'Smart' Dummy Officers To Oversee Bangkok Traffic

webfact

'Smart' dummy officers to oversee Bangkok traffic

Monthien Inthaket

The Nation

30166511-01.jpg

The Metropolitan Police will be installing "intelligent" dummy police officers, nicknamed "Jah Choey" or Sergeant Idly Silent, at 13 locations across Bangkok to keep an eye on trafficlaw violators, a senior police officer said yesterday.

City police deputy chief Phanu Kerdlarppol said the dummy officers would capture images of traffic violators and help real traffic policemen with their job.

"The Jah Choey will be ‘intelligent' as they will be equipped with security and speed cameras to detect motorists who violate the law," he said while thanking the National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA) for funding the production of "Jah Choey" dummies.

Expressing hope that the dummy officers will help cut down on traffic violations and make Bangkok drivers more cautious, he said they would be placed in 13 locations where accidents take place frequently, like intersections, bridges or roads with solid white lines, or where motorists break traffic laws often. The cameras embedded in the dummies will transmit images to traffic police officers' smart phones or tablet computers within a 2 to 5kilometre radius as well as to the Traffic Police Command Centre. The dummies will be more mobile than normal CCTV cameras because they can be moved to other locations.

The data transmitted by the dummies will be checked by the traffic police before they issue tickets to fine the violators, he said, adding that if the project proved to be effective, more dummies would be placed in other locations.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-30

(Un)related topic:

I don't get it..... why the Dummy Cop .. Why not mount the camera on a pole beside the road or somewhere ... why make a Dummy Police and then mount the Camera? Ok if they are planning to conceal the camera then i suppose this news should not have been published... so I am still confused.... But definitely not surprised - Guess why?

Notthenation gets the headlines first.

This item appears to be a deliberate attempt to upstage NotTheNation. Are they trying to capture the traditional market segment reserved for NotThe Nation?

Surely even taking into account TIS, it cannot be a serious article, it must be an attempt at satire........

I don't understand why the Government is paying for Dummy cops to do the jobs of the "Real" cops (I use real cops in the loosest of terms..)

Why no just make the "real Cops" do their jobs as they are paid to do instead of running the nations Extortion rackets, Prostitution, Gambling dens etc...........

OHH wait a minute for a Minute there i forgot this is Thailand...Only need to take one look at who is running the Country to understand why the BIB are the way they are....

I don't get it..... why the Dummy Cop .. Why not mount the camera on a pole beside the road or somewhere ... why make a Dummy Police and then mount the Camera? Ok if they are planning to conceal the camera then i suppose this news should not have been published... so I am still confused.... But definitely not surprised - Guess why?

Because it cost more money!!! :whistling:

biggrin.gif

I wonder how long till the phony cops get stolen?

The som-tam lady, fount of all knowledge on things Thai, assures me that they've already thought of that possibility, and will place dummy security-guards to protect the dummy-policemen ! :rolleyes:

Funny thing is they look much more Professional than the " Real Cops" who are mostly over weight Sloppily uniformed and do more sitting on their ass than "protecting and serving" unless it is 25-30 of the month then you will find them out every day racking up Made up on the spot cash fines...

thai_police.jpg2egh3k6.jpg

They will need to now start making "Smart Dummy" Mia Noi's for the "Smart Dummy" cops in my opinion. If there are no "Smart Dummy" Mia Noi's what will be the "Smart Dummy" cops excuse to "fine" people on the spot???laugh.gif

The dummies will be more mobile than normal CCTV cameras because they can be moved to other locations.

So, when the intelligent dummies hack in to the BiBs bank accounts and start syphoning monies off in to their own private accounts, they can be easily moved to a inactive post.