Trustworthy Long Term Scooter Rental Around Phuket

BobbyGeneric

If you go over to Chalong way there is Happy Days guesthouse with a selection of bikes...2 shops down there is Simon's coffee shop which has a bigger selection of bikes. No passports and nice discounts if you commit to 6 month rentals... I always refer my friends to these 2 places

• 4 weeks later...

dont ever hire a scooter and dont give your passport to anyone,nobody.Since you are going to be here for a while consider purchasing one its only 1300usd new.Then sell it back before departing.

How's he going to register it if he's on a tourist visa. You need a non-imm visa to register a vehicle. Alternatively you may be stupid enough to put in a Thai's name....

Stick to renting one mate, a lot less hassle for you....

dont ever hire a scooter and dont give your passport to anyone,nobody.Since you are going to be here for a while consider purchasing one its only 1300usd new.Then sell it back before departing.

How's he going to register it if he's on a tourist visa. You need a non-imm visa to register a vehicle. Alternatively you may be stupid enough to put in a Thai's name...

wrong

Phuket DLT and most other DLT will register any vehicle in foreigners name holding any permit to stay or any visa, and its been like this the 9 years I have been living here full time

its 73k baht for a new pcx all included, and 6 months old it fetches 50k baht in one day, more in a week

How's he going to register it if he's on a tourist visa. You need a non-imm visa to register a vehicle. Alternatively you may be stupid enough to put in a Thai's name...

wrong

Phuket DLT and most other DLT will register any vehicle in foreigners name holding any permit to stay or any visa, and its been like this the 9 years I have been living here full time

its 73k baht for a new pcx all included, and 6 months old it fetches 50k baht in one day, more in a week

Not convinced on that at all, ok put it this way and I know this for a fact, you cannot transfer a green book held your name whilst holding a tourist Visa. I know this as i've got 3 bikes in Phuket and they were all bought and registered whilst on a non-imm B visa. My work has changed and i will be returning on a tourist visa but was told by someone that i couldn't transfer the green books on tourist visa. So i went to see my little lady at RTO and she confirmed this as being correct. So seems pretty odd they'd let you register on TV but not sell, so i'll stick my neck out and disagree with you.......not for the sake of arguing i may add :jap:

wrong

Not convinced on that at all, ok put it this way and I know this for a fact, you cannot transfer a green book held your name whilst holding a tourist Visa. I know this as i've got 3 bikes in Phuket and they were all bought and registered whilst on a non-imm B visa. My work has changed and i will be returning on a tourist visa but was told by someone that i couldn't transfer the green books on tourist visa. So i went to see my little lady at RTO and she confirmed this as being correct. So seems pretty odd they'd let you register on TV but not sell, so i'll stick my neck out and disagree with you.......not for the sake of arguing i may add :jap:

so we disagree, I have done approx 45 reg and sales past 9 years on entrystamp or touristvisa, including last week on a Tourist Visa extension. Cars, trucks, small bikes and big bikes, and doing a big bike this week

should mention, registering as new owner, certificate of residence is required, Issued by Phuket Immgration at 300 baht, any visa or permit to stay accepted. Immigration is back to the old computerprints with attached photo stamped, so DLT now requires one original for each vehicle

so we disagree, I have done approx 45 reg and sales past 9 years on entrystamp or touristvisa, including last week on a Tourist Visa extension. Cars, trucks, small bikes and big bikes, and doing a big bike this week

should mention, registering as new owner, certificate of residence is required, Issued by Phuket Immgration at 300 baht, any visa or permit to stay accepted. Immigration is back to the old computerprints with attached photo stamped, so DLT now requires one original for each vehicle

DLT accepted transfer again today, few months old 2011 big bike

seller on entry stamp few days left before expire, buyer (me) 25 days left on Tourist Visa extension

and rain on my way home again B)

I agree with KBB. Phuket Immigration has the discretion to issue a certificate of residence even with a Tourist Visa. With that certificate in hand then Phuket DVLC will accept for vehicle registration and issue of Thai driver's licence. I know a number of people who have been issued with DL and had vehicle registered in their name while on a tourist visa.

I agree with KBB. Phuket Immigration has the discretion to issue a certificate of residence even with a Tourist Visa. With that certificate in hand then Phuket DVLC will accept for vehicle registration and issue of Thai driver's licence. I know a number of people who have been issued with DL and had vehicle registered in their name while on a tourist visa.

Could the difference in experience stem from difference in visa? A visa exempt entry is quite often called a tourist visa. AFAIK Phuket DLT does not accept visa exempt entry, but does accept regular tourist visa.

Could the difference in experience stem from difference in visa? A visa exempt entry is quite often called a tourist visa. AFAIK Phuket DLT does not accept visa exempt entry, but does accept regular tourist visa.

for vehicle transfers Phuket DLT do accept 14/30 daysentrystamp, in other word no Visa, and have so on each and every transfer I have done during my 9 years here

so does Immigration to issue certificate of residence, but of course certificate is only valid as long as permit to stay, so buying new, where registration may take more than 30 days, one is needed when purchase, a new one might be needed next month

its all very simple and smooth, so no need to complicate :)

steven .... I was talking about a Tourist visa. A visa exempt entry is called Visa on Arrival. I never mentioned that sort of visa would gain a certificate of residence.

KBB seems to think that a VOA would qualify, that's not something I can say with an assurance. just don't know.

steven .... I was talking about a Tourist visa. A visa exempt entry is called Visa on Arrival. I never mentioned that sort of visa would gain a certificate of residence.

KBB seems to think that a VOA would qualify, that's not something I can say with an assurance. just don't know.

Visa exempt entry is not called visa on arrival. Visa on arrival is something different, basically for those people who are not eligeble for visa exempt entry.

I'm not sure either, but these terms are quite often used wrongly, hence my thinking that that might have caused the confusion. KBB seems to think not though, because according to him with both visa exempt and visa it is possible to transfer at DLT.

Visa exempt entry is not called visa on arrival. Visa on arrival is something different, basically for those people who are not eligeble for visa exempt entry.

I'm not sure either, but these terms are quite often used wrongly, hence my thinking that that might have caused the confusion. KBB seems to think not though, because according to him with both visa exempt and visa it is possible to transfer at DLT.

In this case KBB does not think or assume, KBB knows based on almost 100 own transfers, ad friends transfers, any legal permit to stay in foreigners passport, lets drop the visa or no visa names, qualify to become registered owner or transfer ownership. On occasions such info can become dated when DLT changes rules, but as it was accepted today too, its been the same for past 9 years.

So for OP, its basicly a question of wanting to forke out 73k baht and visit Immigration to get certificate of residence to become registered owner, and place an ad here In ThaiVisa classified when leaving to get back 50-55k baht, or pay 6-7k baht/month for a rental

How's he going to register it if he's on a tourist visa. You need a non-imm visa to register a vehicle. Alternatively you may be stupid enough to put in a Thai's name....

Stick to renting one mate, a lot less hassle for you....

Just registered a car to my name today with a 28 day visa on arrival. No problems there

why did several motorbike dealers I went to insist on me having a work permit even if I paid cash for the car?

I suspect because it makes it easier to process the certificate of residence from immigration. But there is no need for a WP to buy a vehicle. All you need to do it obtain the Certificate from Immigration yourself. In the past I have bought a few new bikes and all I had to show was my passport.

why did several motorbike dealers I went to insist on me having a work permit even if I paid cash for the car?

I suspect because it makes it easier to process the certificate of residence from immigration. But there is no need for a WP to buy a vehicle. All you need to do it obtain the Certificate from Immigration yourself. In the past I have bought a few new bikes and all I had to show was my passport.

So to BUY the vehicle, only passport is required. But to REGISTER the vehicle, you need WP/certificate of residence. Is this correct?

Also what happens to the greenbook in-between the purchase and the registration? I thought it was auto-registered from the dealership on first purchase?

So to BUY the vehicle, only passport is required. But to REGISTER the vehicle, you need WP/certificate of residence. Is this correct?

Also what happens to the greenbook in-between the purchase and the registration? I thought it was auto-registered from the dealership on first purchase?

when you purchase some require certificate of residence (which can be replaced by WP or your yellow house book), as they want to register asap.

until you provide this doc, dealer can not register, thus no green book issued yet for a new bike

You need EITHER the Certificate OR WP to register the bike. Usually takes a month or so from purchase the bike to receiving the Green Book & permanent plate. After purchase the dealership process the registration paperwork. Purchaser needs the supporting paperwork for dealer to process the registration. Some dealers know how to obtain the Certificate others have no clue and just demand a WP. But if you can supply the Certificate then that is all that's required. In my case I always supplied the Certificate as the Honda dealer had no idea/interest in helping me.

when you purchase some require certificate of residence (which can be replaced by WP or your yellow house book), as they want to register asap.

until you provide this doc, dealer can not register, thus no green book issued yet for a new bike

You need EITHER the Certificate OR WP to register the bike. Usually takes a month or so from purchase the bike to receiving the Green Book & permanent plate. After purchase the dealership process the registration paperwork. Purchaser needs the supporting paperwork for dealer to process the registration. Some dealers know how to obtain the Certificate others have no clue and just demand a WP. But if you can supply the Certificate then that is all that's required. In my case I always supplied the Certificate as the Honda dealer had no idea/interest in helping me.

Ok thanks. Do they keep the certificate, or they just make a copy?

The DVLC requires the original to be retained or an endorsed copy (endorsed by the DVLC on inspection of the original). I myself usually ask for 2 originals at Phuket immigration (keep one as a spare, but remember they are only valid until date your current entry stamp or extension stamp expires). I have managed to get a copy endorsed at the DVLC but you need a cooperative official to help you out.

The DVLC requires the original to be retained or an endorsed copy (endorsed by the DVLC on inspection of the original). I myself usually ask for 2 originals at Phuket immigration (keep one as a spare, but remember they are only valid until date your current entry stamp or extension stamp expires). I have managed to get a copy endorsed at the DVLC but you need a cooperative official to help you out.

at DLT (Department of Land Transportation) Phuket, they require original certficate of residence if you want to transfer ownership/become registered owner of used vehicle, counter #4.

but if purchasing new, they accept copy signed by you

past weeks experience :)

and its been like this past 9 years, except late 2010/early 2011 when Phuket Immigration used a form with handwriting, no photo, as certificate of residence, all accepted copies

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm headed to Phuket tomorrow and still not completely decided if I should rent or buy... both sound like decent options. If I can find a Honda dealership and get a certificate of residence quick enough, perhaps I'll just buy one. How about helmets? Are there specific stores that sell some better ones or can you just get them along with the bike?

In this case KBB does not think or assume, KBB knows based on almost 100 own transfers, ad friends transfers, any legal permit to stay in foreigners passport, lets drop the visa or no visa names, qualify to become registered owner or transfer ownership. On occasions such info can become dated when DLT changes rules, but as it was accepted today too, its been the same for past 9 years.

So for OP, its basicly a question of wanting to forke out 73k baht and visit Immigration to get certificate of residence to become registered owner, and place an ad here In ThaiVisa classified when leaving to get back 50-55k baht, or pay 6-7k baht/month for a rental

Or buy a nice second hand PCX and recoup most if not all of your money...

Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm headed to Phuket tomorrow and still not completely decided if I should rent or buy... both sound like decent options. If I can find a Honda dealership and get a certificate of residence quick enough, perhaps I'll just buy one. How about helmets? Are there specific stores that sell some better ones or can you just get them along with the bike?

Realizing that luggage space is tight, if you can bring your own good helmets I would due to the cheap plastic stuff usually handed out by the rental outfits. I carry mine when I travel, but then I have a big head.

Now you have the all the info I take it you have considered your insurance and have a motorcycle licence in your country to allow you to ride here and be insured when you have the accident :rolleyes: