Exchanging Satang Coins For Banknotes In Cm

CMHomeboy78

Bag them up and give them to a charity.

And how do we know that's what you would really do?

I think you would be gobsmacked at the amount of generous people on TV, that do in fact give to needy causes of their choice. But like most sensible givers, they don't feel the need to advertise it.

Ive been giving to the needy charity of Chiang Mai FC all season and they are still poor!!!

Ive been giving to the needy charity of Chiang Mai FC all season and they are still poor!!!

Better that you give them to that really needy bloke, what's his name?....................Oh I remember, Don Valley. biggrin.gif

Is it true that they have athletics going on at the same time as the match to prevent boredom?wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Give them to a worthwhile charity and don't be so much of a tight ass. Seriously are you that hard up Mr 2%.

They are HIS coins and as such he should do whatever he wants.

He hasn't stated the quantity, it might be thousands collected over many years.

If it isn't a significant number, then it would be nice if he donated them and it will make him feel good.......if it is a significant number, he will feel even better by donating them. smile.gif.........................................or he might not sad.gif

Okay lets break this down a bit and put in in perspective, assuming he has 10,000 x 50 satang coins (wows that's alot I am sure you would agree) THB5000 (100 quid).... and he is worried about paying 2% (100THB a so)....

Just confirms my belief that most farangs in Chiang Mai are total tight <deleted>.....

LOL - sounds like you may be onto something

Better that you give them to that really needy bloke, what's his name?....................Oh I remember, Don Valley. biggrin.gif

Is it true that they have athletics going on at the same time as the match to prevent boredom?wink.gif

I dont even want to think how much have given that charity over the years and its still needs a lot more :D

I love crunching figures ....

If I managed to save 10 x 50 satang coins every single day for 20 years. I would have approximately 73,000 satangs in my piggy bank. It might not be so much of a little piggy bank though. Lets just assume a satang weighs 1 gram, whats that 73 kilo's then.

If I trotted of to the bank they would have to count my 73,000 satangs and presumably bag them into bags of 100, so 730 bags.

Then they would presumably hand me over THB36,500.

I can tell you now I like the OP would be outraged to pay 2% THB730 (US$25) for someone to count my 73,000 satangs.

My advice to the OP forget the 2% give them to a charity and don't be a tight ass.

I dont even want to think how much have given that charity over the years and its still needs a lot more :D

Yeah, but you still love them. smile.gif

What is the reaction at Tops and 7-11 when you heave a load on those coins on the counter to pay for a purchase?

I've always "fed them back into the system" by making a point of using them at the same stores that give them to me, but I've never tried to unload more than 10 at a time. So, what happens then?

Did you ever try to pay at Safeway, Costco, or some other big store in the U.S. with all pennies? I never did, I am just wondering what that experience would have been.

Feeding them back into the system a little at a time, like you have been doing, makes more sense in my opinion.

MSPain

Geeezzzzzzz some of you are real cutthroats aren't you... Give the guy a break, my calculations is 50 satang is nearly 2 cents (US) and I know many in the USA that collects and hoards pennies.... BTW, it's obvious many of you never read the odd news of the world:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/339881/man-70-buys-29000-truck-with-coins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7559881.stm

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/08/15/17825/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,318018,00.html

Leave the thrifty guy alone and go kick a soi dog......Geeeezzzzzzzzz

What is the reaction at Tops and 7-11 when you heave a load on those coins on the counter to pay for a purchase?

I've always "fed them back into the system" by making a point of using them at the same stores that give them to me, but I've never tried to unload more than 10 at a time. So, what happens then?

Did you ever try to pay at Safeway, Costco, or some other big store in the U.S. with all pennies? I never did, I am just wondering what that experience would have been.

Feeding them back into the system a little at a time, like you have been doing, makes more sense in my opinion.

MSPain

Geeezzzzzzz some of you are real cutthroats aren't you... Give the guy a break, my calculations is 50 satang is nearly 2 cents (US) and I know many in the USA that collects and hoards pennies.... BTW, it's obvious many of you never read the odd news of the world:

http://news.ninemsn....ruck-with-coins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7559881.stm

http://www.neatorama...08/08/15/17825/

http://www.foxnews.c...,318018,00.html

Leave the thrifty guy alone and go kick a soi dog......Geeeezzzzzzzzz

I would kick all your teeth down the back of your throat with steel capped boots before I kicked a soi dog your cruel dirt bag.

for 6 months I collected satangs in a little cup.

Then I started to carry a small amount in a zip pocket in my nylon fabric wallet - and in nearly 5 months, almost all gone.

Now when I collect them, they'll go into my wallet, come out when I need them - like all coins.

I never understood people who collect coins in a jar - then have to wonder how to convert them into folding money.

I love crunching figures ....

If I managed to save 10 x 50 satang coins every single day for 20 years. I would have approximately 73,000 satangs in my piggy bank. It might not be so much of a little piggy bank though. Lets just assume a satang weighs 1 gram, whats that 73 kilo's then.

If I trotted of to the bank they would have to count my 73,000 satangs and presumably bag them into bags of 100, so 730 bags.

Then they would presumably hand me over THB36,500.

I can tell you now I like the OP would be outraged to pay 2% THB730 (US$25) for someone to count my 73,000 satangs.

My advice to the OP forget the 2% give them to a charity and don't be a tight ass.

Apology and Correction

Apparently a 50 satang weighs 2.4grams (not 1 gram). Therefore 73,000 satangs would weigh 175.2 Kg's (or 385 pounds).

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-satang_coin

I know the assist Mgr at Hangdong Big C. I ask her about it one time and she didn't seem to want to take them, but I think in small bags of 100 coins they might. In US we bag them in rollers and take them to the bank. Easy uh. She tried to tell me about going to some bank here in town I did not recognize and exchange them, but didn't say anything about commission.

Temple donation is good Idea (come to think of it) since we are always making donations to the meditation center here.

I know the assist Mgr at Hangdong Big C. I ask her about it one time and she didn't seem to want to take them, but I think in small bags of 100 coins they might. In US we bag them in rollers and take them to the bank. Easy uh. She tried to tell me about going to some bank here in town I did not recognize and exchange them, but didn't say anything about commission.

Temple donation is good Idea (come to think of it) since we are always making donations to the meditation center here.

In the US there is now CoinStar which is a big business... Dump all your coins into a machine and it counts them for you. A receipt will print out and then you take that receipt to a cashier who will them hand you folding money..... Of course the use of the machine and this process costs you something like 10%, if I recall......

...Sounds like someone wears some big arse boots....... blink.gif

In the US there is now CoinStar which is a big business... Dump all your coins into a machine and it counts them for you. A receipt will print out and then you take that receipt to a cashier who will them hand you folding money..... Of course the use of the machine and this process costs you something like 10%, if I recall......

...Sounds like someone wears some big arse boots....... blink.gif

Haven't been home to US in 14 years. Probably after all this time culture shock would set in. I've seen coin counting machines in banks along time ago. They may have them here somewhere. I think they out to do away with them at the stores. Round up or down. That's what AAFES did in Germany many years ago. It averages out, and no pennies, to carry around or tube. Amazing technology and increasing fast. I have often wondered why immigration can't just computerize the long term information instead of making married folks turn in two sets of all docs. I guess that's too much work.