United States Grants US$260,000 To Fight Human Traffickers In Thailand

webfact

US grant to fight human traffickers

The Nation

The United States has granted US$260,000 (Bt8.1 million) to the Anti-Trafficking Coordination Unit in Northern Thailand (Trafcord) to help its fight against human trafficking.

Todd Bate-Poxon, acting US consul general, presented the grant to Trafcord manager Duen Wongsa yesterday.

"This grant reflects the continued importance the US places on stopping trafficking and our confidence in Trafcord's operation," he said.

According to Duen, human trafficking has become increasingly complicated due to changing economic and social circumstances, with victims being forced into prostitution, begging and hard labour.

"In a crackdown in Chiang Rai, six boys were found in a prostitution ring with some of them having been infected with HIV," Duen said.

She added that many young girls and women from neighbouring countries had been forced into the flesh trade in Chiang Mai, and many were sent further south to Singapore and Malaysia.

Trafcord was established in 2003 and has received regular grants from the US.

The agency can be contacted round the clock at (087) 174 5797.

"We are committed to assisting victims and pushing for strict laws against human traffickers," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-06

Meanwhile, American (and other) tourists spend that much every night in establishments that traffic women....

Care to provide a corroborating source for this statement? Or is or is it just your fantasy?

Meanwhile, American (and other) tourists spend that much every night in establishments that traffic women....

can you explain that statement, I have Never met a girl or young woman who did not want to be doing what she is doing... while working in a bar... its an easy job and easy moneys... and the oldest profession in the world... God Bless em...!!

Care to provide a corroborating source for this statement? Or is or is it just your fantasy?

"People who demand freedom of speech do so to make up for the lack of Freedom of thought, which they refuse to practice."

Soren Kierkegaard

It is easy to spout a sudden "feeling" or a believe that makes them feel good without backing it up with solid facts or incontrovertible data.

Excerpt from "How to be a perfect drone."

"It makes me feel good when I blame the usual "whipping boy."

I am such a neat human being!

Plenty of human trafficking occuring within the USA borders.

Why not keep these funds at home to solve a closer problem, and help the economy in their own country?

And where do you think the 8 million bht will end up ????.............trust it to be used here in Thailand for the purpose intended.?????

We are a bit naive today, are we? Either you haven't been to any of the establishments in question recently, or you don't talk much with the girls before you <deleted> them :bah:

Even reading newspapers can prove useful sometimes. There are articles on a regular basis about raids against bars etc. with an abundance of trafficked or otherwise illegal immigrant women who are held under slave like conditions, getting little or no money for using their lower body parts as deposit for the sperm of some dubious, male being, foreign or Thai.

If a woman choose prostitution as a career, that is up to her, and sometimes, it's even understandable that she makes that choice. Unfortunately, many of the women in bars, brothels etc. never had that choice, and were duped into becoming what they are, out of touch with relatives and friends, and unable to escape.

Read the report. Do the math yourself. PM me if you need help with the word problem.

http://www.unglobalcompact.org/docs/issues_doc/labour/Forced_labour/HUMAN_TRAFFICKING_-_THE_FACTS_-_final.pdf

can you explain that statement, I have Never met a girl or young woman who did not want to be doing what she is doing... while working in a bar... its an easy job and easy moneys... and the oldest profession in the world... God Bless em...!!

Can you please tell me what drug you're on, so that I can have some of that the next time I visit Pattaya?

We are a bit naive today, are we? Either you haven't been to any of the establishments in question recently, or you don't talk much with the girls before you <deleted> them :bah:

Even reading newspapers can prove useful sometimes. There are articles on a regular basis about raids against bars etc. with an abundance of trafficked or otherwise illegal immigrant women who are held under slave like conditions, getting little or no money for using their lower body parts as deposit for the sperm of some dubious, male being, foreign or Thai.

If a woman choose prostitution as a career, that is up to her, and sometimes, it's even understandable that she makes that choice. Unfortunately, many of the women in bars, brothels etc. never had that choice, and were duped into becoming what they are, out of touch with relatives and friends, and unable to escape.

Normally you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it. BUT the game played here is not the norm, so I agree with the above post. There are many that are stuck with it and there is no way out................but I still doubt the money will end up going to where it's needed.

It has been stated before on forum 90 % of girls/boys bars - the customers are THAI, we only see the resort bars and they are a tip of the iceberg in Thailand

Edited by ginjag

I'm pretty sure that most "traffic'ed" women aren't going to confide in everyone that walks in the door that they're being held against their will, or against a threat to their families. Or say "Pick me, pick me!- I hate what I'm doing!"

Thailand is broke too - who better to borrow from than another broken horse...

borrow more to pay a debt off

But just how much will actually go towards preventing traffiking than actually paying off the new GOV shuffle...

If the money is used to combat 'real' sex trafficking, that is great. Keep in mind that Human trafficking includes people who willingly travel illegally to another country for non-sex work. Technically, if a Thai picks up a Cambodian citizen hitch hiker who is in Thailand illegally and gives the Cambodian a ride to another city, etc., the Thai citizen instantly becomes a Human traffficker. People trafficked in the sex trade in Thailand are usually found in the more remote areas of the country and their clients are usually Thais. Those of you who are stating that there are many prostitutes held against their will, etc. in Pattaya, Bangkok, etc. are greatly misinformed and incorrect. I even know of free-lancers who are college students who come to 'the tourist areas' in BKK, Pattaya, etc. to earn extra money on the weekend. They come from as far as Lop Buri, etc.. Their parents do not know what they are doing. Two expats I know who teach English at university also know of such behavior. One can learn much from the people, including sex workers by be-friending them... and not having sex with them. I have seen many women in bars and on the street in tourist areas turn down guys who want to take them. Almost all the women have a choice to be there and who they want to go with or not go with.<BR>BTW, there are two NGO's that state that there are ~300,000 under-aged trafficked prostitutes annually in the USA (the majority are US citizens). Occasionally, I read of prostitute rings in large US cities like LA that are raided and where there are dozens of women kept as sex slaves. All I read about involve women from Latin America being kept as sex slaves by other Latin Americans. Whether you want to believe the figure of 300,000 or not is up to you. All the people who are in the US illegally are technically 'victims' of Human trafficking. That means there are probably 20 million + people in the US who were trafficked. The US government and most NGO's do not refer to the people who are in the US illegally working (non-sex workers) as being trafficked but the US government and most NGO's include non-sex workers in the figures when they are referring to other countries. This makes the figures 'referring to sex-workers' look larger in non-US countries. This is pure hypocrisy.<BR>Anyway, I am against all forms of forced labor, slavery etc. There needs to be worldwide standardization and a well defined definition by all countries when referring to 'Human trafficking' figures. And do not believe the all the media and all NGOs. Many disseminate inaccurate information, half truths, hype, inflated figures based on a mathmatical model or formula which is not suited to the purpose and does accurately reflect true numbers, etc. for selling and fundraising.

Edited by MUYTHAI

Why not keep these funds at home to solve a closer problem, and help the economy in their own country?

And where do you think the 8 million bht will end up ????.............trust it to be used here in Thailand for the purpose intended.?????

Probably dividing it amongst themselves as we speak

I wonder who the USA borrowed the money from to donate because after all the USA is broke. Its really ironic they are broke but still throwing out cash they do not have.bah.gif

That's the insight that makes TVF worthwhile reading.

I also note that nothing was said about the results and effectiveness of the organization eating up the money.

And as if this is not going on big time within US borders. Demi Moore can fill you in on the details.

A bankrupt country turning attention away from the man behind the curtain.

Edited by plumeria

We are a bit naive today, are we? Either you haven't been to any of the establishments in question recently, or you don't talk much with the girls before you &lt;deleted&gt; them :bah:

ohhhhhhhh goodness. Those must be invisible shackles keeping the ladies tied to the bar stools. . . whistling.gif

If you are aware of such an establishment, they provided a telephone# in the original article above rolleyes.gif, and be sure to make use of it Mr All Knowing.

Edited by Newguy70

Unbelievable.What about their own borders, pointing on the Mexican? And it will help the homeless in the States....jap.gif

If the money is used to combat 'real' sex trafficking, that is great. Keep in mind that Human trafficking includes people who willingly travel illegally to another country for non-sex work. Technically, if a Thai picks up a Cambodian citizen hitch hiker who is in Thailand illegally and gives the Cambodian a ride to another city, etc., the Thai citizen instantly becomes a Human traffficker. People trafficked in the sex trade in Thailand are usually found in the more remote areas of the country and their clients are usually Thais. Those of you who are stating that there are many prostitutes held against their will, etc. in Pattaya, Bangkok, etc. are greatly misinformed and incorrect. I even know of free-lancers who are college students who come to 'the tourist areas' in BKK, Pattaya, etc. to earn extra money on the weekend. They come from as far as Lop Buri, etc.. Their parents do not know what they are doing. Two expats I know who teach English at university also know of such behavior. One can learn much from the people, including sex workers by be-friending them... and not having sex with them. I have seen many women in bars and on the street in tourist areas turn down guys who want to take them. Almost all the women have a choice to be there and who they want to go with or not go with.<BR>BTW, there are two NGO's that state that there are ~300,000 under-aged trafficked prostitutes annually in the USA (the majority are US citizens). Occasionally, I read of prostitute rings in large US cities like LA that are raided and where there are dozens of women kept as sex slaves. All I read about involve women from Latin America being kept as sex slaves by other Latin Americans. Whether you want to believe the figure of 300,000 or not is up to you. All the people who are in the US illegally are technically 'victims' of Human trafficking. That means there are probably 20 million + people in the US who were trafficked. The US government and most NGO's do not refer to the people who are in the US illegally working (non-sex workers) as being trafficked but the US government and most NGO's include non-sex workers in the figures when they are referring to other countries. This makes the figures 'referring to sex-workers' look larger in non-US countries. This is pure hypocrisy.<BR>Anyway, I am against all forms of forced labor, slavery etc. There needs to be worldwide standardization and a well defined definition by all countries when referring to 'Human trafficking' figures. And do not believe the all the media and all NGOs. Many disseminate inaccurate information, half truths, hype, inflated figures based on a mathmatical model or formula which is not suited to the purpose and does accurately reflect true numbers, etc. for selling and fundraising.

Two expats I know who teach English at university also know of such behavior.

I know many expats who know nothing.jap.gif

Read the report. Do the math yourself. PM me if you need help with the word problem.

http://www.unglobalcompact.org/docs/issues_doc/labour/Forced_labour/HUMAN_TRAFFICKING_-_THE_FACTS_-_final.pdf

That report is 4 years old or more and is basically based on estimates and assumtions so it has very little to do with maths. And nowhere does it provide a ground for your original statement and numbers.

I thought a good post on the subject.

Hope the money is put to good use.

http://www.unglobalc...CTS_-_final.pdf

First, the link you provide does NOTHING to support your inane statement. And second, you chose to insult me with a condescending remark.

So, I conclude that you are neither rational, nor dispassionate on this subject, and that, quite possibly, you are the one in need of some help.

As for the grant from the US, it is a drop in the bucket, and misguided, at best. It is a Puritan's cloistered response to (horrors!), sex. Currently, such nonsense is in vogue in America, as is the need to make sure the whole world conforms to the Religious Right's agenda.

As for the other meathead, who suggested I might be naive, and then went on to insinuate that I &lt;deleted&gt; bargirls without talking to them first (or after, or during): I've been here a long time, and I'll wager I actually know and count as friends more former bargirls than you have EVER spoken to.

You see, unlike you, I don't look down my nose at them. I see them as people, albeit people who live in a different culture, with different values than mine. You, apparently, do not.

The arrogance and smugness in your posts speaks volumes.

We are a bit naive today, are we? Either you haven't been to any of the establishments in question recently, or you don't talk much with the girls before you &lt;deleted&gt; them :bah:

What you are claiming just isn't backed up by facts. A very clear majority of any girls working in gogo-bars, bear-bars or massage-places, in any of the locations that is often visited by foreign customers, are NOT trafficked there.

If you had talked to any you would know it.