Sticky Rice Making Paraphanalia In Uk

Richb2004v2

We relocated to the Uk a couple of months ago. We brought a lot of useful things with us and have found almost everything else is available here. However we forgot to bring the metal pot and wicker hat thing for making sticky rice. I'm sure it must be available somewhere I'm just not sure where. Has anyone any idea where i might find one? I'm sure London will have them in China town, but living in the north east I won't be getting there any time soon.

Thanks.

Any Thai grocery stores in your area? At least in the U.S., they usually have such. Absent Thai, perhaps a Philippine owned place?

Absent these, try asking at a Thai restaurant, often staff at these are from the Northeast. Phone one to inquire?

You're looking for a "huat," the basket, which'll work with most any pot.

Mac

Got em in Liverpool but they also do mail order, will this do ? :jap:

My link

Btw. I prefer my sticky rice Kao Larm style (stuffed with into a bamboo segment, sealed with banana leaves and grilled over a fire) I can live with sticky rice cooked in a huat...but a rice steamer ???

That's like saying MacDonald's sell hamburgers.

post-7438-0-90233500-1317587779_thumb.pn

Edited by roamer

You really don't need a basket to make sticky rice. The baskets are a pain to clean; there are much easier ways.

(1) Use a steamer. Line the steaming basket with a layer of muslin and put the rice on that. Rice soaked for 3-4 hours will cook in 30 minutes. Steamers are widely available.

(2) Slightly harder to find are steamers that fit on top of rice cookers, but a Chinese food store should have one. Same deal. Soak rice. Line steamer with muslin. Cooks in 30 minutes. The advantage of this kind is that you don't need to worry about the temperature to keep the water boiling.

(3) SheSimmers (Thai food blogger) swears by using a splatter screen. Details at http://www.shesimmers.com/2010/09/thai-recipe-easiest-way-to-cook-sticky.html

Where exactly are you in the Northeast?

Never had any trouble finding Thai items up there (large Thai-expat community).

The items are available in any ethnic east-asian/southeast asian stores.

If you have a electric vegetable/sea food steamer and some cheese cloth it is very easy to make sticky rice.

Edited by pieeyed

[goiter gage=aging' timestamp='1317601559' post='4739388]

Where exactly are you in the Northeast?

Never had any trouble finding Thai items up there (large Thai-expat community).

The items are available in any ethnic east-asian/southeast asian stores.

We live in North East lincolnshire there is a good Thai shop near us , we get fresh Thai veg and most Thai foods, along with rice and all the cooking utinsels. pm me if you are near us