People Are Stockpiling Foods For Fear Of Bangkok Flooding

george

My oh my, people are reacting like the capital is going to be submerged under 5 metres of flood water for weeks on end. If you cannot hold out for a couple of days with the supplies you should have in your household anyway, then you're definitely a poor housekeeper. And if the Biblical flood doesn't hit your area, you're going to sit on a stockpile of food that will last until end of the year. I have never really understood that sort of lemming-like panic buying. Has anyone started chopping down the mango trees in their garden and started to build an ark, too...?

I don't regad myself as a lemming but I have bought 4 *12 1.5 lt bottles of water, a bottle of coke and 5 cans of tuna. The water was my idea the rest the wife's. I guess when she starts to get worried; then I should start worrying.

All the very best to those of us affected by the floods.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure, why to buy water, as tap water is good enough and rain water can be drunk as well.

would be wise to take car's battery into the home, to have some emergency lighting

You really want to drink the tap water during a mass flood? I would think even in the downtown areas of the most modern cities in the world they would recommend boiling the water first if they got inundated as Bangkok may about to be.

Even if the water treatment plants don't get flooded, could you imagine what mess could potentially go into the pipes supplying the city water if there is 2ft of water downtown for a day or so?

To put things in perspective, for the last 2 months we have been surrounded by flood waters in Pichit, thus no septic tanks or field. All waste, human and garbage, ended up in mae nam. Multiply that by the several million people in everywhere from Phitsanulok & Tak south who are affected by the flooding and it's not hard to figure where all that contaminated, albeit diluted water is heading. The garbage collects at the dams before it enters the Ayuttaya area and is removed in massive heaps by the government.Bottled or at least boiled water is safe. Even if you do drink Bangkok tap water in an emergency, it won't kill you, maybe a bit longer in the toilet though.

Edited by ratcatcher

not sure, why to buy water, as tap water is good enough and rain water can be drunk as well.

would be wise to take car's battery into the home, to have some emergency lighting

You really want to drink the tap water during a mass flood? I would think even in the downtown areas of the most modern cities in the world they would recommend boiling the water first if they got inundated as Bangkok may about to be.

Even if the water treatment plants don't get flooded, could you imagine what mess could potentially go into the pipes supplying the city water if there is 2ft of water downtown for a day or so?

To put things in perspective, for the last 2 months we have been surrounded by flood waters in Pichit, thus no septic tanks or field. All waste, human and garbage, ended up in mae nam. Multiply that by the several million people in everywhere from Phitsanulok & Tak south who are affected by the flooding and it's not hard to figure where all that contaminated, albeit diluted water is heading. The garbage collects at the dams before it enters the Ayuttaya area and is removed in massive heaps by the government.Bottled or at least boiled water is safe. Even if you do drink Bangkok tap water in an emergency, it won't kill you, maybe a bit longer in the toilet though.

Well, I won't take your word for it during a time of flood to be perfectly frank. Brushing teeth and filtered I drink it sometimes. But, if the s**t hits the fan in Bangkok I will be sticking to bottled thanks.

I would imagine that getting supplies to the stores is logistically difficult. Flooded highways means the normal routes aren't available for transport.

I usually boil water, but I regularly drink tap water as well, with no adverse effects. If you are short of water, then fill bottles and pails with tap water. Boil if possible before drinking. I know it sounds yuky, but the water in the toilet tank is clean.

I won't be drinking the tap water unboiled if I have any reason to believe the purification system has been compromised.

I live in an area that has been marked as a danger area. I haven't stockpiled much, but could get by for a week to 10 days if need be.

As for food delivery--maybe only submarine sandwiches.

I would imagine that getting supplies to the stores is logistically difficult. Flooded highways means the normal routes aren't available for transport.

I usually boil water, but I regularly drink tap water as well, with no adverse effects. If you are short of water, then fill bottles and pails with tap water. Boil if possible before drinking. I know it sounds yuky, but the water in the toilet tank is clean.

I won't be drinking the tap water unboiled if I have any reason to believe the purification system has been compromised.

I live in an area that has been marked as a danger area. I haven't stockpiled much, but could get by for a week to 10 days if need be.

As for food delivery--maybe only submarine sandwiches.

there are a few bacterial which can survive boiling. They are dangerous for medical purposes. Don't know if they can harm if being in the drinking water.

Telling people to drink tap water in Thailand at any time is pretty irresponsible but during a time of a national flood and in a city with an open sewerage system is just stupid.

You go do that and let me know what happens.

Telling people to drink tap water in Thailand at any time is pretty irresponsible but during a time of a national flood and in a city with an open sewerage system is just stupid.

You go do that and let me know what happens.

I would say as more it taste like chlorine as better.

boiling it for a few minutes should do the trick.

If you have these pressure cooking gear (don't know the name) and cook it under pressure for a longer time it should be even better.

In case you have no other choice than drinking unsecure things (everyone can stay 2 days without drinking, not good for the kidney but better than an infection).

Nothing to boil, think of the coffee machine, microwave, torch from the workshop.

Silver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligodynamic_effect (Gold also????? anyone know) kills bacteria

5-10 min before eating/drinking a strong (really strong, not Germany strong) coffee and/or whiskey, vodka, lao kao, even when it is breakfast makes the stomach more sour which helps a little.

Everything does not make it safe but everything helps a little....

i have never drank tap water inn bangkok unless its been boiled first in coffee or something

my friend woke up hungover once and drank some tap water in a hotel

he spent most of the day on the crapper .........

Obviously absolutely nothing to do with the previous nights events!!! :rolleyes:

Both chlorine bleach and iodine(betadene)can be used to treat drinking water for emergency short time use.In fact, bleach is recommended over boiling by experts since extended boiling is required to make water safe, and this is not always practical in disaster situations.Since doing it wrongly can be dangerous, I suggest you look up the procedure on the net yourselves.

It's certainly easy to tell which flavors of mama people really detest these days. I've been through runs on the grocery store back home several times during hurricanes and everything gets cleaned out, so looking down an entirely empty Big C aisle of mama and seeing one lone row of clam flavor was pretty chuckleworthy. That stuff must truly be awful.

For those in central BKK, I'd also offer a shopping suggestion, at least as of tonight, Wednesday evening...

In a city full of mostly Thais, when there's a potential run on supplies, you really don't want to go shopping where all the Thais mostly shop...and thus empty the shelves...

Last night in the market at Siam Paragon and tonight, just now at my local Villa Market, things (and stocks of food supplies) were pretty much normal, meaning no apparent shortages or empty shelves.

Paragon seemed a bit busier last night than normal and I saw some Thais stocking up with overflowing grocery carts, but Villa tonight wasn't any different from a normal night. No more customers than normal, and people not buying larger quantities than normal. They even had a display of 12-packs of bottled water right near the checkout stands.

In cruising around my Villa in the past hour, I found plentiful stocks of water, milk, fruit juices, rice, beans, cereals, and various other of the kinds of basic essentials one might want to stock in in case of trouble/flooding/potential power outages. They even had stocks of canned goods including beans and tuna and such, though a bit less than normal.

And the prices at Paragon and Villa were, just for the record, exactly what they normally would be for the items I bought...

The last couple weeks though, at different markets, I have noticed a shortage or absence of some pretty routine produce items... Lately, had a very hard time finding fresh mint at any number of places... And last night, to my surprise, Paragon market was entirely out of regular potatoes, for some odd reason... Never seen that before. But the rest of the produce section was quite well stocked.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

For those in central BKK, I'd also offer a shopping suggestion, at least as of tonight, Wednesday evening...

In a city full of mostly Thais, when there's a potential run on supplies, you really don't want to go shopping where all the Thais mostly shop...and thus empty the shelves...

Last night in the market at Siam Paragon and tonight, just now at my local Villa Market, things (and stocks of food supplies) were pretty much normal, meaning no apparent shortages or empty shelves.

Paragon seemed a bit busier last night than normal and I saw some Thais stocking up with overflowing grocery carts, but Villa tonight wasn't any different from a normal night. No more customers than normal, and people not buying larger quantities than normal. They even had a display of 12-packs of bottled water right near the checkout stands.

In cruising around my Villa in the past hour, I found plentiful stocks of water, milk, fruit juices, rice, beans, cereals, and various other of the kinds of basic essentials one might want to stock in in case of trouble/flooding/potential power outages. They even had stocks of canned goods including beans and tuna and such, though a bit less than normal.

And the prices at Paragon and Villa were, just for the record, exactly what they normally would be for the items I bought...

The last couple weeks though, at different markets, I have noticed a shortage or absence of some pretty routine produce items... Lately, had a very hard time finding fresh mint at any number of places... And last night, to my surprise, Paragon market was entirely out of regular potatoes, for some odd reason... Never seen that before. But the rest of the produce section was quite well stocked.

Most locals avoid getting groceries at Villa or Paragon because the stuff there is much more expensive then Tesco or Big C. Of course if everywhere else is sold out and things don't get better, expect Paragon and the respective Villas to be sold out too. Was at Villa at La Villa Ari earlier and the cheaper brands of canned tuna and baked beans were all sold out. The 'normal' price everyday bread was sold out too leaving the expensive ones.

It would seem the Sukhumvit area Villas are faring better than the one you mention above... Found everything I was looking for, no problem.

But more broadly, I think you're making some incorrect over-generalizations... I do all the shopping for my family, and have for the past four years in BKK...

For some things, Villa and Paragon are always more expensive, mostly I'd say for fresh meat and fruits and vegetables (of course the vegetables at Tesco are usually pretty sad)... But for a lot of other food items, packaged and canned, they're the same price or sometimes even lower than Big C and Tesco.. And I know, because I regularly shop all of them...

I too had made that kind of assumption about places like the Paragon market when I first came here... But after years of actually pricing the same items regularly at all those different stores... it's not as simple as that.

Just for example, my wife like Davidoff brand instant coffees... At Foodland and Big C, they're regularly around 330 to 350 baht per jar... But at Paragon market, it's almost always on sale for about 240 to 250 baht... Likewise, when I buy cartons of Yolida natural yogurt, it's usually pretty much always the same price at all the different markets. And even for cartons of fruit juice like Malee or Tipco, the Paragon market regularly has them on sale at equal or better prices than the others.

And, I know, pretty much everything I brought home from Villa tonight I would not have found for any lower prices at either Tesco or Big C... Of course, I knew what things to buy and not to buy at Villa in order to pay a fair, market price.

But...I guess the main point to emphasize is... the Sukhumvit area Villas and Paragon market at least remain decently stocked as of tonight... So if you've been to your local Tesco or Big C and come away empty... there are alternatives available still.

When flooding occurs, virtually anywhere, even in countries with high quality water/sewer systems, what happens is seepage from sewage contaminates ground water, if the pressure of the ground water exceeds the internal pressure of the drinking water supply pipes, the seepage occurs from the outside (ground water) into the drinking water mains, contaminating the drinking water. Virtually all water supply and sewage systems leak due to movement of the pipes. It is normal to have drinking water supply lines next to sewage lines and normally nobody worries since the higher pressure in the water supply lines causes an outflow and prevents inflow from nearby sewage contaminated water. But in flooding pumps may fail, and the water pressure may drop even temporarily allowing contamination. Therefore during floods all drinking water from the potable water supply system, if it is still working, should be boiled (rolling boil) for two to five minutes. Ordinary 5% hypochlorite chlorine bleach (without perfume/color) can also be used. Add two drops per liter or quart, stir, let it sit for 30 minutes and smell it. There should be a mild chlorine smell, if not, add one more drop, stir and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Another potential problem is contracting leptospirosis from flood waters. Leptospirosis is a disease known by many names, in Asia Rat Fever and Paddy Fever. It is common (endemic) in rodents and other animals and is transmitted via urine, as long as the spirochete (a form/shape of bacteria) remains damp it can survive. It's main route into the body is via small cuts or scrapes, or through mucous membranes (eye/nose/throat/vagina). Thus wading through flood waters carries a risk. When Manila flooded in 2009 leptospirosis was a problem, especially because the form that occurred there was a high-mortality form. (Since many species of the genus leptospira can be present, some disease may be fairly mild in symptoms, and some severe. Some form can be equal or worse in severity to Dengue. Most recover, but fatalities occur. Symptoms may not appear for 5-7 days. I cringe to see photos of children playing in flood waters for this reason.

The car battery is a good idea, indeed there are even solar charging systems and 12-24v batteries sold to be used as back-up power. Many have gelled sulfuric acid, and thus cannot leak which can be a problem with car batteries. Also remember when charging indoors that the charging process creates hydrogen gas which, though not poisonous in the quantity generated can create high levels of hydrogen in the headspace of the battery, such that a nearby spark or ignition source can cause a serious explosion compounded by the sulfuric acid in the battery. Inverters that can change 12 or 24volt to 220v probably exist in Thailand. One mistake many make is to look at the ampere-hour rating of the battery and then translate it to the wattage of the device to be used (light or radio) and over-rating the usable output. To find the actual output, for instance, how long a 12 volt battery will power a 12 watt fluorescent light, research the conversion factor online first or you may find that your light goes out in half the time that you expect.

I cant believe that food suppliers would raise their prices in times of difficulty. Their like vultures preying on the weak and downtrodden. Great human spirit.

grow up supply and demand its only temporary and idiots who panic and buy more than a few days of basics will get stung and deserve it. Its obviously sensible to have 3-4 days basic supplies at home and market acts like a great dampener of otherwise hording. Its not a war just a few weeks so no need to get so uppity. In a war of course governments have a duty to ration basics but i cant see anyone starving ok whistling.gif

Good advice john, however most people like to shop in one go.

Now if I could get foodland meat, villas cereals, emporiums deli, big c's tissues, tops bakeries @ tesco I would be a happy camper.

Haha... You hit it pretty much dead on, James...

I too wish I could find the good quality, decently priced things I want all in one place, or at least most of them... But alas, not so in BKK.

I too think Foodland tends to have the best value/quality for their meats... Villas have a great/broad selection of cereals, more than almost all the others...

Tops (in their various incarnations including the markets at Central Childom and Central World) are where I buy most of my bakery things... And Big C most of the routine household stuff like paper products, cleaners, Thai stuff, and anything else not specialized elsewhere, etc etc...

It's almost a full-time job... Unfortunately, it's not one anyone's willing to pay me a salary for... :D

dried and canned foods have been missing from the shelves for days in tesco and big c ,panic buying started last weekend

drinking water is also sold out in most shops ,people are getting ready for a big one

sandbags cost:

20 thb 3 days ago

35 thb 2 days ago

50 thb 1 day ago

since yesterday and today they have been impossible to get at any price and some people are building real bricks and mortar flood walls around their homes in bangkok :) (ramphakaeng rd area )

Dang,,, guess I'm lucky I got mine when they were still going for 35... No idea if 100 will be enough. Some neighbors have more, many have none...

Wow, you can run your house lights on 12V DC? How cool is that? :rolleyes:

Personally I've always found that candles and flashlights work just fine... :whistling: