit on stuff like this are the same people that said the same about BSE 20 years ago. Each to their own... whistling.gif

Edited by matt111

• 9 months later...