Ikea Is Giving Out Their Catalogue!

charlie007

There is an Ikea in Thailand?! ph34r.gif

More cheap commercial crap passing off as quality.

No, passing off as modern style for good value. Which it is. You wanna pay for heavy fancy faux antiques elsewhere, go ahead.

Trendy and fashionable. Selling the indoctrined name and [questionable] reputation.

In fact, it does have a lot of neat stuff. I always like going to IKEA when I'm back in the States. Nobody can indoctrinate me about anything.

What IKEA does, a large market segment likes and feels they're getting what they paid for. Otherwise, IKEA wouldn't be so successful.

And the Thailand branch is going to do land-office business, too, despite the usual sneering here on the forum (consider the source). I'm anticipating a visit.

Edited by JSixpack

No, passing off as modern style for good value. Which it is. You wanna pay for heavy fancy faux antiques elsewhere, go ahead.

Trendy and fashionable. Selling the indoctrined name and [questionable] reputation.

In fact, it does have a lot of neat stuff. I always like going to IKEA when I'm back in the States. Nobody can indoctrinate me about anything.

What IKEA does, a large market segment likes and feels they're getting what they paid for. Otherwise, IKEA wouldn't be so successful.

And the Thailand branch is going to do land-office business, too, despite the usual sneering here on the forum (consider the source). I'm anticipating a visit.

Well said that man! I probably won't be there November 3rd as I don't like big crowds but I'll be there very shortly after!

It will still be far superior to the cheap domestic Thai brand crap like Index, etc.. I had an index couch disintegrate at the seams within 1 year of purchase.

are they doing the = of the 99p breakfast?

Our local in Edmonton (not burnt down in riots) do it and its great ...pig-saus-eggs -toms -beans...yeum lau...as they say in khmer.. :huh:

If you want a hot sausage in your mouth i'm sure Ikea (or somewhere else in BKK) can oblige.

It will still be far superior to the cheap domestic Thai brand crap like Index, etc.. I had an index couch disintegrate at the seams within 1 year of purchase.

Yet, the general context of the thread has nothing to do with promoted comparatives, does it?

Cheap pine rubbish you have to put together or teak stuff that if properly crafted will bridge generational fashions. Bit like people rushing to Maccas when you can buy Tom Yum Soup full of prawns for a third of the price of a Big Mac 100 metres away.

Edited by ronrat

In most countries you can download the catalogue from there website. I guess that should be possible in Thailand also?

They say it will be possible from tomorrow, Oct 3. And also have one sent home to you. BUT only 5000 copies available!

• 2 weeks later...

Ikea has some nice stuff for the money, at least in the US. However, the quality of SB outclasses Ikea by quite a bit.

I think the SB stuff is overpriced junk!!

JH

I compared the online TH and NL catalogues. They are neirly identical. BUT..

... Prices at IKEA TH are at least 150% of the NL prices!!!

Weird, taking into account the strong Baht against the Euro and lower VAT, lower labour costs and a lot of the IKEA stuff is made in Thailand...

We have the catalogue, seems reasonably priced when compared to Ikea Singapore and Sydney which are the only ones we know. Set of drawers we bought for the kids room was $125 Singapore dollars and in Thailand they are in the catalogue for 2000b which is a big saving.

Interesting point about teak compared to the cheap Ikea stuff. At least with Ikea you know what you are buying. I have a shelf to hold DVD's that was less than a hundred Aussie dollars. Its all chipboard BUT its survived a move from one house to another in Sydney, up to Singapore then up here to Bangkok over the course of about 5-6 years and still going strong. I have a teak set of drawers that I bought up here that is under 12 months old and is cracking already.You've got no real way of knowing whether the teak has been treated the right way through the manufacturing process.

Gotta love the hotdogs at 15baht a pop too......

+1. I for one love the fact that they're finally here.

Cheap pine rubbish you have to put together or teak stuff that if properly crafted will bridge generational fashions. Bit like people rushing to Maccas when you can buy Tom Yum Soup full of prawns for a third of the price of a Big Mac 100 metres away.

High quality, stylish teak furniture is not cheaper than IKEA. Not a chance. Unless it commands an extremely high price and is sold with the extremely rich in mind, it is usually put together by people who don't give a rat's about quality. Plus the designs available off the shelf tend to be very disappointing.