Zone 2 Parking Lot At Suvarnabhumi Airport Closed Off By Armed Men

webfact

Zone 2 Parking Lot at Airport Closed off by Armed Men

The first floor of Zone 2 parking lot at the Suvarnabhumi Airport has been closed off by armed men who arrived at around 4 A.M. this morning. The problem stems from a concession dispute after a new concessionaire won the rights to manage the parking lot, but the previous concessionaire refuses to vacate the premises. Around 40 armed men dressed in black took over the parking lot early this morning and closed it down. Police are on the scene and are reportedly negotiating with the perpetrators.

Airport officials, however, insist that airport services are open for business as usual. Passengers are advised to avoid the Zone 2 parking lot.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-01

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Airport Parking Lot Reopens, But Armed Men Still Present

Reports indicate that the Zone 2 parking lot at the Suvarnabhumi Airport has reopened. However, the 40 armed men who reportedly took over the area are still present.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

State of emergency ?

Wouldn't you expect a fairly well trained armed response unit to be on hand close to all international airports?

The mind boggles - if they can take a car park, they could certainly take a few planes full of people.

• Like 1

This is insane. How can the police allow 40 armed men to take over? Just another day at the office?

I remember once a friend told me that a business plan in Thailand was basically a gun. In this case several guns.

TheWalkingMan

think this has been all negotiated BEFORE it came action - TiT - we only read the "News" and react as Farangs should react, cause they are assumed to know "nothing" which is in this context, quite right - thai superiority! :lol:

The frightening thing is, business owners in this country see this and interpret as an example of "permissable" behavior; business disputes (which normally occur in the event of typical business dealings) are often settled in Thailand at the end of a gun. I used to work for a Thai automobile manufacturer a long time ago, and it was no secret (he even showed us one day) the general manager sat with a .38 in his desk drawer. Lack of law, combined with machismo and stilted development, make a scary recipie.

The frightening thing is, business owners in this country see this and interpret as an example of "permissable" behavior; business disputes (which normally occur in the event of typical business dealings) are often settled in Thailand at the end of a gun. I used to work for a Thai automobile manufacturer a long time ago, and it was no secret (he even showed us one day) the general manager sat with a .38 in his desk drawer. Lack of law, combined with machismo and stilted development, make a scary recipie.

Presumably the plant enjoyed very few labour-disputes ? :o

Only in Thailand.... While 40 armed men showing up and blocking the parking lot at the airport could happen in any country... Only in Thailand would the police come negotiate with them, then declare its reopened, while letting the armed gunmen stay.... Amazing...

Also agree with Pedro01, with the "state of emergency" shouldn't they are have forces on the ground ready for situations like this?

Airport Parking Lot Reopens, But Armed Men Still Present

Reports indicate that the Zone 2 parking lot at the Suvarnabhumi Airport has reopened. However, the 40 armed men who reportedly took over the area are still present.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

I wonder when the generator, amplifier, the speakers, the microphones, the band, the stage, the flags, the dancers, toilets, the food vendors, fresh water supply for showers, the bamboo and off course the drums with gasoline and car tires will arrive so they can get started again. Still boggles my mind if anyone does not wear it's safety belt you get pulled over and 40 Ali Babas with guns can take over the parking lot of an International airport ......No we are not strange...we are absolutely bonkers!!

Amazing Thailand, just hire your own army and off you go!

I can already see millions of people lining up to travel agent to get a ticket for their next holiday in Thailand once and if this headline makes news worldwide.

This kind of events and way to deal with them is what makes tourist figures go up by 20-30-50 percent. LOL

Well, it does not seem a strange incident. I have seen that in Turkey, too. And most probably in some other countries as well. When it comes to money, such events occur anytime and anywhere. Since incoming of parking lot is shared partly with local polices those armed people are not going to be neither penalized nor something else.

Edited by beylen