Offshore Work In South East Asia

hi guys,

i am currently in holland working on refurbishment job on ( atlantic labrador ) jack up rig then we are going offshore to denmark in few weeks time, i am a deckhand welder with b.o.i.s.e.t cert, mist cert, medical, fire fighting and emergency response certs. my thai wife and baby are back in uk ( alone ) and she is finding it difficult without me there as baby is only 2 years old and my wife does not speak the best of english ( she cannot read bills etc etc etc ) so my sister has to call regularly . so my wife wants to return to thailand and to be honest i would rather she was there with her family, we have homes there also and i want my daughter to be brought up in a good enviroment ( i have no family back home , apart from my sister ) can anyone direct me to any agencies etc or websites that deal with offshore work in se asia ? and would i be likely to get work with my current certs etc? this is my first trip im going out on in 3 weeks.

any advice much appreciated, thanks

A lot of people live in Thailand and work elsewhere in the world on rotational basis. I live and work in Thailand and have watched the gradual phasing out of expats in Thailand in favor of locals.

If you have a short experience on working offshore then my advice is stick with the present job for a while. Maybe relocate family to Thailand and commute. There are some pretty good deals on airfares if you look.

A couple of websites that I use are Rigzone and Atlas4jobs. Both are dot com addresses. The big areas at the moment are Angola and Australia, both have work permit issues and Aust has unions involved in marine works.

Cheers

Deck hands and welders... All the standard positions are usually held by locals in each of the S.E. Asian countries..

Unless you are a driller / tool pusher etc... I doubt you will face much opportunity to secure work with a rig in Asia.

Perhaps by far the best option would simply be to maintain your current position and rotate through Thailand rather than your current location.

If you are patient in a few years you may have worked your way up from deckhand, motorman, derrick man, assistant driller, driller...

Once at driller level you would have far better opportunity for to work outside of your current region of employment.

As someone has pointed out, there are a number of expats living in Thailand who work in the Oil and Gas industry. However they are generally in positions of relative seniority (i.e. Tool pusher and up)... Or Company Men / Geologists, Or working for a service company as a directional driller, mud Engineer, LWD engineer, ROV operators etc...

Unless you have a specific skill set to place you in a position whereby a company will want to employ you over a local you are far better off working locally (i.e. Europe if you are British) than trying to obtain work overseas... Unfortunately for you, deck hands and welders etc are not in short supply in asia...

Without trying to p*ss on your parade and not trying to be rude but based on the brief overview you have given, you dont have a hope in hell offshore SEA.

The best thing you can do, is keep your current position and commute backwards and forwards between Europe and Thailand.

As already mentioned, stay on the job you have, get a higher qualification and more experiance. By the time you will be able to "grow" into a position to negotiate about where you would like to work. There is no short cut, go through the years.....

Working world wide in the oil/gas fields, I told my company that I will settle down in Thailand. They said that this is impossible. I told them that, after 20years with the same company, I expect fair play, so give me one year time to look for another job.... Three month later I was told to live where I like. As I said before, I was able to negotiate because of 20years with them and because I was serious about changing job.

Take your time

fatfather

Your certificates are just the basic offshore certificate which almost every person has.

I don't think that you find any work in asia as the locals can easily do the work you are looking for.

As mentioned before only the higher qualified jobs make a change.