Is It Easy To Get From Udon- Laos

spoon1967

Hi All

I will be up in Loei city in November, I will be spending 5 days in Udon before heading down to BKK and Pattaya.

Has anyone got any info on how easy it is to get to Laos from Udon and where the border crossings are situated, do I need a visa? and can I take a hire car across or is there alternative transport at the borders?

regards

You can get the bus,train or taxi from Udon to Nong Khai which is 50 kilometres from Udon.

Note that if you get the bus or train then you will need to get a saamlaw from the bus or train station at Nong Khai to the Friendship Bridge (Thai-Laos border)........taxi will take you direct but a lot more expensive.

Exit Thai Immigration,get the bus across Friendship Bridge (20 baht) to Laos Immigration......get a Visa on Arrival for Laos (30 days,about 1500 baht)......get stamped in by Laos Immigration then exit.

Plenty of transport options waiting to take you to Vientiane.....if that is where you are headed.

If you have US dollars use them when you get your visa as depending on what country you are from will pay either $30 or $35 which is 900 - 1050 baht instead of 1,500 baht they usually ask for. (I have paid 900 baht before but it all depends on what mood they are in.)

Have fun!

Done this several times in my own car to friendship bridge. I transit through to my work in Vietnam.

Taxi from Udon to friendship bridge maybe 1000bht. Takes about 45 minutes.

Don't worry about touts as you enter Thai immigration.

Checkout of Thailand 20bht bus across river 2 km. Arrive Laos immigration, get form window 1. Pay $30 or $35 for some countries. Dollars or baht okay.

If you don't have a passport pic, no probs. $1 extra.

Go through catch taxi into Vientienne. 400/500bht takes about 45minutes.

Duty free market at border is quiet good.

Laos has excellent quality copy goods. Not sure about border, but downtown Vientienne on the river there are a couple of shops and the quality was the best I've seen.

Mate I'm not sure. But I see Thai registered cars everywhere in Laos and I've also seen the odd one in Vietnam. I am in Hue, central Vietnam.

I can't see why there'd be an issue if you own the car, which I do.

I think it maybe something to do with insurance, The insurance you get when you buy a new car is void outside Thailand, I think.

I believe the roads are challenging. Most not sealed. For example, there's a bus service from Hue to Vientienne which takes approx 24 hours. I think it's only about 400/500kms. Maybe a sign of how bad roads are. Because bus drivers in Vietnam are just as wired and dangerous as Thailand.

I must also say is that driving in Thailand is a dream compared to Vietnam. When I read threads complaining about bad driving in Thailand. I smile and think that if they think this is bad. Come to Vietnam.

If you have US dollars use them when you get your visa as depending on what country you are from will pay either $30 or $35 which is 900 - 1050 baht instead of 1,500 baht they usually ask for. (I have paid 900 baht before but it all depends on what mood they are in.)

Have fun!

I've seen the same going from Ubon through Chong Mek to Pakse. US dollars are better or you get a very bad exchange rate. I paid 1,500 baht as a Brit but I think it's the same for everyone although the US$ amounts differ depending on nationality. At Chong Mek it's a bit chaotic especially if you don't speak Thai or have a Thai speaker with you. You also have to go to another window and pay 100 baht to get your passport back. It's probably less confusing after the first time.

I go through Chong Mek quite often and it is indeed a shamozzle and a rort. At Chong Mek I have paid 800 baht, 1000 baht, 1,200 baht and 1,500 baht all on different occasions! That second window trick is a joke. You should never pay more then 40 baht although having said that one time I got it for free!

Happyaussie, thanks for your reply.

I have done half a dozen trips in Laos with my own car from Thailand over the last few years. I have no problem getting it in and out of Thailand and there is always a steady stream of cars doing the same. it is the getting it into Vietnam that I have been told is the problem. It is compulsory to purchase Laos insurance when you cross the border (about 200 baht) and I would have assumed something similar would be the case at the Vietnamese border but like I said - I have always hit a brick wall when enquiring about it.

I have a farm up near Lax Sao which is only 30kms from the border with Vietnam which I drive to at least once a year and it has been a dream of mine for a while to bring the family with me from Thailand and push on through to Vietnam and sit on the beach for a week before returning home.

will you be going through khon kaen on your way? if so why not get your visa there, in and out in ten minutes. i went accross friendship bridge a few years ago and the visa proccess took forever,

it was high season.yhough.

loas consulate, khon kaen,- 043242857

Happyaussie, thanks for your reply.

I have done half a dozen trips in Laos with my own car from Thailand over the last few years. I have no problem getting it in and out of Thailand and there is always a steady stream of cars doing the same. it is the getting it into Vietnam that I have been told is the problem. It is compulsory to purchase Laos insurance when you cross the border (about 200 baht) and I would have assumed something similar would be the case at the Vietnamese border but like I said - I have always hit a brick wall when enquiring about it.

I have a farm up near Lax Sao which is only 30kms from the border with Vietnam which I drive to at least once a year and it has been a dream of mine for a while to bring the family with me from Thailand and push on through to Vietnam and sit on the beach for a week before returning home.

There are a lot of Thai cars, trucks & some buses going from NKP to Tahkek & on to Vietnam. I've never asked about any difficulties but they go regularly.

Really my friend and I? I know that trucks and buses go but are you sure private cars as well? Would be interested in any more information.

Thanks also for the info on the date of the bridge opening. It is great news and I might check it out this December.

last time I went to laos, I organised to hire a private tour for the day, with the 3 of us I think it cost 1500 baht,

they organised the passport photos and all that, and escourted us through the process of getting through customs and all that at the other side,

that said, I was a bit oblivious to all the arrangements as had the missus with me and she did all the talking and arranging, but it certainly made it convenient - to be fair it was my first time crossing a border by land haha.

but that said, a private tour was really convenient and a good way to get a look at the sights around Vientiane before getting dropped at the hotel.

if I was heading back I'd do it that way, just my 10c

• 2 weeks later...

And your 10c is much appreciated JJ

:)

last time I went to laos, I organised to hire a private tour for the day, with the 3 of us I think it cost 1500 baht,

they organised the passport photos and all that, and escourted us through the process of getting through customs and all that at the other side,

that said, I was a bit oblivious to all the arrangements as had the missus with me and she did all the talking and arranging, but it certainly made it convenient - to be fair it was my first time crossing a border by land haha.

but that said, a private tour was really convenient and a good way to get a look at the sights around Vientiane before getting dropped at the hotel.

if I was heading back I'd do it that way, just my 10c

• 3 weeks later...

will you be going through khon kaen on your way? if so why not get your visa there, in and out in ten minutes. i went accross friendship bridge a few years ago and the visa proccess took forever,

If you get your visa in advance, you can get a bus from Khon Kaen or Udon that takes you straight to vientiane (Morning Market). Very easy, about 80 Baht from Udon, last time I took it. They check that you have the visa before giving you the ticket. No visa, no ticket. Only disadvantage is that they don't take advance bookings, you have to turn up and get the ticket on the day. I have never had any problems though.

Don't forget if you are on a Tourist Visa you will only get a 15 day Visa on your return to Thailand. If you are on a Non- O with a multiple entry permit you will get 90 days.

I think that you are totally wrong there. If you have a tourist visa, you will get 30 days.

With no visa, you will get 15 days

If you get your visa in advance, you can get a bus from Khon Kaen or Udon that takes you straight to vientiane (Morning Market). Very easy, about 80 Baht from Udon, last time I took it. They check that you have the visa before giving you the ticket. No visa, no ticket. Only disadvantage is that they don't take advance bookings, you have to turn up and get the ticket on the day. I have never had any problems though.

Have to laugh at the various Visa fees : HERE

That sound like a good idea, I think that'll be my plan, cheap bus ride and sounds like no hassle,

I take it it's easy to get a visa in Udon?

Hi spoon,

Note that I posted following from a post by jerrybeirne.

As far as I know, the only place nearby that you can get a visa in advance for Laos is in Khon Kaen.

If you were going to visit Khon Kaen, then this would be great for you, but Khon Kaen is about 120 Km from Udon, so may not be ideal from you. Khon Kaen is South of Udon, Laos is North. You will certainly travel through KK on your way to Udon.

Always check the Laos consulate website tho. They are not open on Thai AND Laos public holidays and there are a lot of holidays.

-Spoon1967-

No reason to get a Visa in advance for Laos, just come to the border, Friendship bridge near Nong Khai and make yor Visa there, you do not need help from anybody.

Easy, bring 35 Dollar makes it a bit cheaper than with Baht and a foto.

At the Thaiside you use Immigration, than you buy a ticket for the short Bustrip over the bridge, in Laos you wnent to the Immigration window ask for your papers to write and get your Passport back in short time.

Check the Passport, your entrystamp for Laos should be now already in the Passport, no need to wait in line again, you can pass by the Immigration boxes and proceed passing by the boxes!rolleyes.gif

Than a lot of Taxis and Tuk Tuks waiting for you to bring you to Vientiane. Bargain!

To Laos you can only drive with a Thai car if you have the Green book, ownership and the owner is present.

Thais can cross to Laos without Passport and a Day Pass, I think only for one day? Must get that papers before going to the border at the big entry road to Nong Khai

with ID card and/or housepapers.

If you go out of Thailand you loose your last Visa or entry stamp to Thailand, so take care which possibilitys you have to come back to TH before you go to Vientiane.