1,000 Boats To Push Flood Waters From Chao Phraya River

george

Marine Dept actually knows something about boats...saying this:

Marine Traffic in Ayutthaya Province Closed Til Oct 15

The Marine Department has ordered the halt of river traffic along the Chao Phraya and Pasak rivers to prevent further damage and to prevent further inundation of communities and historical sites along the rivers.

Marine Department Director-General Tawanrat Onsira disclosed that the department has temporarily ordered segments of the Chao Phraya and Pa Sak rivers off limits to boats.

The ban is the department’s attempt to facilitate the water diversion operation and to prevent the water from further sloshing onto inundated residential areas and historical sites along the rivers.

So our esteemed member's idea is basically the exact opposite of this. Brilliance!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This entire boat idea is bogus, especially when the answer is staring everyone in the face.

Simply reduce local sea levels and the water will fall into the gulf of Thailand. This might involve changing the moon's orbital radius somewhat, but no biggie.

I always look for SATIRE when I read incredibly dumb crap like this, but today I don't see it. So that can only mean, someone is trying to out-dumb the current dumbest person in Thailand.

I wish him luck in the competition. There are a lot of fierce competitors, including the 60+ year old falang who tried to rob the bank in Chiang Mai.

On a serious note, could all the flooding be due to Khmer black magic?

You see dumb.

But people told Galileo he was wrong when he said the earth was round.

people laughed at Steve Jobs when he came out with the iPod.

Maybe our science minister will have the last laugh when he proves that 300 years of theories based on the concept of gravity are in fact wrong.

Plus also, he can do that dance, you know, the one that the baby does and slowly circles around; that's some straight up mid 90s sharing semi spam internet shizzle!

I can not argue that. So I'm going to raise my glass to this guy and hope he can disprove 300 years of scientific theory, thus winning every international award there is to win.

But if he doesn't, he's still going down as one of the dumbest to every walk the face of the earth. :whistling:

I don't think so because I believe he is probably in a Win/Win situation using current government logic:

Win: If there isn't significant flooding in Bangkok, then it could (will?) be attributed to some degree to his water acceleration experiment.

Win: If there is significant flooding, he'll claim there weren't enough boats (100 vs 1000) so he's off-the-hook and his budget might get increased for better forecasting, flood control and, of course, the NEXT water acceleration experiment. There's enough plausible doubt, like AGW, that all he has to do is phony-up a consensus and call everyone else 'deniers'.

Obama used this approach with high unemployment in the US. If his stimulus spending reduced unemployment (it didn't), then he was a genius. If it didn't, then it was because not enough was spent so another 1/2 trillion was requested (but not yet granted).

BTW, I don't think he's disputing gravity. His hypothesis employs energy transfer, inertia and fluid dynamics engineering with a little Water Goddess thrown in to keep the superstitious happy.

This entire boat idea is bogus, especially when the answer is staring everyone in the face.

Simply reduce local sea levels and the water will fall into the gulf of Thailand. This might involve changing the moon's orbital radius somewhat, but no biggie.

Get together with stevomagnino and work out the details. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Get together with stevomagnino and work out the details. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

I suggest that they fill up the boats with water from the ocean and ship it to dubai - it can free up much needed space in the gulf of thailand and allow the rivers to flow out faster.

so what time does this all happen today then? Can't wait!

First photos and perhaps in another hour or so...Bangkok will be saved. :rolleyes:

Give Plodprasop a Nobel

Link to Photo

Navy officers use ship propellers to speed up water flow in Chao Phraya River in Samut Prakan province October 11, 2011.

Reuters

Edited by Buchholz

Marine Dept actually knows something about boats...saying this:

Marine Traffic in Ayutthaya Province Closed Til Oct 15

The Marine Department has ordered the halt of river traffic along the Chao Phraya and Pasak rivers to prevent further damage and to prevent further inundation of communities and historical sites along the rivers.

Marine Department Director-General Tawanrat Onsira disclosed that the department has temporarily ordered segments of the Chao Phraya and Pa Sak rivers off limits to boats.

The ban is the department's attempt to facilitate the water diversion operation and to prevent the water from further sloshing onto inundated residential areas and historical sites along the rivers.

So our esteemed member's idea is basically the exact opposite of this. Brilliance!

The ban is the department's attempt to facilitate the water diversion operation and to prevent the water from further sloshing onto inundated residential areas and historical sites along the rivers.

Makes sense to me. Isn't the 'water diversion operation' another term for the Minister of Science Experimentation's 100-boat, water-churning exercise - the subject of this topic? They want only his boats churning-up the Phraya so that potential flood-wall damage is minimized. It does make me wonder exactly where they're putting the boats. I saw a really good real-time photo of the 300-meter levee breach at Nakhon Sawan and the aftermath so I'm a believer!

First photos and perhaps in another hour or so...Bangkok will be saved. :rolleyes:

Give Plodprasop a Nobel

Link to Photo

Navy officers use ship propellers to speed up water flow in Chao Phraya River in Samut Prakan province October 11, 2011.

Reuters

Hopefully, the pointy-end is facing upstream. Is the officer holding the Minister's highly-detailed scientific paper describing the physics theory and engineering behind the experiment? Or is it a detailed record of real-time water velocity measurements being taken at pertinent points relevant to the experiment? I guess we can rule out the latter. Nice picture, though. Framing and exposure are excellent!

Film at 11!

Edited by MaxYakov

In this other Reuters photo, it seems they've got some huge ships in the Chao Phraya River.

Nearly as large as the previously mentioned Japanese battleship Yamato.

http://srnnews.townhall.com/photos/view/energy__environment/1013/navy_officers_use_ship_propellers_to_speed_up_water_flow_in_chao_phraya_river_in_samut_prakan_province/56eda163-806f-4650-8659-87e50b21f57c/

This one provides a good perspective of the sizes involved in this boats versus river saga

http://srnnews.townhall.com/photos/view/energy__environment/1013/navy_officers_use_ship_propellers_to_speed_up_water_flow_in_chao_phraya_river_in_samut_prakan_province/6ebf20f3-78e9-4ccc-85d5-a24acefe8c78/

Edited by Buchholz

Maybe get 10,000 black swans to beat their wings in unison

and waft the river waters on their way faster.

Governments 'water diversion operation'

Likely intended to make them look like

they have some idea... A

NY idea how to deal with this,

or diverting the publics attention

from the incoming water.

Edited by animatic

Give Plodprasop a Nobel

Link to Photo

Reuters

Hopefully, the pointy-end is facing upstream. Is the officer holding the Minister's highly-detailed scientific paper describing the physics theory and engineering behind the experiment? Or is it a detailed record of real-time water velocity measurements being taken at pertinent points relevant to the experiment? I guess we can rule out the latter. Nice picture, though. Framing and exposure are excellent!

Film at 11!

I was just looking the photo of the naval boats at work on the river program. Clearly the naval officers do not spend a lot of time on their ships. No one in their right mind would stand next to a dock line under tension like he is doing. If the line snaps or lets go at the other end, it will come back and cut you in two.... ( Am formerly a ship captain)

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Give Plodprasop a Nobel

Link to Photo

Reuters

Film at 11!

I was just looking the photo of the naval boats at work on the river program. Clearly the naval officers do not spend a lot of time on their ships. No one in their right mind would stand next to a dock line under tension like he is doing. If the line snaps or lets go at the other end, it will come back and cut you in two.... ( Am formerly a ship captain)

Yes good point.

I've seen one snap and take a leg off in a fraction of a second.

Fortunately it was reattached, but the point is valid.

That's just embarrassing.

Yes good point.

I've seen one snap and take a leg off in a fraction of a second.

Fortunately it was reattached, but the point is valid.

fortunately reattatched the leg or the mooring rope ?:)

In this other Reuters photo, it seems they've got some huge ships in the Chao Phraya River.

http://srnnews.townh...9-87e50b21f57c/

This one provides a good perspective of the sizes involved in this boats versus river saga

http://srnnews.townh...5-a24acefe8c78/

Thanks for the links! Words fail me. There is a 'Jaws' quote that comes to mind, though: 'I think you need a bigger boat'. Anyone remember the situation when Schneider said it? There's never a battleship around when one needs one, it seems.

Edited by MaxYakov

Thanks for the links! Words fail me. There is a 'Jaws' quote that comes to mind, though: 'I think you need a bigger boat'. Anyone remember the situation when Schneider said it? There's never a battleship around when one needs one, it seems.

Showed the pictures to the Thai staff and they laughed and on their own stated 'this isn't going to make any difference'.

There are very strange happenings on the river today. I just saw a squadron of 9 pigs flying in a perfect delta formation.

As they passed over Sathorn Bridge they executed a perfect (pork) barrel roll that really took the bacon.

Next we will probably see helicopters trying to blow the water out to sea.

Edited by JayBangkok

There are very strange happenings on the river today. I just saw a squadron of 9 pigs flying in a perfect delta formation.

As they passed over Sathorn Bridge they executed a perfect (pork) barrel roll that really took the bacon.

Good one! But we've got to be careful about eye-witness verification of his science experiment. Choppers, eh? I was thinking of 10 or 12 747s at extremely low altitude up the channel. If nothing else it'd be one helluva an air show.

Showed the pictures to the Thai staff and they laughed and on their own stated 'this isn't going to make any difference'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8

The great river flush experiment came to a sudden halt today when a rented aircraft carrier piloted by Sad Plop Pro got stuck in the mouth of the Chao Phraya River. It took several hours to pull the large ship back out to sea.

post-116788-0-79600400-1318330296_thumb.

Heh, heh. It's just one of those trivial 'Unintended Consequences'. That starboard list looks serious. Do you think the 7th Fleet should report this incident or do the usual cover-up? Yes ... several hours and Superman. Speaking of Supe, where is Nisa these days, anyway? He could have been a real asset with that carrier-cork.

Edited by MaxYakov

Good one! But we've got to be careful about eye-witness verification of his science experiment. Choppers, eh? I was thinking of 10 or 12 747s at extremely low altitude up the channel. If nothing else it'd be one helluva an air show.

10 or 12 747's would be too much of a blow job!. This is a job for choppers.

What is needed is 8 helicopters, 9 sheep dogs and a Yorkshire sheep farmer with his whistle coupled to a VHF radio.

We would also need interpreters for both the farmers and dogs and the sheep dogs would have to be promoted to Group Captain so the pilots don't lose face

10 or 12 747's would be too much of a blow job!. This is a job for choppers.

What is needed is 8 helicopters, 9 sheep dogs and a Yorkshire sheep farmer with his whistle coupled to a VHF radio.

We would also need interpreters for both the farmers and dogs and the sheep dogs would have to be promoted to Group Captain so the pilots don't lose face

I think I've just been out-bizzarred. Of course, you'll be submitting your plan to the good Minister before Bangkok goes under? It looks like a real winner compared to what he's got going now.

Why don't they use the submarines they picked up from Germany. It may be the only time they will ever be put into use.

They don't have them yet. Maybe they can use them next year. They won't want them to work too well though. They might not be able to get out.

So what happened? I had the news on all night and not one mention or image of the breathtaking idea. Were even the news channels too embarrassed to run the story?

As ex Military, I can only imagine for a second the sheer horror of the Navy personnel being ordered to participate in something that could only have been code named Operation Futility. The Science Minister must be in line for the Academic equivalent of the Darwin Awards.

When the bridges get relocated a bit further upstream, they can wait 'til after the floods to pour new footings. Perhaps use choppers or zeppelins to lift them up while the concrete sets up.

Edited by maidu

So what happened? I had the news on all night and not one mention or image of the breathtaking idea. Were even the news channels too embarrassed to run the story?

As ex Military, I can only imagine for a second the sheer horror of the Navy personnel being ordered to participate in something that could only have been code named Operation Futility. The Science Minister must be in line for the Academic equivalent of the Darwin Awards.

Do some google and you will find out that the science minister has a Darwin gold card.

As for the quietness,that's the usual Thai reaction when something fails.Keep quiet and hope everyone forget soon :D

Do some google and you will find out that the science minister has a Darwin gold card.

As for the quietness,that's the usual Thai reaction when something fails.Keep quiet and hope everyone forget soon :D

dam_n !!!! I thought the minister would either come forward to admit it was a mistake in judgment and cancel the whole excercise. Or run the exercise and deal with the failure of it. I never counted upon a news blackout........These government guys really are pretty tricky.