Iphone 4S Availability In Thailand?

hinhua

I'm wondering when the 4S will be available in Thailand...seems like we're always one of the last territories to get the latest ones....actually was interested in buying an unlocked iPhone 4 when the 4S comes out, as the price should be reduced, or even a 3GS. In the US the 3GS will be free on a two year contract!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I just noticed there is actually an Apple forum on here! :-) it is 6am in the morning...bleary eyed and all that LOL

The vendors at MBK seem to have stock 12 hours after USA release - 10 hours if there is a good tailwind B)

I was also looking if Apple Thailand has announced a preorder link. There isn't anything. Even no mentioning of the iPhone 4S! Preorder sites are installed on Apple.com and in Germany. Those are the only Apple sites I have checked. But nada in Thailand! I guess I'll buy the Samsung Galaxy S2 ...

AS for MBK - you have to wait until they get Singapore of HK stock. The unlocked iPhone 4S will go on sale 2 weeks after the locked-with-contract version - end of October.

You absolutely don't want to buy a SIM locked 4S - you are guaranteed to regret that even if they come up with a quick unlock/hack.

Price reductions of the iPhone 4 may or may not happen before that. They'll definitely be happening by the time the 4S officially ships in Thailand, December 2011 or Jan 2012 according to here:

http://iphone.mythailandblog.com/2011/10/when-will-iphone-4s-be-released-in-thailand/

Edited by nikster

They announced the pre-order for iPhone 4 8GB, not the 4S yet.

Oh - looks like unlocked prices are already out. In the USA

iPhone 3GS 8GB: $375

iPhone 4 8GB: $549

4S 16: $649

4S 32: $749

4S 64: $849

This makes sense - it's basically the same pricing structure they had before. I think the iPhone 4 prices are a bit steep, to be honest, but the 3GS is certainly priced right. It's now 2 years old though... I was hoping the unlocked iPhone 4 would go down to $500...

Wow there's another little detail: The unlocked iPhone won't work on CDMA networks. Presumably because the US CDMA carriers don't use SIM cards. Lame!!!

Edited by nikster

Yeah, it feels as if Apple really is testing its product loyalty. This time, with this new (unchanged) price structure, same looking product and post Steve Jobs effect.

But I don't think the official Thai pricing will be that steep. There's a fine line in the Thai market where phones really just cannot go beyond that. I expect the 32GB iPhone 4S to be sold here for around 22xxx.

Yeah, it feels as if Apple really is testing its product loyalty. This time, with this new (unchanged) price structure, same looking product and post Steve Jobs effect.

But I don't think the official Thai pricing will be that steep. There's a fine line in the Thai market where phones really just cannot go beyond that. I expect the 32GB iPhone 4S to be sold here for around 22xxx.

I do not believe that. I rather believe that the 32GB iPhone 4S will be priced around 30'000 Baht. I've heard today from the Apple outlet in Pattaya that launch for Thailand will be in January 2012. There is more demand for the new 4S than it was when the 3GS was launched. One of my friends waited exactly 3 months for his iPhone 3GS to be delivered by True and that was approximately 4 months after the launch date in Thailand ... There are tons and tons of Thai kids of the rich and influential who will get them ahead of us.

In November the unlocked and contract-free versions will be launched by Apple in the U.S.A. and I will get one of those.

I do not believe that. I rather believe that the 32GB iPhone 4S will be priced around 30'000 Baht. I've heard today from the Apple outlet in Pattaya that launch for Thailand will be in January 2012. There is more demand for the new 4S than it was when the 3GS was launched. One of my friends waited exactly 3 months for his iPhone 3GS to be delivered by True and that was approximately 4 months after the launch date in Thailand ... There are tons and tons of Thai kids of the rich and influential who will get them ahead of us.

In November the unlocked and contract-free versions will be launched by Apple in the U.S.A. and I will get one of those.

30K Baht!!!... Why would you think that would be the official Apple Thailand price!... That's completely out of whak from any previous worldwide pricing model Apple has pursued...

The US unlocked price for a 32mb will be $749 ~ 23K baht... If True/AIS sell for your proposed 30K the hucksters at MBK will make a fortune off of ones coming in in suitcases...

I think Apple is moving to lower all handset prices and increase it's unit base. (Remember they make most of their money from the carriers monthly fees)

I think infernalman7's ~22K is more likely...

The interesting price will be for the 3gs... If the US unlocked price of $375 is converted to baht that comes in at less than 12K baht... I would also note the 3gs will be upgradable to iOS5!.. At that price you tap into a huge socioeconomic group of buyers...

Heck at $375 they make great stocking suffers for BF or Mom & Dad :D

Edited by sfokevin

30K Baht!!!... Why would you think that would be the official Apple Thailand price!... That's completely out of whak from any previous worldwide pricing model Apple has pursued...

The US unlocked price for a 32mb will be $749 ~ 23K baht... If True/AIS sell for your proposed 30K the hucksters at MBK will make a fortune off of ones coming in in suitcases...

I think Apple is moving to lower all handset prices and increase it's unit base. (Remember they make most of their money from the carriers monthly fees)

I think infernalman7's ~22K is more likely...

The interesting price will be for the 3gs... If the US unlocked price of $375 is converted to baht that comes in at less than 12K baht... I would also note the 3gs will be upgradable to iOS5!.. At that price you tap into a huge socioeconomic group of buyers...

Heck at $375 they make great stocking suffers for BF or Mom & Dad :D

I think Apple will be very boring and sell the 4S 16/32 for exactly the same price that they sold the 16/32 iPhone 4 for this year. And the 3GS before that. The iPhone 4 will drop to 3GS price, and the 3GS will indeed be interesting - if they get it at 11 or 12k it will eat away at the remaining BB sales, and also Android.

Just one correction: Apple does not make money from monthly carrier fees. They tried that with the very first iPhone in 2007, it was a colossal failure, not accepted by carriers world-wide, and tossed out. Apple now follows a subsidy model in the west, just like any other phone maker. The carrier subsidizes the phone, SIM-locks it, and makes the money back and more with overpriced monthly packages. Consumers seem to love it... here in Thailand of course they're mostly sold without subsidy.

You don't have to believe me, everything I said was only an expectation. But please note that any Apple resellers don't know more of these stuff than we all do. Apple doesn't tell when or where or how they are going to sell their products outside of countries where they do not have their own official stores.

And I have to say this again: Apple does not import iPhones to all Asian countries except Japan and Hong Kong. Phone operators do. So if you really want to know so badly about the pricing and the release dates, trust the information from the higher-ups at the telcos, not Apple resellers.

Image obsessed Thai kids will get their iPhone 4S from grey imports from MBK, which will be sold at some ridiculous price .. perhaps something like 50k. iPhone 4s were sold a few day after its officially released in MBK for 60k. Crazy.

Thais don't cope well with long contracts. And I believe that's a good thing, because of this

- Carriers don't charge you absurdly high prices for data and airtimes

- You get freedom of choice in terms of device. No device exclusivity = price war!

- If you want to finance, you can still finance via 0% credit card policies anyway.

- No contract, unhappy customer can always switch!

Edited by infernalman7

Thais don't cope well with long contracts. And I believe that's a good thing, because of this

- Carriers don't charge you absurdly high prices for data and airtimes

- You get freedom of choice in terms of device. No device exclusivity = price war!

- If you want to finance, you can still finance via 0% credit card policies anyway.

- No contract, unhappy customer can always switch!

+1

Exactly!

The system is infinitely better for customers than in Europe / USA. Thais got that right. I think the system in Europe / US should actually be illegal - the carriers over there should be forced to break out subsidy and calling plan charges, and not be allowed to bundle it. I mean the trick in the USA is this: They charge you absurdly high prices if you get a subsidized phone. But they also charge you those same absurdly high prices if you bring your own phone. So there really isn't a choice. Europe is a bit better as there's more competition and more pre-paid calling options and MVNOs that can be quite cheap.

You don't have to believe me, everything I said was only an expectation. But please note that any Apple resellers don't know more of these stuff than we all do. Apple doesn't tell when or where or how they are going to sell their products outside of countries where they do not have their own official stores.

And I have to say this again: Apple does not import iPhones to all Asian countries except Japan and Hong Kong. Phone operators do. So if you really want to know so badly about the pricing and the release dates, trust the information from the higher-ups at the telcos, not Apple resellers.

Image obsessed Thai kids will get their iPhone 4S from grey imports from MBK, which will be sold at some ridiculous price .. perhaps something like 50k. iPhone 4s were sold a few day after its officially released in MBK for 60k. Crazy.

Interesting, what you say, infernalman7. So, if I get that right, www.apple.com/th/ (Official Apple® Store), www.apple.com/sg/ (Official Apple® Store) are just resellers, are not Cupertino owned or controlled? Interesting, indeed! So, where they get their products from? From True, DTAC, or where? Looks unbelievable to me, but I'm always eager to learn.

Interesting, what you say, infernalman7. So, if I get that right, www.apple.com/th/ (Official Apple® Store), www.apple.com/sg/ (Official Apple® Store) are just resellers, are not Cupertino owned or controlled? Interesting, indeed! So, where they get their products from?

Of course they're official, but last time around the Thai Online Apple Store at store.apple.com/th did not sell the iPhone directly. Instead, it directed you to the various reseller sites. Actually it's still that way, see for yourself. There is no "buy" button. Only a "find a store" button.

In SG and HK they do sell them online, but they only ship to SG and HK, respectively. So you can't order from Thailand directly, you'd need to know somebody in those countries and have it shipped to them. They do accept US credit cards AFAIK.

Edited by nikster

Interesting, what you say, infernalman7. So, if I get that right, www.apple.com/th/ (Official Apple® Store), www.apple.com/sg/ (Official Apple® Store) are just resellers, are not Cupertino owned or controlled? Interesting, indeed! So, where they get their products from?

Of course they're official, but last time around the Thai Online Apple Store at store.apple.com/th did not sell the iPhone directly. Instead, it directed you to the various reseller sites. Actually it's still that way, see for yourself. There is no "buy" button. Only a "find a store" button.

In SG and HK they do sell them online, but they only ship to SG and HK, respectively. So you can't order from Thailand directly, you'd need to know somebody in those countries and have it shipped to them. They do accept US credit cards AFAIK.

Thanks, nikster.

Some people will be lucky to be among the very first to get this new iPhone 4S, for one time I'm among them: already next week I will have an unlocked iPhone 4S 16GB black here in Thailand. :D Don't ask me about the price - it doesn't come cheap.

Edited by Dario

Some people will be lucky to be among the very first to get this new iPhone 4S, for one time I'm among them: already next week I will have an unlocked iPhone 4S 16GB black here in Thailand. :D Don't ask me about the price - it doesn't come cheap.

Sorry mods, I don't know how this happened, please delete the 2nd double post. Thanks!

Edited by Dario

Sorry mods, I don't know how this happened, please delete the 2nd double post. Thanks!

mmmmm . i want one next week too Dario !!! ... now who's going to buy my perfectly good, well kept 3GS 32G - unlocked & running iOS 4.2 so i can afford one ???

:whistling:

I am even luckier - with an iPhone 4 I don't see a good reason to update. Faster - OK but the iPhone 4 is fast. Looks the same. SIRI is very cool but not going to work in Thailand. And who knows whether it can deal with my heavy german accent. Allright, I admit, SIRI looks to be amazing. I underestimated that at first, I thought it was a bit of a souped up voice control - but new videos show that you can basically now start a conversation with your phone.

You can say things like "Make an appointment with Jason tomorrow at 8:00 am" and it will enter the correct date in your calendar and send an email to Jason. Or "what's a good italian restaurant around here?".

Hmm... on second thought. Maybe I will have to get one ;)

They are having fun with it too... check this out:

http://mashable.com/2011/10/12/siris-greatest-hits-witty-comebacks-iphone-4s/

Edited by nikster

I am even luckier - with an iPhone 4 I don't see a good reason to update. Faster - OK but the iPhone 4 is fast. Looks the same. SIRI is very cool but not going to work in Thailand. And who knows whether it can deal with my heavy german accent. Allright, I admit, SIRI looks to be amazing. I underestimated that at first, I thought it was a bit of a souped up voice control - but new videos show that you can basically now start a conversation with your phone.

You can say things like "Make an appointment with Jason tomorrow at 8:00 am" and it will enter the correct date in your calendar and send an email to Jason. Or "what's a good italian restaurant around here?".

Hmm... on second thought. Maybe I will have to get one ;)

They are having fun with it too... check this out:

http://mashable.com/2011/10/12/siris-greatest-hits-witty-comebacks-iphone-4s/

nikster, did you read that even Woz (Steve Wozniek, co-founder of Apple) stood in line to get the newest iPhone 4S? He was 1st in line, must have camped in front of the shop. Just amazing. Here are some pictures. >> I see the link doesn't work. Just put this line into your browser:

http://techie-buzz.com/apple-2/apple-iphone-4s-launch-steve-wozniak-parth.html

I don't care of the outside looks of the iPhone. What is important for me is what it is capable of to do - and that's a lot more than its predecessor, the iPhone 4!

Edited by Dario

• 2 weeks later...

Once officially released it will be the same price as other countries as Apple set the price worldwide & will be available from Dtac AIS & True shops as well as iStudio. Thai law doesn’t allow locked in contracts with mobile phones so the phone will not be subsidised by the carrier.

According to the manager of the iStudio at Siam Paragon, they are expecting a mid Nov/Early December release. Waiting another few weeks will save you at least ฿10k unless you’re planning a trip to Singapore or Japan where its already out.

For me I'll get the 4s over the 4 as I'll need more than 8G storage but I won't pay MBK pre-release prices. My old mp3 player died & my current phone is on its last legs so I'm looking for something that can do both, iCloud & a decent camera is a plus as it means I don't have to remember my point and shoot when we take a w/e at the beach. iOS5 has slowed my iPad1 down in a few areas so I think the improved A5 could prove its worth as well.

I am curious, when do you think the phone 5 will come out? The 4S looks really cool, but if the 5 is out in 6 more months than I have the patience to wait for that.

I think the 4s is this years phone, there may be an iPhone 5 out in a few months time but it out be a good 18 month before you see it in Thailand (outside MBK/Panthip)