1,000 Boats To Push Flood Waters From Chao Phraya River

george

Please lah. Take the boats out of the water and the river will sure flow faster.

OMG Please, Please, Please if this is televised please post it .... I have not had this much fun since the pigs ate my little brother....

The motorized bathtubs practically drained the entire river dry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLeywAoX19Q

That's right, take everything away that block the river.

But isn't it wonderful, this land can stand, and not to bad with people that have no knowledge.

So we can replace our politician with any people who want a job and save a lot of money.

Than the politicans can carry water from the ricefields to the sea, a buckets chain from Nakon Sawan to Pattaya beach.

But I feel sad for the poor lost Land and home and hope the persons in charge get the bill for.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Just looking at that video is very informative. The boats seem to do absolutely nothing. Surprise!!

It should be very easy to test: Check the flow rate before the boat, behind the propeller. and 10m downriver. I bet 10m downriver the flow rate at the surface will the the same as before the boats. Deeper in the water, things can only be worse..

I guess also two things might explain it: First the kinetic energy of water seems to be way too high to be impacted by a few propellers. Second, if you were able to generate enough power to affect the flow rate locally then the faster water would push up against the slower water downstream and cause a tsunami wave... in that sense, lucky it doesn't work.

Something is not right here, is there any scientific basis for this?

Any middle school physics class can calculate something is not right.

The Chao Phrya river flows around 3,500 cubic meters per second.

The best turbopumps operate at 0.2-0.3 cubic meters per second.

Even with 1000 boats we are looking at 200-300 cubic meters per second tops at one place or stretch.

Unlike gravity the boats operate only for a certain distance and energy is needed.

The boats will have to be placed strategically possibly within meters of each other all the way to the ocean.

I do not think the fuel needed is worth it.

How many barrels of gas is needed to run 1000 boats for 2-3 days continuously?

On CNN somebody called "trulythai" tell his mother's story dated 1942 - she was riding boat around LumbiniPark and DusitThani!

Can you imagine this? it was last truly big flood they say,but Bangkok that time was like village.

May be we should all write cheques for Thai Red Cross instead of wasting our energy on posts here?

I hope Thais do not read ThaiVisa?

They might be upset.

This so-called Science minister and his stupid idea of the 1000 boats - laughing stock for everybody who's been through elementary school - reminds me of a quotation the city mayor of Hua Hin made in a local newspaper. Speaking about the waste-management for Hua Hin, he said that they now have a way to recycle all plastic waste and REVERSE IT BACK INTO CRUDE OIL ! I could not believe this came from the brain and mouth of a higly ranking official. It gives me an idea of what these carrierists have actually learned during their school and university years. Since people like them ALWAYS pass university tests, no wonder such brilliant ideas are on the rise. I just hope that the world media don t leave such a nonsense uncommented and proove their ideas worthless.

On CNN somebody called "trulythai" tell his mother's story dated 1942 - she was riding boat around LumbiniPark and DusitThani!

Can you imagine this? it was last truly big flood they say,but Bangkok that time was like village.

Yeah, a village of around 1,000,000. See image of population chart, attachment, from 'Case Study of Bangkok ' PDF attachment.

May be we should all write cheques for Thai Red Cross instead of wasting our energy on posts here?

They might be upset.

If you think it's a waste of energy to post here, why are you? Have you written your Thai Red Cross cheque yet? The Thai people have every right to be upset, but I'd think Thai Visa posts would be far down on their list of upsetting things these days, don't you?

post-120659-0-30170500-1318465056_thumb.

CASE STUDY OF BANGKOK.pdf

My favorite flood-coverage Thai cable TV channel showed some more video of the S & T Minister's Phraya-churning experiment this morning. My resident Thai translator said that video was from this morning and that the effort would be on-going for an unspecified (lost in translation) period of time. Hopefully, it will terminated ASAP.

One of the boats looked to be a tugboat similar to those seen earlier, but it was tied to a concrete mooring point away from shore instead of alongside the shore. Will we ever see a comprehensive, in-depth report of this experiment instead of just random shots of a few boats churning away?

Yeah, a village of around 1,000,000. See image of population chart, attachment, from 'Case Study of Bangkok ' PDF attachment.

They might be upset.

If you think it's a waste of energy to post here, why are you? Have you written your Thai Red Cross cheque yet? The Thai people have every right to be upset, but I'd think Thai Visa posts would be far down on their list of upsetting things these days, don't you?

Not long time ago,right at the beginning of SukhumvitRd there was mansion with grassland in front belonging to Mr.Nana and white goats grassing there.

Yes,you could say so: one million people village with low rise everywhere,gardens,fields no urban facilities,klongs everywhere.Thai poster in CNN "trulythai" used this phrase - village,and he knows better.

Thai people today deserve more then sheer mockery you serve them in this thread,they need at least moral support if not your cheques.

Not long time ago,right at the beginning of SukhumvitRd there was mansion with grassland in front belonging to Mr.Nana and white goats grassing there.

Yes,you could say so: one million people village with low rise everywhere,gardens,fields no urban facilities,klongs everywhere.Thai poster in CNN "trulythai" used this phrase - village,and he knows better.

Thai people today deserve more then sheer mockery you serve them in this thread,they need at least moral support if not your cheques.

I had no intention mocking. Just trying to set the record straight. If a Thai poster on CNN says it was a village you believed him/her without doing your own independent research?

The low-level living, if that was indeed the case, in the Bangkok 'village' probably exacerbated the situation for them. I'd bet it was the 'economic' capitol of Thailand then, as it is now, and its flooding is not to be trivialized by referring to it as a 'village', especially when so many people were affected.

Posts such as yours, which do not cite sources, misrepresent history and often ignore reality, contribute to making Thai Visa a waste of energy, IHMO.

That video footage from 1945 was fascinating, with little boats floating around Victory Monument. ..... So let me do some quick math here. That was 66 years ago , from when the capital was massively flooded. You would think in that interval that the Thai government would have come up with a flood plan that actually works, ie dams, extensive levies, etc. Instead the Thai people get useless solutions like this 1000 boats ( although actually looks like 6 boats) churning up the river. At the same time billions of baht are being wasted on submarines. If I was a Thai person sitting in my flooded house right now, I would be really pissed off. The purpose of a government is to make the lives of the people better, not to fill the pockets of the people running the government. Sad really.........

Edited by EyesWideOpen

The boats will have to be placed strategically possibly within meters of each other all the way to the ocean.

I do not think the fuel needed is worth it.

How many barrels of gas is needed to run 1000 boats for 2-3 days continuously?

even IF the theory worked , a boat breaks down ,in the middle of the chain ,then all the work is lost from the boats that were before it in the chain because a broken boat cannot pass the accelerated water to the next boat for further acceleration

:)

I had no intention mocking. Just trying to set the record straight. If a Thai poster on CNN says it was a village you believed him/her without doing your own independent research?

The low-level living, if that was indeed the case, in the Bangkok 'village' probably exacerbated the situation for them. I'd bet it was the 'economic' capitol of Thailand then, as it is now, and its flooding is not to be trivialized by referring to it as a 'village', especially when so many people were affected.

Posts such as yours, which do not cite sources, misrepresent history and often ignore reality, contribute to making Thai Visa a waste of energy, IHMO.

+1 Rawr! :)

That video footage from 1945 was fascinating, with little boats floating around Victory Monument. ..... So let me do some quick math here. That was 66 years ago , from when the capital was massively flooded. You would think in that interval that the Thai government would have come up with a flood plan that actually works, ie dams, extensive levies, etc. Instead the Thai people get useless solutions like this 1000 boats ( although actually looks like 6 boats) churning up the river. At the same time billions of baht are being wasted on submarines. If I was a Thai person sitting in my flooded house right now, I would be really pissed off. The purpose of a government is to make the lives of the people better, not to fill the pockets of the people running the government. Sad really.........

if you think this goverment is wasting cash ,stop reading after this paragraph or you will know

how much money they have just wasted spent wisely ordering army tanks from europe .............

why are they asking other countries for aid (money) ?? while sending so many billions to europe

for new toys for the army.........

22px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.pngThailand: March 2011, Royal Thai Army placed an order for 200 T-84s to replace existing U.S made M41A3. Up to 200 may be acquired. Although, no officially announcement is released from the Royal Thai Army yet.[8][9] So far, the government has just approved 7.155 billion Baht to purchase the first 49 T-84 Oplot main battle tanks to be assigned to the 2nd Cavalry battalion (Royal Guard at Fort Chakkraphongse, Prachinburi), the 4th Cavalry Battalion (Royal Guard at Kiakkai, Bangkok), the 8th Cavalry battalion (Fort Suranari, Nakhon Ratchasima), and the 9th Cavalry Battalion (Fort Ekathotsarot, Phitsanuloke). [10

OMG Please, Please, Please if this is televised please post it .... I have not had this much fun since the pigs ate my little brother....

Please lah. Take the boats out of the water and the river will sure flow faster.

That's right, take everything away that block the river.

But isn't it wonderful, this land can stand, and not to bad with people that have no knowledge.

So we can replace our politician with any people who want a job and save a lot of money.

Than the politicans can carry water from the ricefields to the sea, a buckets chain from Nakon Sawan to Pattaya beach.

But I feel sad for the poor lost Land and home and hope the persons in charge get the bill for.

The bill for the whole operation falls onto the shoulders of taxpayers and not the Science Minister Plodprasop.

Although he's the richest Cabinet Minister in Yingluck's Cabinet (supposedly even more rich than her) and has declared assets approach A Billion Baht, his share of the bill will be shared by millions of Thais and foreigners.

My favorite flood-coverage Thai cable TV channel showed some more video of the S & T Minister's Phraya-churning experiment this morning. My resident Thai translator said that video was from this morning and that the effort would be on-going for an unspecified (lost in translation) period of time. Hopefully, it will terminated ASAP.

<snip>

The longer it goes on, the greater the bill for taxpayers as well as the more mockery of Thailand on the world stage that will occur.

So far, it's been damaged by Yingluck's and Thaksin's cousin, Foreign Minister Surapong, requesting Japanese visas for his fugitive relative even before he's warmed his office chair and now we have the Science Minister Plodprasop coming up with his harebrained scheme.

Sadly, Thailand's taking it on the chin with these incompetent Cabinet Clowns.

Edited by Buchholz

if you think this goverment is wasting cash ,stop reading after this paragraph or you will know

how much money they have just wasted spent wisely ordering army tanks from europe .............

why are they asking other countries for aid (money) ?? while sending so many billions to europe

22px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.pngThailand: March 2011, Royal Thai Army placed an order for 200 T-84s to replace existing U.S made M41A3. Up to 200 may be acquired. Although, no officially announcement is released from the Royal Thai Army yet.[8][9] So far, the government has just approved 7.155 billion Baht to purchase the first 49 T-84 Oplot main battle tanks to be assigned to the 2nd Cavalry battalion (Royal Guard at Fort Chakkraphongse, Prachinburi), the 4th Cavalry Battalion (Royal Guard at Kiakkai, Bangkok), the 8th Cavalry battalion (Fort Suranari, Nakhon Ratchasima), and the 9th Cavalry Battalion (Fort Ekathotsarot, Phitsanuloke). [10

Yes, we all know what the tanks in Bangkok are needed for! It's my guess they are going to use them as flood barriers. :whistling:

I hope the tanks had the 'snorkel' option, at least. And how about those 'submarines'? Seems like a wise purchase to me in hindsight. Why aren't they out in the Phraya churning water? At periscope depth, of course.

+1 Rawr! :)

Agreed, since you so succinctly prompted me to reconsider.

I hope the tanks had the 'snorkel' option, at least. And how about those 'submarines'? Seems like a wise purchase to me in hindsight. Why aren't they out in the Phraya churning water? At periscope depth, of course.

these specific tanks have a temperature controlled aircon system so they can be used at temperatures of minus 50 degrees ,in case thailand ever needs to invade the arctic circle or somewhere that might get that cold

these specific tanks have a temperature controlled aircon system so they can be used at temperatures of minus 50 degrees ,in case thailand ever needs to invade the arctic circle or somewhere that might get that cold

Yes ... pursuing those pesky, drive-in-freezer looters.

As any schoolboy can tell you it is possible to put 2 pints of water into a 1 pint glass.

All you do is fill the glass with water then slowly add the 2 pints of water.

If this scheme was expanded to fill one cubic metre crates we could fill them with water and export them to some deserted country like UAE.

Thaksin could then make another fortune selling them to golf courses!

Thanks for the video post on the last pg Buchholz !

It's so 55555, lmfao ! We truly live in a magical land of wonder and mystery.

You're welcome and, yes, the Cabinet Clown Show has been wonderfully mysterious.

Who'll be next?

Looks like it's right back to Mr. Boat Propellers again... for the next act in the Show:

Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi, who issued a flood evacuation alert which turned out to be a false alarm

he's on a roll. :rolleyes:

As any schoolboy can tell you it is possible to put 2 pints of water into a 1 pint glass.

All you do is fill the glass with water then slowly add the 2 pints of water.

If this scheme was expanded to fill one cubic metre crates we could fill them with water and export them to some deserted country like UAE.

Thaksin could then make another fortune selling them to golf courses!

That should of course read "All you do is fill the glass with SAWDUST then slowly add the 2 pints of water"

Something's wrong. It doesn't seem to be working now:

Update:

Overflowing Chao Phraya reaches record high

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Overflowing-Chao-Phraya-reaches-record-high-30167666.html

Edited by Buchholz

No it is not feasible. The PTP minister is a laughing-stock on forums all over Thailand and most especially Thai language forums.

Actually, he's the Science and Technology MInister. This really is one of the most pitifully stupid things I've ever read about.

Equally pitiful is that he probably has the support of Yingluck.