Exchanging Satang Coins For Banknotes In Cm

CMHomeboy78

Monday's Bangkok Post had an article on satang coins. It said that banks charge a fee of 2% to change them into banknotes. Toward the end of the article it mentioned that provincial comptroller-general's offices would do it at no charge. People like myself who have accumulated a large quantity of them would be interested to know where in Chiang Mai this office is located. Thanks for any information.

Your kidding aren't you......... your worried about 2% on your worthless coins......

ps. are they 25 or 50 satang coins....

All denominations and a lot of them. They're not worthless.

Give them to a worthwhile charity and don't be so much of a tight ass. Seriously are you that hard up Mr 2%.

Give them to a worthwhile charity and don't be so much of a tight ass. Seriously are you that hard up Mr 2%.

They are HIS coins and as such he should do whatever he wants.

He hasn't stated the quantity, it might be thousands collected over many years.

If it isn't a significant number, then it would be nice if he donated them and it will make him feel good.......if it is a significant number, he will feel even better by donating them. smile.gif.........................................or he might not sad.gif

Edited by uptheos

If it isn't a significant number, then it would be nice if he donated them and it will make him feel good.......if it is a significant number, he will feel even better by donating them. smile.gif.........................................or he might not sad.gif

Okay lets break this down a bit and put in in perspective, assuming he has 10,000 x 50 satang coins (wows that's alot I am sure you would agree) THB5000 (100 quid).... and he is worried about paying 2% (100THB a so)....

Just confirms my belief that most farangs in Chiang Mai are total tight <deleted>.....

If you sellotape the same denominations in lots of say 100.Take them to Tesco or Big C they will exchange for cash. Like Uptheos I am not going to pass judgement, they are yours, just trying to help in answer to your OP

Just confirms my belief that most farangs in Chiang Mai are total tight <deleted>.....

Maybe, but they're still HIS coins. biggrin.gif

Indeed they are HIS coins, but lets look at substance over form. A post where someone is worried about a 2% fee to change their dam_n satangs.... my god......

Indeed they are HIS coins, but lets look at substance over form. A post where someone is worried about a 2% fee to change their dam_n satangs.... my god......

Don't ya just love TV - such a variation, from massive living expenses, to someone worried about 2% on his saved satang's.........and you know what......most of it is BS.

And you know what again, even if he does have a load of satang's saved, I couldn't give a rats arse what he does with them and I don't understand anyone getting worked up about it.

Edited by uptheos

MaxOz,If you were converting dollars from your home country to Thai Baht and one bank gave a 2% better rate then the other,you wouldn't go there?

I would go there yes.... agreed

But we aren't talking dollars are we, we are talking satangs, someone worried about being charged 2% to get their little worthless nuggets changed up.... 100,000 50 satang coins is worth about $1600 US.... so $30 to change up 100,000 of them....OMG

The OP is just a tight arse... Anyone who defends him is in the same boat.

Like others have suggested, to save myself the headache and to do something good, I usually go to a Wat every 2 yrs or so n drop off what I've got. It feels good. I take the time to have a conversation with one of the head monks, ask about where the money will go - it seems most have 2 funds: one for Wat upkeep = electricity, water, etc. The second is for school supplies. I have been able to make a choice each time I've done it. Either way it all goes to something I have no trouble supporting.

And I'll also mention that I usually throw in another 50-100B too. I'm a man of modest means, I know, but realistically it's alot better than just my satangs as they're hardly the 100,000 coins everyone's theoretically debating here. After 2 years even, I'm doubting they add up to 150 baht.

I respect your decision either way. This is the only pertinent advice I have, however.

Edited by realthaideal

And it is his first post to the Thai Visa

What is the reaction at Tops and 7-11 when you heave a load on those coins on the counter to pay for a purchase?

I've always "fed them back into the system" by making a point of using them at the same stores that give them to me, but I've never tried to unload more than 10 at a time. So, what happens then?

Don't ya just love TV - such a variation, from massive living expenses, to someone worried about 2% on his saved satang's.........and you know what......most of it is BS.

And you know what again, even if he does have a load of satang's saved, I couldn't give a rats arse what he does with them and I don't understand anyone getting worked up about it.

What do you mean? This is the most important topic I have ever read on Thai Visa. If I were you I would take it seriously.

What is the reaction at Tops and 7-11 when you heave a load on those coins on the counter to pay for a purchase?

I've always "fed them back into the system" by making a point of using them at the same stores that give them to me, but I've never tried to unload more than 10 at a time. So, what happens then?

Did you ever try to pay at Safeway, Costco, or some other big store in the U.S. with all pennies? I never did, I am just wondering what that experience would have been.

Feeding them back into the system a little at a time, like you have been doing, makes more sense in my opinion.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

And it is his first post to the Thai Visa

Exactly - maybe now some people can stop worrying about his frigging satang's....the OP isn't bothered about opinion or advice..... he went on holiday after posting!

Edited by uptheos

Good grief man, he's not on trial here!

Who knows, you might be the OP's other name, signing in on a different IP and playing devil's advocate.

After all you're both newbies and many things on TV are not always what they seem.wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Did you ever try to pay at Safeway, Costco, or some other big store in the U.S. with all pennies? I never did, I am just wondering what that experience would have been.

MSPain

Not sure about the US, but for UK Wikipedia states:

"Currently, 20 penny pieces and 50 penny pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 10 pounds. 5 penny pieces and 10 penny pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 5 pounds; and 1 penny pieces and 2 penny pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 20 pence".

Probably the US has some restrictions too on how many coins = legal tender.

Good grief man, he's not on trial here!

Who knows, you might be the OP's other name, signing in on a different IP and playing devil's advocate.

After all you're both newbies and many things on TV are not always what they seem.wink.gif

The floor in that is that the OP has gone on holiday I haven't.....

It's nice to read many of your replies because you seem to use common sense and respectful answers. It seems like one can't post a genuine request for helpful answers without receiving a lot of crap. Bravo for all those who genuinely try to help others.

Edited by Lifer

It's nice to read many of your replies because you seem to use common sense and respectful answers. It seems like one can't post a genuine request for helpful answers without receiving a lot of crap. Bravo for all those who genuinely try to help others.

Here is an idea about helping others. Instead of being such a tight ass and posting how one can avoid saving 2% on changing up satangs... As for helping others as you have stated on your moral high ground. Bag them up and give them to a charity.

Bag them up and give them to a charity.

And how do we know that's what you would really do?

I think you would be gobsmacked at the amount of generous people on TV, that do in fact give to needy causes of their choice. But like most sensible givers, they don't feel the need to advertise it.

Edited by uptheos