Cable Size / Type

CM4Me

Firstly, may I say that about 1 year ago I was planning to build a sml cottage, which is now well& truly completed. This was my 1st of such projects in the LOS.

Generally speaking I &others are quite pleased with the outcome, & I've had no problems since completion. I put this down primarily to the knowledge gained from this forum,& in particular to those knowledgeable members that answered my queries& gave invaluable advice. To all those concerned a big thank you (again).

I've attached a photo of the completed sml cottage (which, for info, cost B 477,000).

post-85332-0-40013300-1317226666_thumb.j

Having just sold my city condo I'm now planning to build a more suitable sized home for us (with he above sml cottage becoming the 'Guest House'). From the knowledge gained(via this forum) I've been able to advise my architect of my electrical requirements, except for the incoming mains (by that I mean from a new dedicated 15/45 PEA Meter to the main distribution board in the new house).

I wish to run this cable 0.5m underground, in conduit, for a distance of 30m. MD is 42.3A. I understand copper is the preferred means, but I'm not sure regarding the size& type (ie SWA or THW or whatever) Recommendations from the knowledgeable ones would again be very much appreciated.

Kevin

Edited by CM4Me

16sqmm PVC/PVC V75 copper. for a 2.5% voltage drop.

If buried directly in the ground cable should be protected from damage. It is better to run in conduit.

Alternatively SWA/PVC/PVC.this does not require mechanical protection.

Cables under TIS standards are rated at 70C.

SWA cables are much more expensive and may not warrant the cost.

• 3 weeks later...

16mm2 2 core NYY is your stuff http://www.bangkokcable.com/catalog/BCC_CATALOG/NYY2EN.HTML suitable for direct burial in ground (in a layer of sand) so you don't really need the conduit.

Crossy.. Ran across this old thread searching for the size we need for an overhead run. For our 15/45 amp service, I thought the overhead 16 sq mm aluminum would be fine, but today one of the power company guys putting in the poles told us to buy 25 sq mm aluminum wire for the last 35 meter run. Would appreciate your take on this.

16mm2 2 core NYY is your stuff http://www.bangkokcable.com/catalog/BCC_CATALOG/NYY2EN.HTML suitable for direct burial in ground (in a layer of sand) so you don't really need the conduit.

Crossy.. Ran across this old thread searching for the size we need for an overhead run. For our 15/45 amp service, I thought the overhead 16 sq mm aluminum would be fine, but today one of the power company guys putting in the poles told us to buy 25 sq mm aluminum wire for the last 35 meter run. Would appreciate your take on this.

If you're going for aluminium general rule of thumb is that you need to go one size larger than you would for copper, so 25mm2 would be the stuff for a 15/45 supply.

It should still be significantly cheaper than copper and rather less attractive to the light fingered.

Do be aware that Al needs special terminations if you want to use it with fittings intended for Cu, ask your contractor.

If you're going for aluminium general rule of thumb is that you need to go one size larger than you would for copper, so 25mm2 would be the stuff for a 15/45 supply.

It should still be significantly cheaper than copper and rather less attractive to the light fingered.

Do be aware that Al needs special terminations if you want to use it with fittings intended for Cu, ask your contractor.

Thanks Crossy. That is what I was expecting. Good point about the copper being more attractive to the nefarious as well!