Gps

lapoon

If you get a hand held with the various options, such as AC/DC adaptor and stands and such, you won't be tied to just one place to use it. I have a Garmin hand held that I take on train trips, boat trips and even when walking around Chiang Mai. You still have to get the maps for Thailand to put in it, unless they have changed the way they do it now. Good luck....PP

I went to look at them in Chiang Mai, and almost purchased one until I went on to a couple of North American websites and looked at the specifications in English, and then looked at the prices. Here in Thailand they are roughly two and a half times the price even with the sale prices here. Luckily I have a friend arriving from back home who is bringing me one this coming week.

Thanks fellas, I have looked on net at Eagle in CM and seems a good spot.

I particularly want one with the lane indicators for the very few times I go to Bangkok.

I have had maps from Rotweiler on net, in Chiangmai http://rotweilermaps.com/ for a few years and they are good but

they were on a laptop with Garmin software that they dont service anymore. so when I had a prob with Laptop I lost the software !!!!!!!

Over the last 5 years, I have bought 4 GPS's from Morris at eaglegps.co.th/ in Chiang Mai.

No hassle with anything, and good products. I love the gps for exploring the North :)

Never any problem with getting good maps.

Edited by LJW

I went to look at them in Chiang Mai, and almost purchased one until I went on to a couple of North American websites and looked at the specifications in English, and then looked at the prices. Here in Thailand they are roughly two and a half times the price even with the sale prices here. Luckily I have a friend arriving from back home who is bringing me one this coming week.

You got that right!!! I would NEVER buy a GPS in this country!!! I got both of my Garmins from the US and then picked up pirated maps here for Thailand.

Buy legitimate here and you get completely screwed; buy pirated, and you have a deal. Go figure.

If you plan on using it in a car I've been informed that getting decent map software for it may be more difficult than finding the GPS.

Be interested to hear anyone else's opinion on this.

There are a lot of people selling the maps that come with the ridiculously expensive GPS units sold in Thailand. And the are unlocked, too.

You got that right!!! I would NEVER buy a GPS in this country!!! I got both of my Garmins from the US and then picked up pirated maps here for Thailand.

Buy legitimate here and you get completely screwed; buy pirated, and you have a deal. Go figure.

If you plan on using it in a car I've been informed that getting decent map software for it may be more difficult than finding the GPS.

There are a lot of people selling the maps that come with the ridiculously expensive GPS units sold in Thailand. And the are unlocked, too.

I agree 100%, they try to rape you on prices over here. If they weren't so bloody greedy and used the BS huge import tax excuse, then I would buy here. I bought my TomTom in Germany, though it was for my SUV. The Thai map is good enough, but I just wish that the Go LIve feature was supported in Asia. GO Live is an excellent system in Europe.

Well I went to Central, they had a couple there a bit pricey.

Went out to Macro they had a few no name GPS's

Looked again at Eagle on the net.

Two things, the GPS's available in Thailand are old models and or discontinued.

Its a bit hard to compare with overseas ones on apples to apples base but I

think I am going to buy from Aus with genuine maps loaded for less than half price

and a current supported model.

• 2 weeks later...

Little over a year ago, I bought a GPS at the book store at BigC. Was pricey, but has a translation program from english to thai and back. Also includes medial translations, science and building materials. Really good mapping with it and have used it way back country where even the small dirt roads between rice fields were there. The graphics are basic but in colour and is somewhat better then the tomtom I use in canada.

Well since I started it.............

I took advice from you all, scribbled lots of notes,

Then I bought a Nuvi 1450 from Australia, it has Nth America and Canada maps and also the

Garmin Thailand maps installed, it cost me 6200Baht posted, everything legit.

I worried a bit about customs but didnt get any request for more money from them.

The disadvantage of this is that a GPS from O/S wont have junction view, the Thai language and a few other features.

The over riding feature I wanted was Lane assist which it has.

I can not compare Apples to Apples when looking at the available units here and O/S but the cost here is just too high.

I believe the units here are discontinued models which is a problem to me as I have had problems with Garmin software before.

This is a problem to me as I have spent most of my life in rural or isolated places and I believe I should support the local dealer-

otherwise he wont be there when you are looking for him but a superseded model at inflated cost lost out.

Do it again ???? probably buy the cheapest unit here for about 3900Baht, smaller screen no lane assist.

By the way there is also some good advice on Thaivisa GPS forum.

I bought an TELE System unit from Big C. It meets all my needs and works very well. I use it to get around the area, works very well in Chiang Mai, you can never get lost with it. The features are outstanding and voice commands very accurate. I like the miles to go, time that arrive at destination, along with kilometers to go feature. It provides restaurants near by and tags all gas stations along the way. Map color outstanding and changes to night colors when sun goes down.

I used it to drive from Chiang Rai to Hua Hin and Phuket and Pattaya by my myself. It took me through Bangkok with no problems and is a must for me in Thailand now. I also used it to navigate around Bangkok. Makes driving safer due to the heads up information and verbal cues as you drive to your destination. It has some flaws when traveling in rural area, but it will always let you know where you are. It took me to Fang, through the mountains, once I got out of Chiang Rai area. Just got back from Chiang Mai, I make frequent trips there and it was great.

Good Day

When someone asked me a while ago about GPS and which receiver to buy I did suggest that they investigate what maps were available and make their choice of manufacturer based on that. There are one or two makes in there but I guess Garmin comes out on top. There is the Garmin map for Thailand. There is also the locally produced map for Thailand from Rotweiler which, although not quite so comprehensive as the Garmin one does offer quite a lot for the money. I believe it is 50 USD now for various S.E. Asian countries, with easy updates to your computer. There are also topo maps available and northern Thailand roads and tracks are available also from a local producer. The prices here for receivers can be high but if you wish to import, Mr. Amazon makes things quite easy (.com site is a lot cheaper than the .uk site on many items) with import duties notified on the site so you know exactly what you are paying. There is also one website where you can find just about any map produced for Garmin recievers for immediate free download.

Edited by Dellboy218

I use my Nokia N95 mobile phone. It has GPS and I have bought a little extra GPS receiver that I put inside the car window that is comunicating by bluetooth.

I also pay 495 baht per year to get voice command when driving from one place to another. It works fine and I always have my GPS with me as long as I have not forgot my phone.

The maps are fantastic, every little soi is there. I download the maps from Nokia for free and I can download maps from all over the world.

:DB):D

Did you install it yourself?

It is portable, has mount that attaches to windscreen and cigarette lighter power cord. The maps of Thailand are already loaded in device. Going to use it to travel to Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) tomorrow. This GPS has taken me all over Thailand with great accuracy. Since I travel alone, it meets my needs first hand. It is a must have when traveling around in big cities. Do not have time to play with maps and watch the motorbikes and cars, you know what I mean.

I use my Nokia N95 mobile phone. It has GPS and I have bought a little extra GPS receiver that I put inside the car window that is comunicating by bluetooth.

I also pay 495 baht per year to get voice command when driving from one place to another. It works fine and I always have my GPS with me as long as I have not forgot my phone.

The maps are fantastic, every little soi is there. I download the maps from Nokia for free and I can download maps from all over the world.

Is the 495 Bt voice command only for Nokia or would it work for my Samsung?B)

I don't know, check with Samsung. They might use same system!?

The product name is "Drive Southeast Asia". In my GPS and I choose a place to go to and click on "Drive to" then I got the alternative to get voice-command. First I got one week test for free and then I ordered one year for 495 bath and now this week I renewed it for another year. I can choose any language and also if I want a male or a female voice. I choose to take nearest road (can be dirtroads) or fastest road, if I want to take tunnels, ferrys etc.

:);):)

I don't know, check with Samsung. They might use same system!?

The product name is "Drive Southeast Asia". In my GPS and I choose a place to go to and click on "Drive to" then I got the alternative to get voice-command. First I got one week test for free and then I ordered one year for 495 bath and now this week I renewed it for another year. I can choose any language and also if I want a male or a female voice. I choose to take nearest road (can be dirtroads) or fastest road, if I want to take tunnels, ferrys etc.

:);):)

You can put Route 66 on a Samsung, put it on my Jet for free

• 3 weeks later...