Tg Cancellation Of Last Flight Of The Day Bangkok - Chiang Mai

iang

From reading the posts on this thread and assuming what has been written is correct. Thai will drop their last flight of the day and Air Asia will still operate their last flight but an hour earlier and both changes take place on the same date. This may be the result of the Airport closing earlier so that essential work can be done on the runway and such like for a period time. The airport will still open every morning as normal. This may go for weeks or months. When the runway resurfacing or whatever is finished the airport will revert back to normal hours and those later flights will resume. Just a thought. I am not in CM at the moment but this situation occurs at many single runway airports.

Thank you for the explanation. It only makes sense if the airport needs to do renovations on the runways. It happened shortly after Suvarnaboomcrash opened and a great number of flights were cancelled. it was a REAL bolox-up at that time. I would imagine they would want to get the work done BEFORE the Christmas rush bookings. The rest of us just have to accept the inconvenience.

You do all realise that when making bookings there are other carriers available and Thai Airways are NOT your only option right?

Vote with your feet! If the service is poor or not to your satisfaction then use an alternative.

There are plenty of airlines out there who are more then happy to receive your business and it's usually shown in the level of service you receive.

Yes, there are other options, but sadly not at 21:30 / 9:30pm at night!

The last flight of the day to Chiang Mai is now Bangkok Airways at 8:30pm. But this still is too early for my connection in particular, but will doubtless help many. Only a small aircraft though & I went to book this flight in one month's time & it's already fully booked! Thanks to TG no doubt!

I've taken this flight a number of times. Each time it was delayed by an hour ......

From reading the posts on this thread and assuming what has been written is correct. Thai will drop their last flight of the day and Air Asia will still operate their last flight but an hour earlier and both changes take place on the same date. This may be the result of the Airport closing earlier so that essential work can be done on the runway and such like for a period time. The airport will still open every morning as normal. This may go for weeks or months. When the runway resurfacing or whatever is finished the airport will revert back to normal hours and those later flights will resume. Just a thought. I am not in CM at the moment but this situation occurs at many single runway airports.

"this may be the result"

Good thinking ! Although no mention of any runway-work on the airport's own web-site.

But couldn't Thai just re-time the flight to arrive an hour earlier, when there are a couple of other flights scheduled ? And wouldn't Thai's web-site show the flight re-starting, at some point, I looked as far as April 2012 and couldn't see any sign of that.

So on-balance this seems a less-likely explanation. :jap:

Perhaps one of our members, with an inside-track to the airport or airline, might be able to discover what's happening ?

Edited by Ricardo

Hope that they'll be picking-up the cost, for a night in an airport-hotel, for all of us inter-lining late-evening arrivals ? <_<

Never mind the cost for a night of drunken debauchery for more traditionalist Farangs... The lodging cost seems to be the minor one.

You think TG will be handing out a Nana Plaza coupon? :D

Bummer this one got cancelled but with so many airlines going the route there's bound to be a replacement by one of the other carriers. Of course I prefer TG because they're the only ones who really don't care how much luggage you have on you - never given me trouble. The well received Bangkok Air, on the other hand, had me take a few things out of my suitcase before I was allowed on board. Annoying and stupid as I was taking all that stuff in hand luggage instead... :angry: way to lose a customer, really...

i wonder if loi kratong and the flying lanterns has anything to do with the flight rescheduling?

I can answer that: No.

Check a flight for 2 December or something; 2 December is the Friday before a long weekend, in December, so a prime travel time. Last flight on TeeGee: 18:40.

Many thanks for the input of so many. Who knows, maybe someone at TG reads this forum & realises the error of their ways! :) Ha Ha - fat chance I know.

Here's some comments for various other posters:

- Yeah, changing to an earlier flight into Bangkok would be a very obvious solution & had definitely occurred to me - IF there was an earlier flight option. Sadly there's not & my flight from OS gets in at 20:00 with no alternatives. So like it or not, I have no choice.

- Air Asia is not a solution either, as you can't interline baggage though to Air Asia from an incoming international flight. If you're traveling on with Air Asia, you have to clear immigration in Bangkok, collect your bags, clear customs & then high tail it upto the domestic check in area with your bags & join the queue to check in for your flight. I'd not recommend less than an arrival 2 hours in advance into Bangkok to achieve this with any certainty! And if your incoming flight is delayed & you miss your Air Asia flight, then it's too bad - you've lost your money & have to buy another ticket. And the last flight of the day out of Bangkok to Chiang Mai is 20:40, not later as one poster suggested.

- With either TG or PG (Bangkok Airways) [but not Air Asia], baggage can be checked in at your departure port & checked through (interlined) via Bangkok, upto Chiang Mai. Then on arrival into Bangkok, you go to the 'International to Domestic' connection counter & clear immigration in this area, receive a CIQ sticker & proceed to the domestic departure area & get on your flight as usual. On arrival in Chiang Mai (or Phuket or Koh Samui, as the same applies to these destinations too), you go to the international arrivals area, where your bags come off on the baggage belt or carousel and you then clear customs in Chiang Mai. Bags are not collected in Bangkok, meaning that a faster connection can be achieved.

- The TG flight being cancelled due to runway maintenance work at Suvarnabhumi was an interesting suggestion. There's nothing on the TG website to support this though. I hope the poster is right though, as that'd mean the later reinstatement of the current last flight!

- And the overnight bus upto Chiang Mai solution!?!? Seriously, that's a solution!? I value my life thank you & don't want to end up in a crushed overturned bus in a klong somewhere in Nakorn Nowhere...... Have done the long distance Thai coaches & survived, but don't want to press my luck any further. I'll stay in a nearby airport hotel thanks & fly the next day.

i've probably missed it somewhere, but where are you travelling from?

i know the options are very limited but you could try an airline that doesn't go through BKK at all.

I use singapore/silkair regularly.

Coming out of Adelaide, Australia - from where there's no direct flights to Bangkok. It's possible to pay extra to fly to Melbourne or Sydney, but then most of the flights from those places arrive Bangkok 10pm-11pm, so too late for connections. And it costs more too because of the extra domestic ticket needed.

Can fly Singapore Airlines & Silk Air, but then have to overnight in Singapore to connect with Silk Air to Chang Mai.

That's why until TG stuffed it up, the Singapore Airlines connection Adelaide - Singapore - Bangkok, connecting with the 21:30 TG flight out of Bangkok was so great & a wonderful connection all the way.

odd, i'm pretty sure i've flown adelaide-singapore-chiang mai on singapore air with only a few hours in singapore.

just checked, yeah i did it 12 months ago with only 50 minutes layover in singapore. i remember now arguing with the travel agent i wasn't going to make the connecting flight with only 50 minutes in singapore... but i made it ok.

check, adelaide to singapore is the same time every day i think, but singapore to chiang mai changes with the day as there are 4 flights in the week but they aren't all the same time. some days it may connect, others it may not. i flew on a friday.

• 1 month later...

But couldn't Thai just re-time the flight to arrive an hour earlier, when there are a couple of other flights scheduled ? And wouldn't Thai's web-site show the flight re-starting, at some point, I looked as far as April 2012 and couldn't see any sign of that.

And 'Hey Presto', TG8710 has now appeared in the schedule, dep BKK 20.00 arr CNX 21.20 throughout November, until TG122 reappears from 1st December onwards, dep BKK 21.30 and arr CNX 22.40.

Perhaps someone at TG reads ThaiVisa, or they got a lot of complaints, about the abruptly-cancelled flight ? B)

Whatever, it's good news ! :clap2:

Edited by Ricardo

• 1 month later...

And 'Hey Presto', TG8710 has now appeared in the schedule, dep BKK 20.00 arr CNX 21.20 throughout November, until TG122 reappears from 1st December onwards, dep BKK 21.30 and arr CNX 22.40.

Perhaps someone at TG reads ThaiVisa, or they got a lot of complaints, about the abruptly-cancelled flight ? cool.gif

Whatever, it's good news ! :clap2:

Was just looking for a connection home to CNX in late-July 2012, and lo-and-behold, they're at it again !crazy.gif

Last TG flight of the day is TG 120, dep BKK 18.40, arr CNX 20.00. No sign of TG122 again ! What a shower !blink.png