Free Parking At Swampy Now

bubba

Noticed that parking was free at short term on Saturday, and it was still free this evening (Tuesday) when I pulled in. Anybody know why?

BTW, also noticed that there are police checkpoints in front of the parking garages, and the road is narrowed down to one lane. Perhaps another fight between syndicates over who gets the parking concession?

They are interested in the unlicenced taxis.. The guys that will drive you from Pattaya to the Airport in thier private cars would avoid dropping you off at the departures gates and drop you off in the car park instead..

Previously, they risked getting stung for 500 Baht by the police if caught dropping off a Farang right outside the terminal, so they started dropping you off inside the car park instead.

They are interested in the unlicenced taxis.. The guys that will drive you from Pattaya to the Airport in thier private cars would avoid dropping you off at the departures gates and drop you off in the car park instead..

Previously, they risked getting stung for 500 Baht by the police if caught dropping off a Farang right outside the terminal, so they started dropping you off inside the car park instead.

How can anyone fine somebody 500 baht for dropping off a farang at the airport-even by Thai standards that defies belief.

Personally have been dropped off I guess 30-40 times with no problem.

Surely its the other way around where unlicenced taxis are picking up on the Airport-Pattaya run ??

How can anyone fine somebody 500 baht for dropping off a farang at the airport-even by Thai standards that defies belief.

Surely its the other way around where unlicenced taxis are picking up on the Airport-Pattaya run ??

A guy that takes me regularly told me about it, when I asked him "what are we doing in the car park?", he had been fined 500 tea money, even though he argued that it was his sisters boyfriend etc.. (he was lying of course)

I suppose you only need to be the unlucky one out of perhaps a 1000 once, to be cautious in the future.

A guy that takes me regularly told me about it, when I asked him "what are we doing in the car park?", he had been fined 500 tea money, even though he argued that it was his sisters boyfriend etc.. (he was lying of course)

I suppose you only need to be the unlucky one out of perhaps a 1000 once, to be cautious in the future.

Am not playing devils advocate here but why has he paid 500 tea money ?? What for ??

Ok he was lying but thats not the point which is of course the tea money collectors cannot possibly have known for sure that he wasn't the sisters boyfriend.

This is why (and not having a pop at you) these so called Police get away with it by no doubt intimidating people.

The only time in 20 years they have tried it on with me was in a car incident whereby the "on the spot fine" was 100 baht. I refused and laughed at him so he gave me a ticket for 500 baht. Went down the station to pay the 500 baht and they wanted me to sign a A4 sheet of paper only in Thai-I refused obviously and told them to go get certified translated copy.

5 minutes later and am told no problem sir-no fine.

Its by giving in so easily that encourages them to ram you-only a very small incident but it gives them "authotity" to up the ante ?

Right, I remember that. But that was a year ago and they have certainly been charging since last October.

And I guess I am confused here...what does the illegal taxi crackdown have to do with the car park operator not charging for parking??