Leaner And More Efficient Armed Forces Are Needed: Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

Leaner and more efficient armed forces are needed

The Nation

We have far too many generals, suspect procurement demands and an outdated mindset, all of which waste billions in taxpayers' money

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra made a blunder a few days ago when she told reporters that the Cabinet had approved the Navy's plan to buy six secondhand German submarines worth Bt6.9 billion, though in fact the proposal was not part of the agenda at the Cabinet meeting. She told reporters that the submarine purchase had been approved, but more discussion is needed for new helicopters wanted by the Army.

Given today's online media, in which real-time competition cannot wait, Yingluck's comments were soon all over the cyber world. The statement had to be retracted. And so two hours later, deputy government spokesman Chalitrat Chantharubeksa walked through the afternoon rain to the Government House press room to correct the prime minister's statement. He said that the Cabinet had not yet considered the submarine purchase plan.

"The prime minister may have been getting mixed up between the submarines and the helicopters. In fact, she referred to helicopters," the deputy spokesman said, adding that the Army's request to buy eight French-made helicopters had actually been approved by the Cabinet.

It was reported that Yingluck even giggled about the blunder, saying she hoped she didn't get the sailors too excited over the mistake.

The Navy is seeking Cabinet endorsement to buy six secondhand U-206 submarines, preferably before the end of September.

Yingluck's blunder could perhaps be forgiven as an honest mistake. But military modernisation, which costs the taxpayer billions of baht per procurement project, is no laughing matter.

Defence planners, theoretically, do not think in terms of election to election as politicians do, because military modernisation and build-up requires one to think in terms of decades.

It also requires planners to think in terms of challenges and security threats immediately at hand and also potentially in the future. During the Cold War, it was clear-cut as to who was the "enemy". Today, things are less clear. The definition of "enemy" today may not fit in with the old definition that came about as the result of opposing ideology and a resultant arms race. However, one cannot deny the fact that regional countries are all enhancing their military capabilities.

For Thailand, the debate should not be confined as to whether we can even afford these war machines, but how to make our armed forces more efficient within existing and reasonable budget limitations. Everyone is in agreement that the military should be capable and competent. The recent back-to-back crashes of three helicopters illustrate the kind of challenges at hand.

In the past, during the days of the Cold War, our military used one type of helicopter for all purposes. From utility to cargo, to gunship and transportation of men and VIPs, the UH-1 did it all. Today, the challenges are different and more diverse.

We are no longer talking about a traditional military threat, but a wide range of security and operational challenges that include patrols, search and rescue missions, reconnaissance and long-range flights over the ocean, as opposed to the mostly coastal missions of the old days.

It is no secret that we have hundreds of generals, and it does not take a great military strategist like Sun Tzu to tell us that this is absurd. A sizeable portion of the military budget goes to dead-end items like pensions and salaries for high-ranking officers, many of whom have no direct command or any significant responsibility. With its popular electoral mandate, it is time the Yingluck government demanded that the armed forces trim the fat and use the savings to strengthen their capacity.

In real terms, this means downsizing the number of generals and troops and outsourcing whatever can be outsourced to civilians. Our armed forces should be lean and mean, not bloated like a bureaucrat who believes bigger is always better.

Unfortunately, our bloated number of generals can't seem to shake themselves out of their bureaucratic mindset, and our politicians can't think beyond selfish political interest. Sadly, putting efficient national security measures above institutional interest, it seems, will continue to be a hope for the future.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-30

Trimming the military budget will be hard work. No military commander wants to admit his branch of service needs trimming. I know this goes agains't everything Thai, but they really should talk to some other professionals like the Americans, British, Germans, whoever. I personally can't see the Thai's needing submarines. But hey, what do I know?

With its popular electoral mandate, it is time the Yingluck government demanded that the armed forces trim the fat and use the savings to strengthen their capacity.

Bla, bla, bla. No one gets to mess with the military in this fashion in this country. They are gilded, untouchable, unaccountable, and beyond reproach.

One Shinawatra tried it and it partly contributed to get him precisely all the way to Dubai. I somehow don't expect the current Shinawatra to put their hand on the stove again.

Its true that Thailand has one of the highest amount of generals in the world! My friend is one of them, he also jokes about it, when I expressed my awe that he was a general he laughed and said it's not really very special in Thailand, and then preceded to tell me there is a waiting list right now to become a general because they are trying to cut down on them. He said nowadays you have to wait till someone dies to get a post as a general.

Thailand has long since a copy of Napoleon's army. Everybody is a general or a would be general and there are no troops to fight anymore. At least the troops that should fight gave human rights abuser Prayuth the finger when they voted. A leaner army is a must, Thailand could make a great start by imprison each and every officer who have taken part in cow;s or thought about it in the last 10 years.

The Thai Armed Forces - Even one submarine is about as much use as a barber's shop on the steps of the guillotine!

As an English instructor previously, I tried to teach students of mixed ages and abilities. However, the students were very sleepy and often slept in the classroom!In short a Thai teacher's job at a military academy is to "wake up" the students.. The Thai officers sometimes allowed this (sleeping)as it was easier for them. Rahter than learn English etc,they (Thai teachers) preferred the students to undertake mundane physical exercise, sleep from midnight to 6am, then have English classes at 8am.

In keeping with the 2 faced society which Thailand now has, WHETHER THE THAI PEOPLE LIKE IT OR NOT--

I was once told not to send "THE CHILDREN" out of the classroom when they misbehaved.I was told they are future colonels, generals, (and even dictators) of Thailand!!! This was an incredible reply! How could they be children? The youngest pre-cadet being at least 18 or 19!!! I fear that Thailand is too stubborn a nation to evolve, therefore the armed forces will continue to "revolve" literally.

Why is Thailand always on the defensive? Thailand is not the wealthiest and by no means the toughest of nations in SEAsia. I think the purchase of submarines, helicopters, and other highly expensive military equipment is not a priority. Having an effective fighting force IS THE PRIORITY--AND THE CLEAN UP SHOULD START AT THE ACADEMIES.This would be money well spent.

Also, just for the record, it was the Coup led Abhisit government which authorised the purchase of military hardware (possibly in the hope of getting future backing fo a coup). Ironically, the Yingluck will be digging her "own grave"-maybe..??

Following the 1992 coup, Thai military prestige, funding and influence had been on the wane for a decade or more until the first Thaksin administration tried to resurrect it. Thaksin repoliticized the military in an effort to control that branch of power as well. Though he failed in the power grab he had already laid the groundwork for their re-empowerment. I think it higly unlikely that Yingluck will seek to pare the military's power or size. I think it more likely she will try to co-opt it as her brother did with assurances she will not mess with it.

Edited by lannarebirth

Thailand has long since a copy of Napoleon's army. Everybody is a general or a would be general and there are no troops to fight anymore. At least the troops that should fight gave human rights abuser Prayuth the finger when they voted. A leaner army is a must, Thailand could make a great start by imprison each and every officer who have taken part in cow;s or thought about it in the last 10 years.

But the one to create a constitutional monarchy democracy was OK?

Should they also imprison those who conspire to avoid paying billions of baht in tax? Or at least send their case to the Supreme court?

What exactly is a cow;s? :blink:

The thai military fulfills the function of any Banana Republic and that is to parade around the generals in ostentatious displays of "power" and graft all the while pinning medals on each others chests. I don't think Thailand has ever faced a real conflict that ever required them to seriously commit military forces. A few WW2 skirmishes doesn't count especially when it resulted in capitulation. Fighting neighboring Cambodians in dirty sandals and pajamas rice field wars with 1940's technology doesn't really count either.

Australia, with a massive sea border and more advanced systems can't keep 6 subs crewed and at most times half of them are in for repair. What hope would Thailand have with used russian subs built mainly for Artic type conditions. Plenty of Russians who can read the manuals in Pattaya but probably very few who could translate to Thai. As for calls to privatise the military support and logistic systems be very afraid of what you wish for. It was fine in peace time in the UK and Australia but when the shit hit the fan and they went to the Middle East it was haliburton and Serco all the way.

Australia, with a massive sea border and more advanced systems can't keep 6 subs crewed and at most times half of them are in for repair. What hope would Thailand have with used russian subs built mainly for Artic type conditions. Plenty of Russians who can read the manuals in Pattaya but probably very few who could translate to Thai. As for calls to privatise the military support and logistic systems be very afraid of what you wish for. It was fine in peace time in the UK and Australia but when the shit hit the fan and they went to the Middle East it was haliburton and Serco all the way.

German subs built during the Cold War with Russia were built in Russia? :blink: