New Ubuntu Release

sbk

Yes, its true, Ubuntu will ship you free copies of the new distro so if you have a terrible connection this is one way of getting the new one. Seems to be a bit slow in the mailing out but I guess its better than nothing. And its all free! Ubuntu linux site

I running Ubuntu now and it seems to me that you have to download a lot of programs that aren't included in the basic distro. So if you have a slow connection, you might still have to spend a long time online to get a wide variety of programs. What's more, they don't always seem to work. I had the same problem with the new Suse, so maybe it's me, not Linux.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's true! The greatest Linux distro available will be send to you anywhere you want. Ain't that a beautifull thing?!

Started using this distro about half a year ago and am now in the process of switching our offices to Ubuntu. The migrate from Windoze is goind very well, no big issues there and the advantages are many!

@lost_in_space

As all available Linux distro, Ubuntu comes with a certain amount of included applications. Ubuntu has, unlike most others, chosen not to include all that complete unnessecary stuff which you hardly ever use. It's a nice clean install with great hardware support and superb community support!

@lost_in_space

As all available Linux distro, Ubuntu comes with a certain amount of included applications. Ubuntu has, unlike most others, chosen not to include all that complete unnessecary stuff which you hardly ever use. It's a nice clean install with great hardware support and superb community support!

I agree about the hardware support, but to a lesser extent about the unnessary stuff. In an office, where you don't want to burn a vcd, it's fine. But at home, I think you need to add programs that don't come with it. So, if you are on a slow connection it might take a while to get those.

If you have adsl, I think you can't do better than Ubuntu. The longer I use it, the more I like it.

Greenway, did it pick up your 56k modem? I know this can be a problem for Linux, as some modems seem to be Windoze dependant.

At my office, we're still using Win98, so the file systems are compatible with Linux, making the switch would be easy, but alas, it's not my decision.

Finally, people should know that you can dual boot with Linux, so you can try it out without giving up Windoze.

Yeah, you're right in that one; it also depends on what kind of apps you would like to run. I think this also has something to do with Ubuntu's policy; they're on a missin to get as many people possible hooked to Linux (Ubuntu, this case) and will ship free cd's to everywhere in the world. Then, if you would have a distro consisting of 7 cd's, well yeah... the costs will get kinda high! Even for Mark Shuttleworth...

Anyway, indeed if you're connected to the internet through a 56k modem I could imagine it being a big drag downloading updates and non-included apps.

As far as my modem goes; we're on Ipstar so I am not using a dial-up connection. However, the modem (onboard Lucient winmodem in my laptop) is listid in the configuration. But I have heard of more people having probs with Ubuntu working together with their winmodems. But, as far as I know with some extra drivers you should be able to get it up and running.

Filesystem compatibility is not an issue in our offices, on most workstations the Windoze are (or will be soon) completely shut! Unfortenately, I haven't found a decent accounting alternative to Quicken yet, so our accountents might have to wait a little bit, fortenately Linux treats Windoze a lot nicer then the other way around! Here, it was my call and I am glad I decided to go this way; no more virusscans, no more nightly hours looking for ad-ware, spyware or other sorts of nasty stuff! We're setting up a very nice, Linux based office environment and the future is looking bright again!

Hmmz, might be... I have no experiences with those kind of applications. Did you look for them? If so, which way (through repositories, debian packages, normal downloads). Just asking this because I heard more stories like this and many times, people didn't toke the effort of looking around to see what is out there...

I used Sourceforge. I must admit I didn't look too hard mainly because I already had good XP programes (Premiere & Vegas). I'm not averse to OSS. I use things like Virtuladub, VLC, Mplayer and other open source stuff all the time. I did try installing X64 on my laptop (an Acer Turion) but it went tits up big time so I reverted to XP. The last time I tried Linux was with a purchased copy of SUSE (8.1). I did a custom install of apps and when I rebooted straight after the install it complained that libraries were missing! I'm also not frightened of the command line. I started with CP/M and worked my way through DOS, a bit of Xenix, Perkins-Elmer Unix :o OS/2, NT and W2K to XP. I've never had much trouble with W2K or XP so I suppose I'm guilty of sticking with what I've become comfortable with. :D

Edited by endure