Bank Account On Non Imm 'O' Visa

Friends from the UK will be in Samui/Thailand for a while and want to open a bank account here. They are here on a Non Imm 'O' based on retirement.

My experience (some time ago) was that Bangkok Bank (BigC) were not interested unless I had a Work Permit. Another - I forget which - didn't really understand what I wanted. And so I ended up with SCB (BigC), and have been happy with them. My friends only require simple banking; ATM, an account to SWIFT funds into that kind of thing.

Does anyone have any recent experience of Banks/branches on Samui and their willingness to open an account? They are in the Bophut area, but have transport.

Many thanks for any replies.:jap:

I have accounts at Bangkok Bank, on retirement visa, so not sure why they would turn anyone down..

Perhaps go ask for Lek at the Bopout Branch, her English is pretty good and see if she can help... actually all the staff there are good ...

I find the service there excellent.... they even phone me when money arrives... sadly not often enough :lol:

SCB will do it, more all less all the branches..... also they have the biggest network of ATM machines as well, and always a Branch close by should you need one

The one on the corner opposite the entrance to FV....the lassie speaks good English...will take 10 mins. wink.gif

the lassie speaks good English...

I despair sometimes, I really do.:lol: For the benefit of Rooo and others, 'lassie' = girl.

Anyway, many thanks for all the replies.:D

Phewwwwwwwww thanks for clarifying this term, I thought it was a talking dog.

Most yellow banks will do it. (Bank of Ayudhya)

The one on the ring road in Bophut will and so will the one in Choengmon.

Most ATM's all over the place now - ah the days when there was only one ATM in Chewang and only two in Nathon!!! (Thank god those days have gone - progress is good.)

PS I found the Bangkok Bank the hardest to open an account and the most unhelpful

Edited by Tropicalevo

Most ATM's all over the place now - ah the days when there was only one ATM in Chewang and only two in Nathon!!! (Thank god those days have gone - progress is good.)

PS I found the Bangkok Bank the hardest to open an account and the most unhelpful

Got to agree with you there TE, Ayudhya at ring road lights junction with Lamedin road are happy to open accounts for expats with non 'O'. Not sure if you don't need proof of address though, but for 500 baht, Immigration will do that for you, just tell them the address where you are staying and they will issue the form.

SCB will do it, more all less all the branches..... also they have the biggest network of ATM machines as well, and always a Branch close by should you need one

THIS

I opened an account at the SCB opposite Tesco Lotus about 3 weeks ago. No questions asked, and was in and out within 10 minutes.

Well itishothere the first part of our plan worked well....but how do we get their account numbers mate?

Edit: Oops my PM function is broke! biggrin.gif

OK here is the plan. We meet the night before in Emerald to confirm everything. In the morning we meet them at Sweeny Todds for breakfast and offer to copy important documents for them at my place with the scanner. (The PIN will be in there somewhere.) We then accompany them to the bank as potential character references. After a celebration at Havelli we pop over to Premier Sports Bar where at the right moment we pinch the card. I then go to the ATM.:ph34r:

Even if we fail on the last part, it would have been a pretty good day out.:D

Well itishothere the first part of our plan worked well....but how do we get their account numbers mate?

Edit: Oops my PM function is broke! biggrin.gif

OK here is the plan. We meet the night before in Emerald to confirm everything. In the morning we meet them at Sweeny Todds for breakfast and offer to copy important documents for them at my place with the scanner. (The PIN will be in there somewhere.) We then accompany them to the bank as potential character references. After a celebration at Havelli we pop over to Premier Sports Bar where at the right moment we pinch the card. I then go to the ATM.:ph34r:

Even if we fail on the last part, it would have been a pretty good day out.:D

laugh.gif Lets do it!

the lassie speaks good English...

I despair sometimes, I really do.:lol: For the benefit of Rooo and others, 'lassie' = girl.

Anyway, many thanks for all the replies.:D

Phewwwwwwwww thanks for clarifying this term, I thought it was a talking dog.

Me too... :lol:

I always find it strange the different experiences people get at different banks / shops etc...

The songs..... "Can't get no satisfaction", or "I love you .... yeah yeah yeah!" ....comes to mind .... :):D

I always find it strange the different experiences people get at different banks / shops etc...

The songs..... "Can't get no satisfaction", or "I love you .... yeah yeah yeah!" ....comes to mind .... :):D

What kind of shops? :o :o :o

:lol:

Have to say tho' the difference in attitudes can be staggering. Go into a shop to buy a pair of THB 150 sunglasses, and it really is "I love you, yeah, yeah, yeah."

However, pop into a bank to open an account with THB 800,000 which, for visa purposes, will not be touched for 3 months, and it feels like "That'll be the day"!:lol:

Have to say tho' the difference in attitudes can be staggering. Go into a shop to buy a pair of THB 150 sunglasses, and it really is "I love you, yeah, yeah, yeah."

However, pop into a bank to open an account with THB 800,000 which, for visa purposes, will not be touched for 3 months, and it feels like "That'll be the day"!:lol:

Bloody peasants.

BoA ATMs were always most on the island. Many directly at the 7/11s, Tesco has two. There are 2 deposit machines on Chaweng. No other bank has that, I guess. Apart that sometimes it's a bit hard to push the buttoms, it's sooo convenient. You can even pay for a ferry ticket. They are the true 7/11s of the ATMs.

HI there i opened a SCB one on a tourist visa all i needed was an address and mobile number and passport

same same with kasikon / k-bank, though you have to buy the atm card

free to make withdrawls form same area, 15b from k-bank atms from other parts of thailand

1999 - and only one 7-11 ... next to Nathon market!

Edited by robsamui

:clap2:

Well rememebered I had forgotten

:offtopic2: but nostalgia - aaahhhh

i've had a personal and several business accounts at scb big c branch for over 4 years and never in my life have i had to deal with such complete and total lack of banking knowledge and service. not the people to go to if you need actual real banking services. might be ok if you only have a deposit once every few months and just withdraw funds via atm card. in spite of 4 years of work permits and direct deposits into that same bank, i apparently only qualify for a "credit" card if i deposit a separate 100,000thb "guarantee".

oddly enough, kasikorn bank next to the gas station in mae nam, where i've done no banking, has given me a credit card with no deposit or guarantee. an actual credit card.

i think we've only kept business accounts at scb big c due to the days and times they are open. completely incompetent staff however so i'm looking for a new home for all of the accounts.

try buying a pair of "beach shoes" at the open air-market and it's "Beat it" biggrin.gif

:clap2:

Well rememebered I had forgotten

:offtopic2: but nostalgia - aaahhhh

I remember it swallowed my card on a Sunday back then. The fun & the dramas I had to go through

Hey, there was one next to Laemdin market.