Iphone 4S Availability In Thailand?

hinhua

SIRI is very cool but not going to work in Thailand.

Untrue. Certain integrations will not be available at launch, but will be added over time. Making appointments, calls, notes... all that stuff will be there on day one.

Moreover, because of the very large (and enthusiastic) expat population here in Thailand, I'd wager that these things will make it out here sooner than in other countries. Easier to put together the metadata.

It is one reason however to justify holding off on the resort to the gray market to get it sooner, the other being the inability to get the thing serviced here if you don't buy through a carrier.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SIRI is very cool but not going to work in Thailand.

Untrue. Certain integrations will not be available at launch, but will be added over time. Making appointments, calls, notes... all that stuff will be there on day one.

Moreover, because of the very large (and enthusiastic) expat population here in Thailand, I'd wager that these things will make it out here sooner than in other countries. Easier to put together the metadata.

It is one reason however to justify holding off on the resort to the gray market to get it sooner, the other being the inability to get the thing serviced here if you don't buy through a carrier.

Not so sure about that. First off, Siri will probably never do the Thai language until maybe iPhone9. Thai is a very difficult language because of the tonal qualities. So, if there's no immediate plans to release Siri in Thai it seems like the size of the expat community in Thailand would not be significant enough to warrant Apple doing anything special for expats.

I can see them opening up Siri for international travelers who want to find a restaurant in a foreign city but at the moment Siri really only does US English well. Canada and the UK get a crippled version of Siri that won't look up certain things due to the localization issues. If they're not even expecting Siri to be fully rolled out to languages like Spanish, German, etc. until early to mid 2012 it seems unlikely that Siri would be ready for prime time in Thailand (even in English) for some time after that.

I mean, the iPhone didn't even support the Thai keyboard until something like the iPhone2 or iPhone3. Facebook Places launched in Aug 2010 and wasn't available in Thailand until May 2011 (and even then, it was nowhere near as comprehensive as US or European versions).

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do get Siri out there more quickly than that but I wouldn't make any bets on that.

Thai is a very difficult language because of the tonal qualities.

Difficult for us, but for voice recognition software? They've said that Mandarin support is coming next year. That shows that they've mastered tonal qualities, but then too the fairly limited set of languages slated for next year suggests that it's a big deal supporting any language. I feel bad for the Thais, but for most of us here it isn't an issue, we'll be jabbering at these things in English.

So, if there's no immediate plans to release Siri in Thai it seems like the size of the expat community in Thailand would not be significant enough to warrant Apple doing anything special for expats.

That's a good point, although I think Thailand being such a popular vacation destination tilts it back in our favor. Places with English names (and there are a lot) need only have those names broken down phonetically and put into the database along with locations, etc. Ideally Apple would go to a site like thaivisa and solicit our input.

And let's face it, trying to say Thai names in an English sentence... that's not going to happen for a LONG time. Even working with multiple scripts in a word processing application is a fairly recent innovation... to do that with voice has got to be a whole new level of complexity.

In any case, the thing works. Look at the list of apps/features on the iPhone that you'll be able to navigate using Siri... it's actually quite large:

• Phone
  • FaceTime
  • Music
  • Mail
  • Reminders
  • Notes
  • Contacts
  • Weather
  • Stocks
  • Web Search
  • Find My Friends
  • Alarms, World Clock and Timer
  • Wolfram|Alpha
  • Wikipedia search

The only things we're missing by not being in the U.S. are Maps and Local Search with Yelp. Since they were a big part of the demo, the appearance is that Siri won't work here because they're omitted, but there's still lots there to play with and use here. Wolfram|Alpha by itself is almost worth the price of admission as far as I'm concerned.

I am more excited about this feature than I am about any other since even the introduction of the iPhone itself. Apple once had a technology that was briefly promoted as being Siri-like called Casper, way back in the classic MacOS days. There was a brief period of time during which some of us believed that, in conjunction with AppleScript--which is a very English-like scripting language--that we'd be doing then with our Quadras what we're now going to be able to do with Siri. Alas, that never came to be.

What I'd really like to see is this being opened up for other applications, like say, an iPad version of Xcode. So we could write code on a tablet. Make that work and then I'll seriously consider giving up laptops altogether.

Ordered an unlocked iPhone 4s in Euroland. Apple´s confirmation eMail reads it will ship Nov 2 to Nov 9th. Just in time before take-off to Thailand.

I´m currently using a SIM-locked iPhone 4 with a gevey.us unlock SIM. Works ok in Farangland. But sometimes it works for weeks without interruption, then it kicks me off twice a day, just to work again for weeks. Anyway that´s why I opted to buy an unlocked one to use any SIM I like.

Ordered an unlocked iPhone 4s in Euroland. Apple´s confirmation eMail reads it will ship Nov 2 to Nov 9th. Just in time before take-off to Thailand.

I´m currently using a SIM-locked iPhone 4 with a gevey.us unlock SIM. Works ok in Farangland. But sometimes it works for weeks without interruption, then it kicks me off twice a day, just to work again for weeks. Anyway that´s why I opted to buy an unlocked one to use any SIM I like.

I went the other way since I recently moved back to the US for awhile. I bought the locked 4S after owning the 3GS that I purchased unlocked via True in Thailand. I just couldn't see paying roughly $700 for the phone when I have a 3GS that functions well and I can take when I'm traveling back to Thailand.

Now I just need to wait for the new Gevey unlocked SIM for iOS5 :-)

FYI the new iPhone 4 / 8GB just went on sale in the Thai Apple store (or maybe it's been for a while, I don't know)

http://store.apple.com/th/product/IPHONE4

It's an unsurprising 17,900. That's pretty much exactly the US price ($550) if you take sales tax into account - e.g. in the USA you'll pay around $600 out the door, same as here...

So let's predict the 4S prices

4S 16: $649 / Predicted THB: 22,000

4S 32: $749 / Predicted THB: 25,500

4S 64: $849 / Predicted THB: 28,900

The good news: For the first time, the iPhone is available in the Thai online store. Previously, you had to go to True/DTAC/iStudio. I expect the 4S to arrive here soon, too.

Edited by nikster

The good news: For the first time, the iPhone is available in the Thai online store. Previously, you had to go to True/DTAC/iStudio.

Is that good news? What are the service options when purchasing through the online store?

I had an issue with the home button on the 3GS I bought in Hong Kong. Turns out the only service options available to me here in TH were if I bought the phone from True or DTAC. iStudio, though a part of MacZone which is an Apple Authorized Service Provider, wouldn't touch it.

The good news: For the first time, the iPhone is available in the Thai online store. Previously, you had to go to True/DTAC/iStudio.

Is that good news? What are the service options when purchasing through the online store?

I had an issue with the home button on the 3GS I bought in Hong Kong. Turns out the only service options available to me here in TH were if I bought the phone from True or DTAC. iStudio, though a part of MacZone which is an Apple Authorized Service Provider, wouldn't touch it.

iPhones are only warrantied in the country they were bought, that was the case from day 1. So you'll have full warranty for the iPhone bought from the Apple online store Thailand. This is not exactly a secret, it's all over Apple's website and easy to find per Google search too.

It's good news because it's one more channel, and instead of standing in line at True or waiting for weeks, you can just order online and have it delivered to your doorstep anywhere in Thailand.

iPhones are only warrantied in the country they were bought, that was the case from day 1. So you'll have full warranty for the iPhone bought from the Apple online store Thailand. This is not exactly a secret, it's all over Apple's website and easy to find per Google search too.

Yeah but that doesn't answer my question. Is iStudio now servicing iPhones? If not, where do we take it?

Yeah but that doesn't answer my question. Is iStudio now servicing iPhones? If not, where do we take it?

I see a tendency to ask questions that a 2 second Google search would answer.

Anyway: If you bought your iPhone in Thailand, then any authorized Apple dealer or any of TRUE, DTAC, AIS will service it. iStudio is an authorized Apple dealer so yeah they'll service it.

If you bought it outside Thailand (or bought a grey import from another country here) then either take it back to that country for under warranty repair, or go out of warranty and have one of the little repair shops in the mall take care of it.

Edited by nikster

Any knowledgeable user here know whether iStudio is now servicing iPhones?

So I finally make it to iStudio to ask the question, and the answer is no. You buy an iPhone from iStudio and you need to take it to Dtac/AIS for servicing if you need it.

They did not know whether this would apply to iPhones purchased via the online Apple Store. I would guess that it would, but guessing with international Apple Support and the iPhone has already cost me too much.

As this is all very new, and the big carriers strike me as very impersonal companies, my guess is that it's going to be awhile before this process becomes usable. I don't have any fear over software issues or any of the electronics. My fear is with the mechanical parts of the iPhone. The home button on my 3GS made it a maddening experience until I bit the bullet and had a local shop fix it for *gasp* 1500B, even though it's still under AppleCare. Works like a charm now though.

You've also got the volume switches, the sim tray, and the earbud and USB connector ports to consider too.

SGD 1088 is THB 26012.60 for those who don't have the Mac OS X Dashboard Currency Converter at their fingertips. :)

Wow - thanks this is really nice! I'd been using Google but this is better and quicker.

What I like about it is I can set up a kind of "war room" display using it, with a long row of clocks at the top for the different time zones I'm in, along with multiple currency converters for the cities in those zones.

You could of course just create a web page to do this too but I don't think it would look as nice nor is it likely to be assigned its own key combination (fn F4 in my case). I was initially very skeptical of this feature but now I kind of love it.

Im in Cnada and travelling back home to Thailand next Friday (Nov 18, 2011). I just purchased a factory unocked Iphone 4s and I do love it and cant wait to use it back in BKK. If anyone is interested in getting one of these before their release in Thailand, drop me a line and let me know Im sure I can pick up one or two more before I return. I promise, only a slight transport fee to cover some bottled water or diamonds once back home.

Seriously tho, drop me a line if I can pick one up, the local store has them in stock here.

Im in Cnada and travelling back home to Thailand next Friday (Nov 18, 2011). I just purchased a factory unocked Iphone 4s and I do love it and cant wait to use it back in BKK. If anyone is interested in getting one of these before their release in Thailand, drop me a line and let me know Im sure I can pick up one or two more before I return. I promise, only a slight transport fee to cover some bottled water or diamonds once back home.

Seriously tho, drop me a line if I can pick one up, the local store has them in stock here.

Hi Quadman ... thats a great offer - I'm very interested ... I sent u a message yesterday.

cheers with fingers crossed,

Buzz

I do not believe that. I rather believe that the 32GB iPhone 4S will be priced around 30'000 Baht. I've heard today from the Apple outlet in Pattaya that launch for Thailand will be in January 2012. There is more demand for the new 4S than it was when the 3GS was launched. One of my friends waited exactly 3 months for his iPhone 3GS to be delivered by True and that was approximately 4 months after the launch date in Thailand ... There are tons and tons of Thai kids of the rich and influential who will get them ahead of us.

In November the unlocked and contract-free versions will be launched by Apple in the U.S.A. and I will get one of those.

You don't have to believe me, everything I said was only an expectation. But please note that any Apple resellers don't know more of these stuff than we all do. Apple doesn't tell when or where or how they are going to sell their products outside of countries where they do not have their own official stores.

And I have to say this again: Apple does not import iPhones to all Asian countries except Japan and Hong Kong. Phone operators do. So if you really want to know so badly about the pricing and the release dates, trust the information from the higher-ups at the telcos, not Apple resellers.

Image obsessed Thai kids will get their iPhone 4S from grey imports from MBK, which will be sold at some ridiculous price .. perhaps something like 50k. iPhone 4s were sold a few day after its officially released in MBK for 60k. Crazy.

Interesting, what you say, infernalman7. So, if I get that right, www.apple.com/th/ (Official Apple® Store), www.apple.com/sg/ (Official Apple® Store) are just resellers, are not Cupertino owned or controlled? Interesting, indeed! So, where they get their products from? From True, DTAC, or where? Looks unbelievable to me, but I'm always eager to learn.

Actually yes, they are only resellers. For instance, in my country (Malta), Vodafone is the official dealer, so even other carriers or any mobile shop, will get it from Vodafone.

for those in Bangkok who can't wait, this past weekend at MBK mall, they were selling new iPhone4S's (white version, unlocked from the USA and from HK) 32Gig for Baht 28,500 cash basis....

Hi Trajan ... do u know the current price at MBK for the 16gb version ?

for those in Bangkok who can't wait, this past weekend at MBK mall, they were selling new iPhone4S's (white version, unlocked from the USA and from HK) 32Gig for Baht 28,500 cash basis....

Hi Trajan ... do u know the current price at MBK for the 16gb version ?

I have to go on memory (as I was focused on 32GB version, but as I recall, it was B24,000 for the 16GB version...(it seemed to be a 20% premium over the USA unlocked (no contract) version price....)

they also seemed to want to charge a slight premium (Baht 400 or so) on the white version over the black one....but you can haggle just a bit...they throw in free screen protectors etc.

Edited by trajan