Decent Milk

james24

I, too, buy the same brands of cow's milk other posters have said they buy that are free of any sugar added. It is only the soy milk that I have found with sugar (well, other than sweetened condensed canned milk).

"The average freezing point of cow milk is -0.547C"

I have a fridge that I keep cold but nowhere near that cold and all the brands freeze apart from Meiji. Seems to suggest some dilution going on.

Where does this happen in the refrigerator? Only one shelf, e.g., top shelf only, or anywhere?

I had a similar problem that I really only notice with some liquids that I very cleverly diagnosed (after a couple of years) as happening to the items that I set next to the vent from the freezer into the refrigerator (a side by side one) on the top shelf. So there I was, getting freezer temp air (or close to it?) blowing on the foods. They did not actually freeze, but were close to freezing.

Never happened on the next shelf down or lower.

I have not looked up the freezing point of milk, but if the average is indeed only a little over .5C less than water, it would not be possible under these unscientific conditions to draw any conclusions from this evidence. You may be correct, but even a 10% dilution might not make enough difference to be measurable other than in a lab. Best to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foremost is the only one however that isn't reconstituted from powder.

How do you know that?

That is what a Dutch Mills rep told me about 4-5 years ago.

And two of my ex employees originally came to Thailand to work in the "dairy" industry here. It is 100% confirmed that most if not all of the commercial milk brands is made from imported reconstituted milk powder.

In the absence of obvious and abundant dairy cow herds roaming the Thai countryside how else would you account for all the "milk" in the supermarkets?

[

And two of my ex employees originally came to Thailand to work in the "dairy" industry here. It is 100% confirmed that most if not all of the commercial milk brands is made from imported reconstituted milk powder.

In the absence of obvious and abundant dairy cow herds roaming the Thai countryside how else would you account for all the "milk" in the supermarkets?

There are a couple of dairies southeast of the city, close to the superhighway near Saraphi. See the milk being delivered in milk churns & small tankers that collect from the cows out San Kamphaeng way. Seen at least one Friesian herd that way. Obviously not enough to supply Thailand. One of the dairies produces cartons with "Gold" label.

That's right - there are a few around San Kampaeng,Saraphi and Mae Hia but as we agree not enough to supply the demand across the country.

Those who need to drink cows milk will be drinking powdered milk in the main.

Best left for calves in my opinion anyway.

We have been buying milk for our daughter from a small-batch dairy farm on Canal rd., it is 15B per. Litre and is steaming hot when we pick it up in plastic bags,we quickly transfer the milk into a glass container and refrigerate. Taste is fine (non-sweet).

Where is that located on the Canal Road, roughly?

We have been buying milk for our daughter from a small-batch dairy farm on Canal Rd., 15b per. kg. and steaming hot in a plastic bag when we pick it up in the afternoon. I quickly transfer the milk to a glass vessel and then refrigerate.

The taste is fine (non-sweet) and most likely a much healthier product than the commercial varieties.

Turn right at the 3-way (coming from Big C) onto Canal Rd. and look for it on the left-side within a short distance .

Open after 12noon until around 4-5pm ,depending when they sell out.

That would be the University Of Chiang Mai Agricutural study center outlet store. My wife buys milk eggs and beef from there. She mixes the freshly pasturized milk with Foremost to cut the fat content. As you say it's very good.

We have been buying milk for our daughter from a small-batch dairy farm on Canal rd., it is 15B per. Litre and is steaming hot when we pick it up in plastic bags,we quickly transfer the milk into a glass container and refrigerate. Taste is fine (non-sweet).

Where is that located on the Canal Road, roughly?

CMU ag farm next to the ostriches.

Only the sweetened milk has sugar - just like anywhere else. Art Cafe sells goat milk if you want to order it in advance.

Thanks everyone

Really? Im guessing its expensive though.

Dutch milk, foremost etc all laced with sugar ad sweetners. Can you not taste it? Plus the milk is like water.

We have been buying milk for our daughter from a small-batch dairy farm on Canal Rd., 15b per. kg. and steaming hot in a plastic bag when we pick it up in the afternoon. I quickly transfer the milk to a glass vessel and then refrigerate.

The taste is fine (non-sweet) and most likely a much healthier product than the commercial varieties.

Turn right at the 3-way (coming from Big C) onto Canal Rd. and look for it on the left-side within a short distance .

I live near 700 year stadium which is on canal road but cant place the big c. Can you tell me if the farm is the uni end or 700 year end...?

Dacheeso's whole milk is excellent. As good as any pasteurized milk I've ever had. It is also unhomogenized. Meiji in the roughly 850 ml plastic bottles is also really good.

Actually, I think thai milk and cream, at least the non UHF kind is superior to most milk in America. Here they still do low temperature pasteurization, so the milk can taste just like raw milk. And the cream whips beautifully. Dacheeso cream is as good as I've had anywhere in Europe. Remarkable stuff.

The milk in boxes is okay, but doesn't have that special dairy flavor that raw milk and low temperature pasteurized milk do.

Wow! That assessment is in total opposition to my experience of most dairy products here. And as far as Meiji goes, :bah: .

I concur. Their dairy products are quite poor and tasteless IMHO. Their cheese is really not edible.

There are basically 3 classes of Dacheeso products. Their fresh milk products which include milk, cream, cottage cheese, lactobacillus products like yogurt and buttermilk, and aged cheeses. The first 2 are excellent. The aged cheeses are mostly very lightly aged and bland. I suspect they are tailored for Thai consumers who mostly feel about well aged cheese the way most farangs feel about shrimp paste or Pla Ra.

You and UG are both correct. I do like their yoghurt and buttermilk. But the aged cheeses...well...

The aged cheeses are mostly very lightly aged and bland. I suspect they are tailored for Thai consumers who mostly feel about well aged cheese the way most farangs feel about shrimp paste or Pla Ra.

^^ only too true. The wife loves all sorts of really smelly foods, from dried squids to shrimp paste, etc etc - but if I have a proper imported cheese, she likes to leave the room. Makes her sick. It all depends what you're used to :D

Interesting thread, thanks for all the info. Didn't know that about Foremost - if true, a reason to buy it over Meiji/Dutch Mill.

Just want to add we buy organic milk from Rim Ping. It's smallish square boxes, and a bit expensive. We use it for the kids. Personally I don't like it because of the box - somehow they have managed to design a milk container that is very hard to pour from without spilling?!

I live near 700 year stadium which is on canal road but cant place the big c. Can you tell me if the farm is the uni end or 700 year end...?

It's at the Mae Hia end, just past the Veterinary College.

Sorry Im really bad with directions. If I was coming down the canal road from 700 year stadium is it before or in between dunkin donuts on the corner?

By the way soya is the worst choice, full of phytoestrogens. Goat is best followed by cows.

Just by chance does this farm sell goats milk too??

Edited by james24

Sorry Im really bad with directions. If I was coming down the canal road from 700 year stadium is it before or in between dunkin donuts on the corner?

By the way soya is the worst choice, full of phytoestrogens. Goat is best followed by cows.

Just by chance does this farm sell goats milk too??

It's about 10 km's past Dunkin Donuts, on the right.

Just avoid cows' milk as it is unhealthy stuff (especially for O blood group peeps). Stick to Soya or Goat,

They say that too much soy causes man boobs.

lose-the-man-boobs-box.jpg

After MB's then it's common to ask questions like "How does my butt look in these jeans"? and "Do I look fat"?

It's baby steps on the long journey to the Metro Sexual or even Lady Boy.

Fermenting the soy before consumption decreases the estrogen like compounds and also the phytic acid which prevents the absorption of significant dietary nutrients.

Ahh ok so basically just keep going forward from 700 year, drive past dunkin for another 10k and itll be on the right somewhere near the Vet college

Thanks alot :-)

Ahh ok so basically just keep going forward from 700 year, drive past dunkin for another 10k and itll be on the right somewhere near the Vet college

Thanks alot :-)

If you get to the second rind south ring road (the one that goes to Big C and Global House) you've passed the place and it's 1/2 of a km back.

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than a new topic will tack onto this topic. Was at BigC on Hang Dong road Friday for some supplies which included Foremost low fat (not 0% which tastes like flavored water) only to find the shelves packed full of Meiji milk and Meiji products. Not a Foremost product in sight. Wonder if they signed an exclusive contract with Meiji? Any other supermarkets the same?