Rights Of A Half Thai Person

Padkapow Guy

I was curious if a 1/2 thai and 1/2 american man can own land in thailand?

He was born and raised in the U.S. His mother is still a thai citizen but lives in the U.S. Does he inherit any Thai rights from his mother or is he just another american to Thailand. Would he be able to automaticly obtain a Thai citizenship because his mother is thai?

My guess is he is S.O.L. but I told him I would ask the TV members.

thanks for any help on this.

PKG

He has the right to Thai citizenship, and through that the right to own land in Thailand. I would suggest he contacts his nearest Thai consulate for advice on claiming his citizenship.

…and, Padkapow Guy, if you’re looking for a link to the relevant Thai law, you can find the Nationality Act here in English, and here in Thai. Section 7 applies.

As I understand it, one important question that has not been asked on this thread is whether or not:

(1) the mother is still alive;

(2) the appliant has evidence of his Thai hertiage (in the event that 1 is not an option);

(3) s/he has relatives willing to provide affivadits as to his/her rights (in the case 1 & 2 are not an opition).

From my reading, which is minimal, you cannot just walk into an embassy and say "hi guys, I'm half Thai and can you please give me a passport."

But I could well be wrong...

SM :o

EDIT: I would strongly suggest you get Lopburi's input on this before you run off skipping and dancing thinking all is well with the world

Edited by Sumitr Man

There are much better posters on this subject than me and from what they have said and there experiences it is not hard at all. You may need to contact an Embassy rather than a small Consulate to find someone with full knowledge but the process seems to be well documented and (relatively) free of the usual speed bumps of government.

Tiger Woods was asked on Thai TV if he fealt he was Thai or American, his response was [sic] "I'm an American, why would I consider myself Thai when Thailand denied my mother her basic rights because she married my father".

At the time of the marriage of his parents, (women) his mother was automatically denied rights to vote and own property because she had married a foreigner.