Work Contract

Can a foreigner get a long term contract ?

I've been working for a public university for years and they assure me that it's not possible but i know that they haven't done any research.

My problem is that with only a one year contract, i can't get a loan to build a house.

So does anybody know if we are allowed by the law to get a 2, 3 or 5 year contract?

Thanks

never heard of such restriction for employment contract.

Does that mean that, as far as you know, a Farang can get a (let's say) 5 year contract ?

I think the university policy is to sign on every teacher on a long term basis but nobody has ever wondered if it was lawful regardind foreigners. So they took for granted that it was not.

So the american, english, french, japanese and chinese teachers are left by themselves finding out what the law does say about this issue.

Thanks very much Singa-Traz.

(sorry for my broken english, I'm not a native)

I have been going through this with my Lawyer just recently.

I have been sounded out by a multinational about working on contract fo them, basicly forever, but since their quota for foreigners was full, I would have to organise my own work permit.

What I am doing is setting up the Thai Company, and doing all the legitimate things and I get myself - eventually a work permit.

There is no issue about the amount of time you can work for as long as you keep your work permit current and do all that book-keeping and pay the prescribed taxes.

Hope that helps.