Cirrus & Maestro Atm Cards...

I currently have a Natwest account in the UK and use my Natwest ATM card to draw out money here in Thailand. At the moment I am being hit with a 5% fee everytime i use the service. Is there any way to avoid these fees? or do i just have to transfer a bulk amount to a thai bank account?.

many thanks,

I currently have a Natwest account in the UK and use my Natwest ATM card to draw out money here in Thailand. At the moment I am being hit with a 5% fee everytime i use the service. Is there any way to avoid these fees? or do i just have to transfer a bulk amount to a thai bank account?.

many thanks,

You might want to check whether Natwest has a ATM fee-free account, or else change banks. My bank in the USA charges nothing for up to five ATM transactions per month, after which it charges US$1.50 per withdrawal.

On the Thailand end, most Thai ATM machines collect a minimal amount, 10-20B per transaction, but some are more expensive, up to 45B or more. Best to stick with Kasikorn Bank, Krung Thai, Siam Commercial Bank or Bangkok Bank machines.

Is this Thai fee something new? I have never paid any fee to use Cirrus/Visa at a Thai bank ATM but have not been doing so recently as find it much cheaper/easier to use a local ATM card.

If OP has a local bank account transfer of a large amount and a local card would be my recommendation for long term use. Although believe there is a UK bank without charges that would probably be worth a check - many mentions in this forum if you read back.

Edited by lopburi3

many thanks,

Open an account with the Nationwide Building Society. They have no charges on ATM withdrawal and no foriegn exchange charges

Nationwide is dee card...get one...

Incidently i had to open a new Bangers Bank account yesterday (lost me old book)and they gave me a free watch ....not a low-lex but what the heck .......from a bank :o

I just opened a Nationwide flex account for the above reasons. Took about 10-15 minutes and they gave me an overdraft of £750 as well. Cheque book and ATM card arrived about a week later.

If you use the card abroad, no withdrawal charges and a "market" rate of exchange.

I know it's only a fiver here and there, but if you use your card ten times x 4 trips = £200...which is about the third of the cost of a flight to LOS...

Note...On the BBC today.. banks make £250 million in the UK from charging people to withdraw their own money!!!

:o

many thanks,

5%? Unheard to me. The banks in Thai that have no agreement with my Oz bank (Westpac) charge 120B per transaction. Siam City Commercial Bank charges nothing.

See the list of banks affiliated with yours.

about 1 year ago i did enquiry this new fees , it is 3 % for me , not only on withdraw but on purchases too ( that got me really piss as many shop want to charge you 3 % on top )

i telephone the bank , they told me it is VISA fees .

start to cripple anywhere .

when i went back to Oz i telephone to cancelled my visa from ANZ and national , both they give me a better rate ( withdraw ) what i do not use ! and free membership ( about 75 dollar ) gold card !

i apply for Amex for the withdraw , charge only 1.25 dollars but the exchange rate do not look good as visa !

I start to get bank transfer from OZ to Thailand !

simple -

nationwide for atm card and credit card

lombard direct for credit card

both have no charges for foreign currency transactions... it is one of nationwides unique selling points and is unlikely to change in the near future...

for more info see moneysavingexpert.org - one of the best uk based websites for getting the best deals...

Edited by Khun Bob