People Are Stockpiling Foods For Fear Of Bangkok Flooding

george

I have just returned fromAyuutaya where I brought food and other stuff to relatives.

There is a lot of good willand good heart amongst the Thais to help the victims of flood

Everybody the government locals and volunteers arehelping 100 procent There is food medicine and drink enough to distribute amongthe victims of the flood.There are also a lot of jetskis and boats and I even seen one boat from a rescue team ofPattaya

But what I missed when I wason the scene was a total lack of any coordination and organization

I have family staying intheir house on the second floor and each time the boat with food passes theyask for food but the answer is always we have to do the next street first andwe come back …but they never come back. Maybe this is only an exception So wewere obliged to bring food to them which they picked up with a boat.

There is plenty of food inthe camps for the people who left their homes but the distribution is chaos.I even think some of them after the floodcan begin a supermarket ….

You cannot win a battle onlywith the good spirit and will to help ifthere is no good coordination and organisation

Edited by metisdead
Font size reset, use default forum font when posting.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:offtopic:

Have you ever had those noodles? The toilet paper is dual purpose. First to wipe the stain off your shirt and 6 hours later to wipe your...

Yes but true and quite humerous. A bit of levity perhaps?

Was in tops yesterday and the good news that farang type foods were aplenty. Sorry, mama noodles and tinned fish were picked over.

Condom levels at the cashier appeared normal however.

Rice shelves seemed less full than normal but the donut shops were very busy in the mall.

Beer seemed to be holding out ok as too were the whitening creams.

Nuts were in short supply but plenty potatoe chips available.

I will venture out to my nearest foodland later this morning and will report back if I find anything out of the ordinary ;)

Yep James, mama noodles are gone...but there are condoms on the shelves aplenty...

Guess that tells you what the local folks use...and don't use. B)

BTW, I should have mentioned earlier... of course.... common-man Thais use rolls of toilet paper the same way western folks use napkins and paper towels -- in addition to TP's other more elemental use...

So that multi use functions probably helps account for the empty shelves.

Stopped by the Big C Radjadamri store early this afternoon...

And while I didn't visit the mama noodles section, the store at large looked pretty normally stocked....

No shortage, based on my shopping, of essentials like bottled water, milk, meat, vegetables, fruits, rice, sugar, oil, even paper towels and TP...

The store itself wasn't even particularly busy... No lines at the checkout counters... etc etc...

PS - I didn't stop to check the strawberry flavored condoms section... I'll leave that task to James... :o

The telephone system has backup batteries so they will work in case of a power outage. It's designed to do it.

However it may take you a 'while' to boil a pot of water for your tea... you'll be lucky to get 30mA out of it, which is barely enough to light a couple of LEDs. It is nice for an emergency backup light though.

Stopped by the Big C Radjadamri store early this afternoon...

And while I didn't visit the mama noodles section, the store at large looked pretty normally stocked....

No shortage, based on my shopping, of essentials like bottled water, milk, meat, vegetables, fruits, rice, sugar, oil, even paper towels and TP...

The store itself wasn't even particularly busy... No lines at the checkout counters... etc etc...

PS - I didn't stop to check the strawberry flavored condoms section... I'll leave that task to James... :o

My local store is also fully stocked up to now... and the Strawberry condoms weren't sold out until after I left.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm in Chumphon town Tesco, Big C, and Makro are just about all out of big waters are

Tesco was completely out of big and small waters....only a couple of boxes of the tiny 200ml waters were left. That entire wall was "restocked" with plenty of soda items, i'm guessing to have the store look "normal" and not "cleared out", which would have probably encouraged more panic buying. I did not check Ocean Mall. I can confirm Makro was unusually busy. Water was 90% sold out and lines were longer than normal for that time of the day.

Rice looked normal. did not check noodles. everything else appeared normal.

edit: I really admire how tesco made that whole wall of what used to be water appear like it never had water at all.

Locally, the pepsi/water delivery truck was sold out of big crystal water last week (1.5 liters) and is doubtful if he will have any more anytime soon. But we still have those big water jugs that are made locally and cost 10-15 baht. I might pick one up from landlord. But then I need a machine to dispense it.

Edited by 4evermaat

I can confirm in Chumphon town Tesco, Big C, and Makro are just about all out of big waters are

Tesco was completely out of big and small waters....only a couple of boxes of the tiny 200ml waters were left. That entire wall was "restocked" with plenty of soda items, i'm guessing to have the store look "normal" and not "cleared out", which would have probably encouraged more panic buying. I did not check Ocean Mall. I can confirm Makro was unusually busy. Water was 90% sold out and lines were longer than normal for that time of the day.

Rice looked normal. did not check noodles. everything else appeared normal.

edit: I really admire how tesco made that whole wall of what used to be water appear like it never had water at all.

Locally, the pepsi/water delivery truck was sold out of big crystal water last week (1.5 liters) and is doubtful if he will have any more anytime soon. But we still have those big water jugs that are made locally and cost 10-15 baht. I might pick one up from landlord. But then I need a machine to dispense it.

If available I suggest you buy those big a few of those big water jugs (i.e. for water coolers) full of water before they disappear. You don't need a dispenser (water cooler), just tip it over and pour it into smaller bottles. The empty big cooler jugs are very useful for using to put water in later, if things deteriorate to the point where water trucks are coming thru your neighborhood to supply potable water.

There's yet more double-talk going on from the government...

I hear them keep saying there's only shortages of bottled water and other stuff in flooded areas...

But clearly, as various people in this thread and elsewhere are posting, there are shortages of bottled water and other things in various parts of Thailand far from anything that's flooded...

Presumably that's because warehouses and/or supply chains have been flooded/disrupted and/or because supplies are being redirected to flooded areas.... although, from the reports I'm seeing, it doesn't sound like a lot is getting put out by the government.

Let's see if Malaysian and/or South Korean bottled water starts showing up on BKK shelves next week as promised... I seriously doubt it.

There's yet more double-talk going on from the government...

I hear them keep saying there's only shortages of bottled water and other stuff in flooded areas...

But clearly, as various people in this thread and elsewhere are posting, there are shortages of bottled water and other things in various parts of Thailand far from anything that's flooded...

Presumably that's because warehouses and/or supply chains have been flooded/disrupted and/or because supplies are being redirected to flooded areas.... although, from the reports I'm seeing, it doesn't sound like a lot is getting put out by the government.

Let's see if Malaysian and/or South Korean bottled water starts showing up on BKK shelves next week as promised... I seriously doubt it.

Expect shortages of everything.

Beer especially! :burp:

We've been seeing shortages for few days on Samui, far from the floods, but still part of the disrupted supply chain. I fully expect it to get worse, how much is the $69,000 question.

PS. Tesco beer shelves were pretty ravaged, couldn't help noticing, though I wasn't buying.

Edited by animatic

We've been seeing shortages for few days on Samui, far from the floods, but still part of the disrupted supply chain. I fully expect it to get worse, how much is the $69,000 question.

PS. Tesco beer shelves were pretty ravaged, couldn't help noticing, though I wasn't buying.

My local Big C is all out of beer. They still have a few pallets of Leo though. :whistling:

I went shopping at my local Villa Market yest.. And while I don't consider this an essential item, since folks above are posting about it...

The beer shelves were basically empty... A few bottles of Asahi and a few San Mig. Light... But not a single bottle of Hein, Chang, Sing, Leo, Feder, etc etc....

There were, however, no shortage of 5L cases of Mont Clair red and white...

They also had meat, veggies, some canned goods, breads, milk and infant stuff, and most other things... Far better stocked that the larger Big C by comparison.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The Mont Clair is a little rough but in these difficult times it's something to wash down the barbecued drowned soi dog ..or cat at the campfire on the roof..

Bon Apetit !

1319687400[/url]' post='4798756']
1319684307[/url]' post='4798619'] ....

The Mont Clair is a little rough but in these difficult times it's something to wash down the barbecued drowned soi dog ..or cat at the campfire on the roof..

Bon Apetit !

I had similar thoughts , wine for the Roadkill Handbook.. In this case wine to drink with things you caught floating by.Sorry folks, black humor for darkened times.

Edited by animatic

Hi,

Where can i find Bleach in Bangkok? This is to purify the water. Any advise in how to spell in Thai? Thank you!

Any larger supermarket, and maybe even 7/11s, are going to stock it...

The common brand here is called "Haiter" and labeled as such on the bottles.

Some of the farang type supermarkets like Paragon, Villa, Central and maybe even some Tops also stock Clorox brand.

But for water purifying purposes, you want to make sure to get the un-scented, plain variety bleach with no additives... I'm not sure, but I've been told the blue color Haiter bottles are their plain variety, in addition to the pink and yellow varieties they also have.

I bought plain Clorox brand at the Siam Paragon basement supermarket just to be sure.

Thank you very much. Much appreciated!

Hi,

Where can i find Bleach in Bangkok? This is to purify the water. Any advise in how to spell in Thai? Thank you!

Any larger supermarket, and maybe even 7/11s, are going to stock it...

The common brand here is called "Haiter" and labeled as such on the bottles.

Some of the farang type supermarkets like Paragon, Villa, Central and maybe even some Tops also stock Clorox brand.

But for water purifying purposes, you want to make sure to get the un-scented, plain variety bleach with no additives... I'm not sure, but I've been told the blue color Haiter bottles are their plain variety, in addition to the pink and yellow varieties they also have.

I bought plain Clorox brand at the Siam Paragon basement supermarket just to be sure.

Re using bleach to purify tap water, you'd only need two drops of bleach per litre of clear tap water, and 4 drops per litre for cloudy water.... And best to use a coffee filter or clean cloth or such to filter any non clear water before using bleach on it...

Thus, a little bleach goes a long way for water purifying purposes... Worse comes to worse, you'll have some leftover for your laundry when all this flood stuff is over.... Or, unfortunately, save for next year should the same stuff occur all over again.