Philippine Emigration Problems

I am hearing an increasing number of problems related to the Philippine airport emigration not permitting its citizens from leaving the Philippines. This apparently stems from several Pinays arrested in Japan for prostitution. In the past it has been a hassle, but now it seems no one is getting out without the third degree.

What is the formula now to have a friend, wife or GF come and visit you in Thailand. What have you done to ensure that they get past the airport gauntlet?

Have you heard similar reports?

Can you enlighten us a bit more on this ? Why would a country care if its citizens want to leave, whether to work, for a vacation, or for some other reason? (with the obvious exception of fleeing criminals !)

I have been to the Philippines several times within the last few years. While being a non-Filipino myself, I have never noticed any efforts, in any of the Philippine airports I have used, to question/hinder/prevent anyone who appeared to be Filipino from leaving.

Can you enlighten us a bit more on this ? Why would a country care if its citizens want to leave, whether to work, for a vacation, or for some other reason? (with the obvious exception of fleeing criminals !)

I have been to the Philippines several times within the last few years. While being a non-Filipino myself, I have never noticed any efforts, in any of the Philippine airports I have used, to question/hinder/prevent anyone who appeared to be Filipino from leaving.

This is very common now. As to why they do it. Who knows? It seems that they would rather keep them in the Philippines, poor and unemployed, then to have them working overseas and sending large amounts of their salary back home to be spent in the local economy. It defies any rational explanation. I know of someone who wasn't allowed to leave twice in the space of a few weeks. No refund; no right of appeal; nothing. Even when they have a return ticket. Which they invariably do. My wife is a Filipino working in Thailand and luckily will have a re entry visa to return to Thailand. Those without a re entry permit wouldn't risk a trip home for fear of not being allowed to leave.

The standard means of being allowed to leave is to have a letter from a Filipino relative in the country you wish to travel to who supplies you with a letter of invitation on a letter head from their place of employment. They are even refusing that now.

Edited by Logarhythm

I agree this is quite common and has been for several years. If you want to have your Filippa girl friend come over for a visit you will need to supply her with a letter stating purpose of the visit, duration and state that you will be financially responsible for her, she;ll need the same letter for Thai Immigration purposes. The only reason I know the above is because a good friend from the US was my near neighbor in Phuket and he went through the process with his Filipino friend when she came over for vacation.

As for why they do this: it seems to be a mixture of trying to ensure the safety of their citizens and a quality and tracking process - Filipino bands used abound and were found almost everywhere in the world, the government then cracked down and said that musical groups needed a government permit before they could travel AND, they had to audition first and demonstrate their musical skills, it was said at the time that this was to ensure they were up to scratch musically but it can be guessed that it was to ensure they were not using it simply as a ruse to get out of the country..

Interesting, but not related to Visas and migration to other countries than Thailand. For example postings about Thais going abroad or how farangs or Thais can enter other Asian or western countries.

If you want specific information on obtaining a Thai visa for someone from the Philippines then a post in Thai visas, residency and work permits may help.

If you want general information on how to get a Philippine national out of the Philippines then a Philippine board similar to this may help.