Payap University

richard10365

I got the following message from the U.S. Department of Education this evening.

"The Foreign Schools School Participation Team is pleased to inform you that,the Secretary of Education (Secretary) has determined that Payap University (Institution) satisfies the definition of an eligible institution under the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA). Payap University will be listed in the next edition of the Directory of Postsecondary Institutions published by the U.S. Department of Education (Department)."

While Payap can't issue U.S. federal education loans (way too complicated) American studying at Payap, if they are filing a federal tax return (parents can claim their dependents studying at Payap) can now claim education expenses while studying at Payap on their federal tax returns. This also includes claiming programs like the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Also, American's with existing student loans can defer payment on them while they study at Payap.

My apologies as this only applies to Americans studying now or in the future at Payap. However, it might help with Educational expenses for some Americans here in Thailand.

Kudos to one Achaan Mark over at the International Marketing program at Payap for being one of the people who helped get the ball rolling on this issue earlier this year. This is certainly good news for US citizens like myself (I have a child at Payap) who will now be able to take the same IRS college education tax credit as parents whose kids are studying in a US college.

Edited by Johpa

Kudos to one Achaan Mark over at the International Marketing program at Payap for being one of the people who helped get the ball rolling on this issue earlier this year. This is certainly good news for US citizens like myself (I have a child at Payap) who will now be able to take the same IRS college education tax credit as parents whose kids are studying in a US college.

Hi Johpa,

The publication that covers the tax benefits Americans can claim studying at Payap are explained in the following publication.

Tax Benefits for Education

I believe the tax credit for the American Opportunity Credit is up to $2,500. That pretty much cuts Payap's tuition in half for a student in the international program.

wynzlo, I don't think intensive Thai would be covered under this program but you would have to go through the tax pub to find out.

Also, another tax tip, if you have any questions about U.S. taxes or this program ask the IRS office in Beijing. They have always been very prompt in answer all my questions via email.

irs.beijing [at] irs.gov

Edited by Tywais
e-mail de-spammified