Payment Of Foreign Invoice From Thai Personal Bank Account

Hi,

I found it rather hard to send funds from my (personal) Thai bank account to my accounts abroad. i learned to live with it.

Now however I need to pay a foreign company (Hong Kong) for services. I do have an invoice for that in my name.

Is it as easy as walking into my local SCB branch and asking them to transfer that money abroad using the invoice?

I guess the invoice should not only have my name, but also my address as known with SCB, right?

Thanks for your advice

I've found that, like most things in Thailand, the rules and procedures vary from bank to bank and even branch to branch. Small amounts (e.g. 6 figure baht sums, not 7 figure) are usually no problem. For larger amounts, Thai banks often ask me for evidence that the money I am transferring out of Thailand is salary from authorised employment. When I've asked why they need this, I've always been told "Bank of Thailand regulations for foreigners", but in 6 years of trying, I've never found the BoT regulations that place limits specifically on foreigners.

Edited by KamnanT

Banks don't like you sending money out of Thailand without an explantaion of why?

I once sent about 100K back to UK by swift and it was quite an ordeal, what is the reason? Where did the money come from etc.. I got it done eventually.

I have sent a International Bankers Draft to Hong Kong to pay for a new passport and that was easy, and made out in Kong Kong Dollars.

I've found that, like most things in Thailand, the rules and procedures vary from bank to bank and even branch to branch. Small amounts (e.g. 6 figure baht sums, not 7 figure) are usually no problem. For larger amounts, Thai banks often ask me for evidence that the money I am transferring out of Thailand is salary from authorised employment. When I've asked why they need this, I've always been told "Bank of Thailand regulations for foreigners", but in 6 years of trying, I've never found the BoT regulations that place limits specifically on foreigners.

This reference from the Bank of Thailand describes what residents and non residents can and cannot do with regard to foreign currency. The latest limit for undocumented transfers is USD 50k.

http://www.bot.or.th/English/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/ExchangeControlLaw.aspx

I have sent a International Bankers Draft to Hong Kong to pay for a new passport and that was easy, and made out in Kong Kong Dollars.

How did you do this?

Hi,

I'm with Kasikorn and I went to my Branch and they sent me to the Pattaya Main Branch, where I had to see the people in the International department upstairs.

Because it was a common passport application, they were very familiar with the process, I sent it as 2000 HKD and not the Baht equivalent.

I suppose you can just as easily send the same to almost anyone and I don't think you actually need an account with the bank, but have your passport handy for ID.

I'm with Kasikorn... was told by the staff there just to keep each transfer below 500,000 baht... did that multiple times & had no problems.

Did you do these "below 500,000 baht" transfers" on the same day, or among multiple days?

To stop things getting flagged in a system, keep them below US$ 10,000 per transaction