Where To Go After Bangkok?

laomei

So, here's the lay of the land (and I'm only posting because everytime I think I find the right place, it ends up turning magically to not-the-right-place the more I read)

We are coming in via Bangkok for Chinese National Day from the 2nd of October and leaving via Phuket on the 12th. Booked in a nice apartment (thanks for all the links in finding that!) and then after the 5th have no idea where to go.

We don't really care much about seeing stuff, we just want to eat cheap food, relax on the beach, and not be stuck in a rat/roach-infested hotel. No desire for nightlife, no desire for scams and ladyboys. Have been looking at Koh Lanta and Ao Nung. Originally thought of just going to Phuket, but it seems to be more hassle and full of tourists and the scams that go along with the scene. Any suggestions (beaches, hotels)? We were thinking of a day of Phi Phi and a day trip to Phuket before hitting the airport on the way back.

Budget is around 1600ish a night, the cheaper the better obviously.

From personal experience i can highly recommend Prachuap Khiri Khan,relatively few foriegn tourist's exceptional beaches and very inexpensive seafood,Ao Manao beach is superb and very user friendly with tables and umbrellas that one can use all day with table service for a small charge,the nightlife is limited but there are a few nice restaurant's along the main road and a few hotels that will suit the budget easily,i can not comment on the current weather or travelling conditions near or around here but would imagine that things should be ok.

Edited by stoneyboy

October is the rainy season, which I assume does not matter too much, when you are on honeymoon. Anyway the rain is mostly only one hour per day.

Phuket is a large Island, and except for the Taxi Mafia, you will find many beaches that meets your requirements. Even Patong has it´s quiet areas without any nightlife, but the beach there is not nice. Places like Khao Lak and Koh Lanta are almost deserted this time of the year, while Ao Nang beach in Krabi would be a good choice and have lots of nice affordable resorts. You can easily take a taxi from Krabi to Phuket when you are heading home.

Enjoy!

Thung Wa Laen beach in Chumpon or Khanom in Nakhon si thammarat.

This appears to be that perfect place I was looking for! Chumpon seems to be the winner. Cheap, Bungalows on the beach, not so much western food, etc, etc. And not a huge hassle to get to Phuket for the trek home. Thanks!

woohoo, in bangkok, and this "theriversidebangkok" is basically the best deal i have seen. more per night than the cheapest, but it's riverside, free ferries, great location, etc. etc. Simply tha best and the stay is rather flexible. Now, of course, we are spoiled for everywhere else :(

This appears to be that perfect place I was looking for! Chumpon seems to be the winner. Cheap, Bungalows on the beach, not so much western food, etc, etc. And not a huge hassle to get to Phuket for the trek home. Thanks!

Mind the sandflies in Chumphon, they are no joke.

I don't know who you are... or where you came from, but damnit, this was the best advice I have gotten in a long long time. Thung Wua Laen is amazing

You have already spent time at a beach so why go to another? After Phuket .....

plus its rainy season.

Fly from phuket to Chaing mai, spend a few days than take the bus to Mae Hong Son, stay a few days ( its great there) then head down to Mae sot and take a trip up to Kanchanaburi than back to Bangkok!!!

If u really only want stay at the beach Koh Lanta is nice ( same weather as Phuket), cheap,( nice air con bungalows 600-1,000 baht/night on the beach) great food and empty now during the low season.

Having lived in Chumphon for a few years and spent a lot of time at the said beach I can honestly say I have never seen the said fly you are warning about ?

And Poorsucker isn't Khanom in the Surat Thani province and not NST ?

It's in northern NST, the border is between Donsak and Khanom.

200px-Amphoe_Nakhon_Si_Thammarat.png

15, Khanom