Iphone 4S Availability In Thailand?

hinhua

1323478156[/url]' post='4902225']
1323393572[/url]' post='4899937']

Looks like I've got a spare iPhone 4S 32GB in black. Ideal christmas present for your gf or even yourself !!

Purchased in UK so THB 30,000

Will be in Phuket/Krabi area 11th to 16th, Bangkok on 17th & 18th and Pattaya after that

Nice! I'll give you 20k for it, pm if you're interested. Will come pick up.

At that price I'll keep it !

Looks like all models will be in very short supply for a few months - as per the iPhone 4 launch !

Guaranteed for Christmas delivery 1x 32GB iphone 4s black in original sealed box .... Only thb 30,000 - about same price as MBK ! Y

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I've got a spare iPhone 4S 32GB in black. Ideal christmas present for your gf or even yourself !!

Purchased in UK so THB 30,000

Will be in Phuket/Krabi area 11th to 16th, Bangkok on 17th & 18th and Pattaya after that

Nice! I'll give you 20k for it, pm if you're interested. Will come pick up.

At that price I'll keep it !

Looks like all models will be in very short supply for a few months - as per the iPhone 4 launch !

Guaranteed for Christmas delivery 1x 32GB iphone 4s black in original sealed box .... Only thb 30,000 - about same price as MBK ! Y

No way this time iphone will be short supply. Apple even selling it on Thailand online store starting tomorrow. With that 30,000baht for 32Gb, U can keep it to yourself!

I online chat with Dtac customer support a moment ago. They told me customer can buy from any Dtac Center and Dtac Service Center nationwide.

Dtac price plan is out.

Phone price is basically the same. But the Super Deal is very attractive. I think I will goes for Dtac instead of Truemove. Going to Dtac shop to pre-order 1 today :)

Super Deal would be not too bad. But the main problem I think is that DTAC 3G coverage is minimal, or have they improved it? It used to only work downtown bangkok. And iPhone on 2G is no fun. Also the data is capped at 2GB - Ok as long as you're not tethering, I guess, but less than True's 3GB.

Apple Online Store Thailand accepts orders since around 9.40 AM this morning.

Prices are great and much cheaper as from the Providers at:

16GB: 20,900 THB

32GB: 24,900 THB

64GB: 28,900 THB

Waiting time to get it free shipped is 1-2 weeks at the moment. Hurry before stock is gone...

Apple Online Store Thailand accepts orders since around 9.40 AM this morning.

Prices are great and much cheaper as from the Providers at:

16GB: 20,900 THB

32GB: 24,900 THB

64GB: 28,900 THB

Waiting time to get it free shipped is 1-2 weeks at the moment. Hurry before stock is gone...

I'm just about to order right now - BUT, the Thai Apple Online Store now says shipping in 2-3 weeks

Got my order in thru the Thai Apple Online Store ... somehow they accepted my aussie credit card, even though Australia was not on the Billing Address list of countries.

20,900bht delivered is a really good price i reckon for a 16gb (4s white) - I'm glad I waited, and did not get one thru MBK, HK or Canada.

Can't work out how they got an estimated delivery date of Jan 12th tho - thats more than the 2-3weeks they said on the order form (maybe they work on business days & don't include weekends - that would make it 20 business days from todays date), although i reckon it will be here before Jan 12th.

Just ordered my iPhone 4S from the Apple Store online and received an expected delivery date of between 29/12/2011 - 06/01/2012. Indeed it is cheaper than buying from AIS, DTAC or True, plus you don't have to (1) book a reservation for the phone (2) lay down a deposit (3) queue for an hour to pick it up, as was the case when I bought my iPhone 4.

Seems sort of odd that Apple would undercut their dealers' prices.

Can't speak to the 4S but I did just have my first experience with the online Apple Store Thailand and it was very good. Items arrived three days after order, well packaged, and not just left with the condo management... the delivery guy called me on the phone and insisted I come down to pick the stuff up. dam_n right.

A bit of a hassle with paying though. They wouldn't accept my Bangkok Bank VISA card. Or rather, Bangkok Bank wouldn't accept them: apple.com/th doesn't employ the "Verified by VISA" system so Bangkok Bank denied the charge. I call Apple Thailand about this and I get a very nice woman who speaks English as well as I can ever hope to speak Thai on the other end and I query her about the wisdom of having an online store in Thailand that effectively doesn't accept charges from the country's largest bank. I eventually get her to agree that it's a pretty crazy situation, and she promises to me that she'll take the matter up with her superiors. Whatever.

So instead I use my Bank of America card back in the U.S. to process the order, and the order goes through. Apple charges me in baht, but gives me an exchange rate of 31.27 (on Thursday) which is a very good rate. But then BofA tacks on their 3% so effective rate becomes 30.36, but it's still decent... I don't have the usual feeling of being butt-raped when dealing with these sort of transactions.

If I weren't spending so much money, I'd get this phone. But I got a 3gs, and it's (mostly) fine for what I need. I pretty much went through what my routine is on the phone, and asked myself, does Siri actually make any of this easier? And the answer is no. Retina display? What's the point of paying for something I now need to wear glasses to tell that it's any better?

is there a place to just go and buy it now, for a good price? DTAC, TRUE? do you have to make a reservation?

I need it now

You can go to any Dtac center to buy now. They do allow buy without any data package. BUT, U have to Q very early.

I got my wife set on 16 Dec. We went to Central Airport before the gate open. Rush to Dtac center. Q and got only 32GB /64GB left. No choice but to buy the 32Gb white.

Sign up for super deal M since my wife only use for FB, Whatapp, Line and Twitter. 1Gb is more than enough.

I happened to be at AIS Paragon early Monday morning and they were handing out the "Q numbers" for iPhone 4S. I happened to be there and got one for a 64GB Black model. Then I saw the sign that says that every morning at 10:15AM they would hand out the "Q numbers" for the iPhones they had in stock that day. I think all together they handed out about 60 numbers. However there were a lot more people picking up new iPhones than were holding the numbers. So I suppose the others had made reservations earlier or something. They were selling the phones with or without a plan. I think there was about a 1000 baht premium if you bought the phone without a plan.

• 3 weeks later...

My Thai colleagues queued for them from DTAC and after 2 weeks would do anything to get rid of them.

Fairly heavy business users and the battery is gone by lunchtime just using them as a phone. One of them complained to Apple just few days back asking them to take his 4S away and give him a 4...not sure how hes getting on.

I will stick with the 4 for now. I can do without Siri......battery life much more important

My Thai colleagues queued for them from DTAC and after 2 weeks would do anything to get rid of them.

Fairly heavy business users and the battery is gone by lunchtime just using them as a phone. One of them complained to Apple just few days back asking them to take his 4S away and give him a 4...not sure how hes getting on.

I will stick with the 4 for now. I can do without Siri......battery life much more important

Interesting - seems to be a problem with this model, despite the fact that the built in battery is actually bigger than the one in the 4.

Tell 'em to turn off notifications. Then at least they can still use it as a phone and battery life improves dramatically.

According to this site, the problem seems to be that the phone never enters standby:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/12/02/how-to-fix-bad-iphone-4s-battery-life-in-5-minutes/

I am sure they'll fix this in software in the not too distant future. It's kind of disappointing regardless ...

Edited by nikster

Interesting - seems to be a problem with this model, despite the fact that the built in battery is actually bigger than the one in the 4.

Tell 'em to turn off notifications. Then at least they can still use it as a phone and battery life improves dramatically.

According to this site, the problem seems to be that the phone never enters standby:

http://www.gottabemo...e-in-5-minutes/

I am sure they'll fix this in software in the not too distant future. It's kind of disappointing regardless ...

I noticed when you open an app it keeps it "open" sort of like when you open a program in windows and then just minimize it but it's still running in the background. To see which apps are currently running on your iphone you can double click the home button and it'll open up the application toolbar. Then you can shut down apps you aren't currently using. This cut down on my battery use by a lot.

Plus for god's sakes turn down the brightness and optimize your settings. A lot of people are just using it as is from the box and complaining because they haven't tweaked it yet. I think the Iphone 4s is unforgiving in this way..if you haven't optimized your settings turning off wireless when you're not using it etc.. it will drain your battery like none other.

http://www.gottabemo...e-in-5-minutes/

I noticed when you open an app it keeps it "open" sort of like when you open a program in windows and then just minimize it but it's still running in the background. To see which apps are currently running on your iphone you can double click the home button and it'll open up the application toolbar. Then you can shut down apps you aren't currently using. This cut down on my battery use by a lot.

Plus for god's sakes turn down the brightness and optimize your settings. A lot of people are just using it as is from the box and complaining because they haven't tweaked it yet. I think the Iphone 4s is unforgiving in this way..if you haven't optimized your settings turning off wireless when you're not using it etc.. it will drain your battery like none other.

Partially correct wintermule; it depends on what type of app it is, but most apps in the 'multitasking' dock are not actually running. Generally, when you close an app, it closes completely but its last state is saved into memory, so they only impact your phone by using up extra memory. It is not using any CPU cycles, and, thus, none of your battery.

Some apps do use specific multitasking APIs which will result in battery drain. These APIs provide services through the OS, so it still isn't really the app that is using up resources, but they have instructed the OS to maintain some service which will use CPU cycles or other subsystem and therefore use battery. These will include any VOIP apps that can receive calls (OS keeps a VOIP connection open), any app the maintains location awareness when closed (GPS, Google Latitude, etc), apps that continue to stream and/or play music in the background, apps that use background task completion (i.e. uploading videos, but the process terminates when the task is complete) and, of course, local and push notifications (though as nickster mentioned, these OS services are always running unless disabled in Settings).

So, if you have apps like Safari, Maps, or say Samsung Remote still 'running', they won't result in additional battery drain; however, if you leave Skype or Latitude or LastFM running, then you will see additional battery drain. I've found VOIP apps like Skype really tend to suck the battery when they are left running in the background, while music stream apps are not extremely draining.

Your other suggestions regarding screen brightness and Wi-Fi were spot on the mark though. If gkinbkk's Thai colleagues are fairly heavy business users, then likely they'll be breaking a few golden rules of battery preservation:

• Bluetooth continuously searches for devices when it is turned on, so turn it off if it is not required.
  • Wi-Fi does the same, so turn it off if you won't be needing it for a while. Ditto with Asking to Join Networks.
  • The screen takes massive amounts of power, so lower the brightness, turn on auto brightness, and always lock the screen when the device is not in use.
  • Vibrate also uses a lot of power, so turn it off (I have mine set to only vibrate when the phone is in silent mode).
  • Turn off Location Services on all but the very few apps that really need it (e.g. Maps).
  • Push email such as iCloud or Microsoft Exchange use masses of power, so turn it off if you do not need emails as soon as they are sent; and fetch emails less often.
  • Push notifications also use a lot of power. Turn them off, or limiting the number of apps allowed to use them.
  • Turn off unnecessary sounds, such as the keyboard clicks, lock sound, and camera click.

Sorry to go so off topic, but I hope this helps!

Edited by jamesbrock

Back on topic though - I'm seriously trying to resist the 4S, but my resolve is waning! The improvement over the 4 that I'm really interested in is the new camera and optics - but is that really worth twenty-odd thousand baht??

I guess we'll see when I get to Bangkok in 11 days...

Back on topic though - I'm seriously trying to resist the 4S, but my resolve is waning! The improvement over the 4 that I'm really interested in is the new camera and optics - but is that really worth twenty-odd thousand baht??

I guess we'll see when I get to Bangkok in 11 days...

Camera is good..... 3GS was crap in comparison. In all honesty I am loving Siri . I dictate alot of SMS and email now, tell it to set alarms etc.

But u will need 3G or wifi for it to work

Edited by skippybangkok

Just received my iPhone 4s from the online Apple Store. The new camera and optics are far better than iPhone 4, particularly in low light. I snapped a few pics using both and there is no comparison. the iPhone 4 always had a lot of noise in low light pics, and that is hugely improved with the new optics.

I wasn't sure whether I would use Siri much, but now that I have it, it's worth the price of admission for me. While Siri doesn't do location based searches in Thailand [yet?], it saves loads of time and multiple taps when you need to call someone, send a text, or set an appointment in your calendar. It's also a great time waster right now, although I am sure the novelty will wear off. You can ask Siri silly questions and the replies are fun. Ask her "what are you wearing", and she comes back with "Aluminosilicate glass and stainless steel. Nice, huh?". Say that famous line from 2001 "Siri, open the pod bay doors" and you get "I'm sorry [your name]. I'm afraid I can't do that. Are you happy now?". There is a whole site of Siri-isms here: http://sirisays.org/

One other thing I have discovered is the the speaker sound quality is better and much louder. I listen to internet radio sometimes and that is a nice bonus.

Anyway, this of it this way: you can sell your iPhone 4, then use that money against the price of an iPhone 4s so that the delta is a lot less than 20K baht.

Just received my iPhone 4s from the online Apple Store. The new camera and optics are far better than iPhone 4, particularly in low light. I snapped a few pics using both and there is no comparison. the iPhone 4 always had a lot of noise in low light pics, and that is hugely improved with the new optics.

I wasn't sure whether I would use Siri much, but now that I have it, it's worth the price of admission for me. While Siri doesn't do location based searches in Thailand [yet?], it saves loads of time and multiple taps when you need to call someone, send a text, or set an appointment in your calendar. It's also a great time waster right now, although I am sure the novelty will wear off. You can ask Siri silly questions and the replies are fun. Ask her "what are you wearing", and she comes back with "Aluminosilicate glass and stainless steel. Nice, huh?". Say that famous line from 2001 "Siri, open the pod bay doors" and you get "I'm sorry [your name]. I'm afraid I can't do that. Are you happy now?". There is a whole site of Siri-isms here: http://sirisays.org/

One other thing I have discovered is the the speaker sound quality is better and much louder. I listen to internet radio sometimes and that is a nice bonus.

Anyway, this of it this way: you can sell your iPhone 4, then use that money against the price of an iPhone 4s so that the delta is a lot less than 20K baht.

dam_n, that's not what I needed to hear!

True, that, about selling the 4. I was thinking I'd just give it to the missus, but I just bought her a new Nokia that she seems happy with... Food for thought...

Mines just fine I get a whole days use out of a charge with change standard fare for most smart phones, it's about the same as I was getting out of my Blackberry when it had all its antennas on and was performing the same tasks. One thing I have noticed is that my data use age has dropped, so for me at least who doesn't need an unlimited plan the iPhone 4s is cheaper to run than the Blackberry I was using.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Mines just fine I get a whole days use out of a charge with change standard fare for most smart phones, it's about the same as I was getting out of my Blackberry when it had all its antennas on and was performing the same tasks. One thing I have noticed is that my data use age has dropped, so for me at least who doesn't need an unlimited plan the iPhone 4s is cheaper to run than the Blackberry I was using.

Just posted this separately but my iPhone 4 suddenly had bad battery life with iOS 5.

I think the culprit was the automatic time zone setting which was _constantly_ using location services, e.g. keeping the GPS on at all times. 12 hours and my battery was gone, from previously easily 2 days.

Today, I followed a bunch of these tips here, and my battery life is now fine. Sync over WiFi and out-of-hand location services to blame, apparently.

see here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/16/ios-5-battery-life-fix-tips/

I think the culprit was the automatic time zone setting which was _constantly_ using location services, e.g. keeping the GPS on at all times. 12 hours and my battery was gone, from previously easily 2 days.

Makes sense!