Going Through Customs With 2 Monitors, And A Computer

Praetor

Hi,

Will be arrival in BKK next week with my bag, 2 computer monitors and a PC. Will that present any problem / charge at customs, given I will only have the 30 day visa? [as I'm going to sort out education visa when I get there]

Thanks

Would it not be far easier to just bring the hard drive and get the rest when you get here. Just what reason are you going to give customs for why you are bringing 2 monitors and a computer on a 30 day holiday ?

Computer parts are fairly cheap here as are monitors.

Well..they will "find them" - they are in their own boxes - They are big ass monitors (30") which are not easy to find or cheap in Thailand. Same with the computer, its pretty well specced and would not be cheap at all in Thailand

If questioned, my plan is to tell the truth and say that I'm going to be getting the education visa and staying for longer, although I do have a a ticket booked to leave the country after 28 days

Are they going to give me a problem with that?

There is no way to avoid it, you must pay duties and I have no idea of how much. (I presume it are LCD screens, not normal CT monitors as these you can't take with you on an airplane). People do take computers and especially notebooks with them all the time without questions being raised, soemtimes desktops. But a desktop with two big monitors might very well raise questions.

So no real way to know what they will say or what if anything they would charge me?

The monitors/computers are both kinda old ..> 1 year..and I will be taking them away from Thailand after a year

Maybe I should just say I am saying a month, and I like to play tons of compute games and thats why I am bringing them on the holiday, thus avoid saying I'm "importing" them?

:rolleyes:

I can't say for sure but if you can legally prove they are your property it shouldn't be a problem.

However, they probably will ask you questions.

Years ago I brought 2 desktop units, a monitor,and two seperate stacked hard drive systems, along with my laptop into the then international airport in Don Mueng. All stacked together on a baggage cart.

I was stopped at the customs, and they asked the purpose of all that computer equipment.

I told them, truthfully, that they were all personal property for my own use.

The customs inspector looked around, didn't apparently see any of his supervisors, and just monitioned me to go...get out of here.

So I did.

Hope that you are that lucky.

:whistling:

P.S. I also once arrived in customs at Don Mueng with a small over shoulder carry bag of clothes and two wrapped packages containg 20 Kilos of fresh Prime Rib as my "luggage".

Got that through customs too.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

About 5 years ago I bought two new LCD displays from the IT Expo in Singapore (28" I think) I was stopped by customs and charged 5000 baht, I could hardly argue they were my used property as they were still in original wrapping.