Where Can I Order Macbook Pro 8Gb Ram Online?

ianwuk

Hello.

I have a mid-2010 13-inch Macbook Pro which uses DDR3 1066Mhz SODIMM RAM modules.

I currently have 4GB installed but want to upgrade to 8GB but I cannot find the two required 4GB modules anywhere - all I can find are the same spec with a faster speed (1333).

The Apple store I went to (and several others) all have the faster speed, they tried that and my poor Macbook Pro crashes on startup, I performed some research and it seems that this Macbook Pro model in particular requires that speed specifically (1066Mhz) and will not function with any other. Ironically it will run 6GB if you use 4GB (1066) and 2GB (1333).

Where can I purchase an 8GB upgrade kit online (Apple website charges 13,000 Baht - no way!) that is moderately priced and offers cheap/free shipping to Thailand?

Many thanks.

Ian

Anywhere? Where did you look?

I have 8GB 1333 installed in my 2009 MacBook Pro 17 - the original RAM was 1066. No problems. It should be backwards compatible. That's what the guy at hardware house international told me, and it seemed to be spot on. You might need high quality RAM - my MBP had some cheapo 8GB RAM installed prior to this, and that crashed under OS X 10.6.

I'd go to Hardware House and choose the higher quality laptop RAM they have, and see if that works. They install it on the spot, so easy to see. If it works in a 2009, it should work in a 2010... cost 1300 BHT / 4G stick, probably cheaper by now.

The Apple dealer isn't such a good place to shop, and forget about the crazy prices in the online store.

If all else fails, you can order online from OWC (Google them) - they ship to Thailand.

Edited by nikster

I went to Hardware House, Pantip and various branches of The Mall/Central.

They all have Kingston RAM and when they fitted it the Macbook crashes on the Apple logo (even the icon that shows that it is loading crashed).

I will try the site mentioned.

Thanks very much.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Hardware House, Pantip and various branches of The Mall/Central.

They all have Kingston RAM and when they fitted it the Macbook crashes on the Apple logo (even the icon that shows that it is loading crashed).

I will try the site mentioned.

Thanks very much.

Ian

Try using the mac scanner on the Crucial website Crucial as this will identify your existing ram and come up with a list of options. You could then print this sheet off to cross reference. The 1066 is available from Crucial and costs £40.79 for 2@ 4Gb sticks as a kit as my MBP also runs the 1066 ram. If you know someone coming out from the UK maybe they could order it and bring it out to you. They also have a stateside store and an EU store so this may be your solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a suggestion from another thread here One World Computing. I had it shipped in a Thai name and paid no customs and was much cheaper then the ram here.

It was for my MacBook.

OWC

http://www.macsales.com/

The first 8GB of RAM I got for my 2009 MacBook Pro unibody 17" came from OWC. Like you said, no trouble shipping internationally, and at the time a fraction of the price what it was in Thailand.

However - I had bought the cheapest RAM. It was certified to work in my machine. And it worked just fine for many months on OS X 10.5. But then 10.6 came along, and the OWC RAM caused random crashes. Two or three total system freezes a day. It took me forever to figure this out, too - I thought 10.6 just didn't work on my computer. Only after somebody in the Apple discussion forums pointed out to me - repeatedly - that newer OS versions can have stricter constraints on the type of RAM used did I take out the OWC RAM, installed my original 4GB Apple RAM - and presto, no crashes at all. I couldn't really believe it - what does the software have to do with something as low-level as RAM? But - it does!

So buyer beware, don't get the cheapest RAM, get a brand name.

BTW I am sure OWC would have exchanged the RAM for me but I didn't want to go through the hassle of mailing it in, trying another batch, and possibly repeating this a few times so I just got quality RAM locally where they try it out right in the store and I can go and return it if I have problems. Never had any issues with the Elixir brand though.

Edited by nikster