Clearing Customs In Korea In Route To Cambodia?

amysunglasses

We are flying from the US to Siem Reap on Asiana Airlines. It's all one itinary booked through Asiana, but we have a 1.5 hour layover in Seoul, South Korea on our way to Cambodia. Do we need to clear customs in Seoul on our way to Cambodia?

If so, if you have checked luggage do you first need to pick up your luggage and then clear customs?

The reason I ask is we are a bit concerned about time and don't want to get stuck in Seoul for the night. We are trying to bring everything carry on in backpacks--but I've read on Asiana's site that as economy passengers we're only allowed one item each. We were to each bring a back packs and then have asmall bag with a few things we need handy on the flight. I don't think they will make us check our backpacks as they seem to fit the carryon size rules--but just in case something happens and we have to gate check or something I'm wondering if they will get checked through to our flight or if we'll have to pick them up first and then go wait in line for customs.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find the answer through web searches.

Thanks!

Single airline all the way is no issue, just ensure they check your bags through to destination and they'll be waiting at the far end.

Asiana will likely issue boarding cards for both flights when you check-in so get off the plane in Seoul, check the departures screens for the gate of your next flight and head there. Incheon is a nice modern airport, signage is good so you should have no problems.

EDIT Since you don't seem to be seasoned travellers make yourselves aware of the restrictions on liquids in carry-on bags and store anything you don't absolutely need on the flight in your checked bags.

Avoid having to gate-check your backpacks because they won't get to the final destination and picking them up in Seoul may be hassle, if in doubt check them in, saves the hassle of carrying them too.

Thanks for the info. :) I actually spend way too much time on a plane --so i know all the secuity drills and liquid issues, but my travel is usually within the US on United. Thanks for the info on S. Korea...we haven't been to Asia yet so it's a whole new world in many ways. :) super excited about the trip and reading these forums have been very helpful in our planning.

The reason i ask is because when flying from Europe to the into US (and not going straight to my final destination us city) I have had to pick up bags before then clear customs and then re-check them in. However, my last trip to Europe was at 3 years ago, so I didn't know if I was remembering correctly. And coming from mexico we've been non-stop to our destinatoin i had no comparison there. I thought the custom clearing/bag pick might be a US only thing..but i wasn't sure. Also, I'm used to US based arlines carry on rules and i know the packs we have are definately suitabale--but asianas rules are a bit different. I do'nt want to get to the gate and be told it's too big. I doubt that will happen...but I haven't flown them before.

I've poked around a bit more and see some people post that asiana does allow one bag and personal item, like a coat. I'm assuming a small purse/little bag and a backpack per person would be fine on this airline just like on the others i fly. . I guess i'll check at the airport just to be safe. i don't want to have to pick up bags and re-check in.

Since you've been to Seoul before do you know if there's a place to store luggage there? Or is that airport subjected to the same sort of september 11 rules we have and there's no way to store stuff? We have a 12 hour layover on our way back from BKK and want to check out Seoul--but not carry our bags. We'll be checking a bag or 2 on the way back but might have a backpack wiht us too on the way back.

Edited by amysunglasses

every flight i have ever made in past 10 years n states/Asia/Europe, i carry one laptop and one carry on bag which has a small day pack inside it with my camera equipment,

Then it depends on where i am going if i have a check in ( usually not ) or so.

Yes there are two places at the airport to store luggage but its not cheap

Last time did the Phuket-Seoul-sf route on Asiana i spent a night in Seoul rather than the 8 hour layover

Seoul

Edited by phuketrichard

Incheon is a nice modern airport, signage is good so you should have no problems.

Crossy has understated this. Incheon is a fantastic airport, in my estimation, one of the best in the world for transit. There's a huge multi-wing transit area where you can eat, sleep, relax and get yourself to the gate for your next flight. Lots of great and easy signage. It's so easy to get around, and no need to go through Korean customs and immigration at all, even spend many hours at Incheon.

Let Asiana handle the baggage and you can just enjoy the transit there! rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...